insomnia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-10-2001, 07:56 AM
insomnia

has anyone had trouble sleeping? i wasn't a great sleeper before my surgery, but i sure can't sleep at all now...at the beginning, i thought it was just because i was sleeping so much during the day but now that i'm pretty much back to my normal schedule, i'm still not resting very well at nite...i hate to take more medication and i tryed tylenolpm which actually kept me awake (go figure that)...anyways, was just wondering...5 weeks post-op today, radiation coming a week from today...thank you for listening and this is such a cool website...it's been a God send...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2001, 08:26 AM
insomnia

Hi Tammy,
Glad to see you here posting, although I am very sorry for the circumstances that brought you to this board!! But its a wonderful place to be when going through this. We are a small group ( thankfully), but a wonderful support for each other here.

I am almost a year post op and almost 9 months since finishing my chemo treatments, and I have to tell you, I haven't slept the same as I did before all this.

I was a really good sleeper. I was always a night-hawk but I find now I am tired, but unable to sleep. I haven't tried taking anything for it yet, but if something doesn't change soon I am going to have to I think.

Last night was a perfect example. The last time I looked at the clock it was 3:15. I get up at 5:30 for work, although I don't leave the house until 7:30 but I like to have that much time in the mornings to take my time. So.....I am just beat, and ended up taking a half day vacation and came home from work early.

My problem is that I could easily sleep right after work for a couple hours, but that messes up my sleep at night. So I find its a viscious circle.

I would think Tammy in your case its probably got alot to do with the news you have just been dealt. Not only that you needed the surgery but that you were also dealing with cancer and radiation. I remember those early times very well, as I am sure all here can atest to as well. Your mind is going constantly, and that would attribute to your sleeping problems I am sure.

Definitely talk to your doctor about it though, as once you start your treatments they may tire you out, so you need your rest!
Hang in there, we are all here for ya!!
Hugs,
Maria
Unread 09-10-2001, 01:45 PM
insomnia

Tammy so glad that you found us considering all that you are going through. We are here always , whenever you need us.

As for the sleeping ( or lack of ) it is very normal after a hysterectomy not to be able to sleep and on top of that you have the cancer and upcoming treatment to deal with. All this adds up to no sleep.

My mind was so busy dealing with it all and I found that it did interrupt sleep. While going through my treatment I tried to rest as much as possible ,whenever I could. It was an escape sometimes . I tried taking sleeping pills but they didnt work at all. Then I started to drink a cup of warm milk with honey about 1/2 an hour before bed which did help some. I would do as Maria suggests and have a chat to the DR. Hope the sandman visits soon

Best of luck with your treatments and please do remember that we are all here for you , always . Much love x x x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2001, 02:25 PM
insomnia

Hi--

I've had trouble sleeping since my surgery also. I mentioned it to my doc, and he gave a prescription for Ambien -- I've only had to use it a few times in the past year. (It's a mild sleeping pill that works fairly quickly). As always, I agree that you should consult with your doctor before starting any medicine...

Love,

Cyndy
Unread 09-10-2001, 10:32 PM
insomnia

Hi Tammy,

I remember after my surgery (even while still in the hospital) I suddenly became a night owl, which was NOT my normal in any way, shape or form. It really hit about 4 or so weeks after, I thought it too was from resting so much during the day but I'll tell ya, once I started the chemo treatments and went back to work I went the exact oposite. I actually had some of my best sleep while undergoing the treatments (mainly due to the meds I was given)

Its really been an up and down thing since then, as Maria mentioned, the "thinking" has alot to do with it. I find some nights its hard to get to sleep, then stay asleep but other nights I'm out like a light. I tried the Tylenol PM which did work and also tried Melatonin, which work ok also.

Since beginning a new med for my platelet problem, I haven't had as many problems with insomnia, thankfully. There are several things the Dr can give you to help with it if it continues to be a problem, but make sure you don't let it go on too much, you need to save your strength for your upcoming treatments.

We're all here for you, in whatever way you need. Please keep us posted on how you are doing when you can.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 09-11-2001, 05:54 AM
insomnia

Oh I remember it taking months for my sleeping patterns to get back to normal. I would be fine and then go through a bout of not being able to sleep. Besides the surgery, you have treatments on your mind and I'm sure that is only adding to your inability to rest. Have you tried some warm ovaltine or a good book to try to help you rest? That use to help me...and posting in here during the wee hours of the morning!
I hope that sweet dreams are yours very soon!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register