8 Weeks Post Op and experiencing swelling/sagging belly | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

8 Weeks Post Op and experiencing swelling/sagging belly 8 Weeks Post Op and experiencing swelling/sagging belly

Unread 08-16-2009, 08:11 PM
8 Weeks Post Op and experiencing swelling/sagging belly

Hi,

I had a complete hysterectomy on June 18th and am supposed to go back to work tomorrow. I am nervous because I am experiencing a sagging "apron" that is still painful. I am also experiencing diarrhea after walking a short distance. This bothers me as walking is currently the only exercise my OB-GYN has allowed me to do. Anyone else experiencing these problems?

My OB-GYN told me to go back to normal activities; however, when I pressed about going back to the gym, she told me that I could go but I could not use my legs and could not lift more than 5 lbs! Who goes to the gym and does not use their legs and/or does not lift more than 5 lbs.?

I've also been experiencing hot flashes in earnest the past week or so. While I was waiting in my primary MD's office, I had hot flashes for a full 45 minutes! I have PCOS and HRT is not an option because, for me, the additional hormones can cause breast or colorectal cancer.

I am a bit worried about going back to work and the walking/diarrhea problem as my walk from the parking lot to the door is about a 1/4 mile.

I am also experiencing lower back ache, hair loss, weight gain (probably due to my inability to exercise), loss of appetite, hot flashes, abdominal pain (stabbing pain), anxiety, etc. My OB-GYN has referred me to my primary MD because she says my symptoms are not related to my surgery. My primary MD says that my symptoms are, most definitely, related to my surgery and sent me back to my OB-GYN. She has no answers for me except for me to loose weight before she sees me again in January.

Anyone have anything to offer me in the way of support? Has anyone experienced anything similar? It's very frustrating and I don't need the added stress while still recovering.

Thanks for listening!!

Best wishes,
Chaya hang:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2009, 08:30 PM
Re: 8 Weeks Post Op and experiencing swelling/sagging belly

I'm so sorry you're still not feeling well. I have no answers, but can only say to keep pressing your doctors until you find the answer. Keep us posted!
Unread 08-16-2009, 10:01 PM

I have no answers either but I do want to tell you that I had a complete abd. hys. on May 5 and over the weekend I was involved in the move of a business which required heavy lifting (desks etc.) I am in alot of pain and my stomach is swollen again. I feel similar to when I first had my hyst. My stomach area is soooo tender. I am wondering if it is just overdoing it or what is going on. Any answers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2009, 10:50 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. I will keep pressing my MDs for answers. I'm worried that I'll have severe abdominal pain again tomorrow and be sent home from work on my first day back.

Swollenbelly...I would definitely call your OB-GYN and get checked out. The last thing you want is to have an abdominal tear/pull or worse.

My OB-GYN told me that I won't be able to get back into doing something very physical (lifting anything over 5 lbs.) for a few more months, so I suspect even lifting weights at the gym will have to wait until close to the end of the year. This is a bit awkward for me since she (my OB-GYN) told me that I needed to lose a lot of weight prior to my next appointment with her which is in January.

I'll keep you posted! Thanks, again, for the responses.

Best wishes,
Chaya
Unread 08-16-2009, 10:53 PM

Hi There,

I had my hyst on June 19th and am in my 8th wk post-op too.

I got on here tonight due to my belly being swollen as well. I went to a concert last evening and did more walking that I have done since prior to the surgery. It was quite a hike to/from venue to the car.

I felt fine last night and got home around midnight. Today My insides are aching, my belly is swollen more than it has been since the first weeks of recovery. I also started having a brown discharge today. Is it possible at 8 weeks to overdo it still? Even if only walking?
Unread 08-17-2009, 08:27 AM

I'm 7 weeks post-TAH-BSO and my abdomen still gets pretty sore if I am up a lot during the day. Yesterday I had a lot to do, and I paid for it by evening. sharp pain and soreness. Still sore this morning too.

I am a veteran of the poop wars. I have had diverticulosis for years. Here's a suggestion to help with the walk from your parking: Get up 30 minutes earlier in the morning and walk. Physical activity can trigger the bowels. You should try to get things all through before you leave home. Now for driving home, don't eat anything after lunch, make sure you save your in work walking errands for the last hour of the day, and visit the bathroom before you leave. It's a pain to have to try to plan these visits, but you have to o what you have to do!
Unread 08-17-2009, 06:56 PM

I'm not a doctor, but to me it sounds like your symptoms are related to your surgery. I thought I was having hot flashes - and also had the stabbing pains and then cramping in the ab. - around to the low back and sometimes into my right leg. The "hot flashes" was actually my temperature spiking and the stabbing pain was fluid built up in my abdomen - hematoma, infection, etc. I had no idea and thought it was just part of the recovery until it got so bad I had to go back into the hospital. Check your temperature and be sure you aren't running fever. The weird thing about mine is that it would spike on and off through the day. I would wake up and feel fine - then have the spike and pain for awhile...then fine...then spike and pain. Really weird. That's why I assumed it was hot flashes or something. The things you are describing can be so many different things, but all things I've either experienced or have read on this site as others experiencing. If your OBGYN isn't giving you a proper exam, checking your blood for high white blood count, iron levels, etc. - go to another. There are too many serious complications that can take place but go undetected with out the proper testing. Fluid in your abdomen, infection, hematoma, etc. can be detected with a CT scan - and that's not a big deal if it saves you weeks of recovery set back, pain and expense in the long run. I'm not saying you have complications - but rule it out so that you know physically and emotionally what you are experiencing is just part of how YOU are healing and it will be temporary. The worst place to be is in a situation where you DON'T know. Being in the dark, not knowing what to expect - or why things are happening is just a punishment to add to your physical distress. I hope all is well and this is just what your body is going through as a result of going through major surgery and it will start to recover and you'll feel better. Best case scenario is that it's just part of the process and all is well - worst case is something bigger is going on but you catch it in time to resolve it without major set back and complication. Good luck - you're in my thoughts and prayers!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register