cough after TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

cough after TAH cough after TAH

Unread 08-18-2009, 01:48 PM
cough after TAH

Hello, I am a week away from surgery and am having a TAH. I have a chronic cough due to asthma and post-nasal drip. I cough every day, throughout the day. My insurance has now denied me the meds that help best to control these two problems. I'm very worried about coughing after surgery. Any advice? I have heard about a tummy pillow...is that just any random pillow, or a certain type?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Re: cough after TAH

Just any small pillow you can press against your tummy helps. I'm surprised your insurance won't pay a portion of the cost for your asthma & allergy meds. Can you take something like zyrtec or claritin-d for the allergies? You can get those without an Rx and if they dry up that post nasal drip, that might minimize your cough. I have been taking zyrtec almost every night since surgery 6 wks ago. It helps to minimize
coughing and sneezing. Also helps make me drowsy.
Unread 08-18-2009, 02:55 PM

I would call your surgeon and explain the situation. He or she may be able to get the medication approved for payment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2009, 08:32 PM

I would check with your dr. on this also. There should be something they can recommend and/or help you with the insurance company. Just to give you some relief though, I had a cough that came up only a few hours after my surgery. I must've aspirated something into my lungs or I don't know. It wasn't like I'd have a coughing fit but it was like I did cough quite a few times. I remember thinking that it was surprising that it didn't hurt more than it did. I'd had an epidural but even when the epidural wore off, it wasn't a big problem. I also used the incentive spirometer (I think that's what it's called) to help clear my lungs and I was fine.
Unread 08-18-2009, 08:43 PM

My heart goes out to you. Coughing was the worst for me.
I kept cough drops with me at all times. Even brought them to the hospital. Keeping your throat moist will help some. I found having my Swelly Belly Band on helped a bit and also the pillow. Definately talk to your surgeon maybe they can get you something to suppress the cough.
Unread 08-18-2009, 08:58 PM

I have major sinus problems which no prescription I have tried - and I have tried many - seem to help. I take a combination of the maximum strength of Zyrtec AND Mucinex to keep the cough away. But, that gets VERY expensive - $60-80 per month. Talk with your doctor to see if they can help you with the insurance. I sure wish I could get a prescription that would help.

The pillow and cough drops are the best advice I have for the tummy after surgery. Also use the pillow if you feel a sneeze coming on - they are worse than the cough!!!! (Actually, the cough wasn't so bad on the tummy for me.) Best of luck to you.

Be sure to tell your doctor what meds you are taking so they can have them ready at the hospital for you. You also want to make sure they don't interact in a negative way with any meds you will be getting during and after surgery.
Unread 08-19-2009, 12:51 AM

Maybe the hospital will provide those medications while you are a patient? As far as the tummy pillow. Chose one that is a good size for you - large enough to cover your abdomen to lower chest but small enough to maneuver. The density should be firm enough to provide support but a soft outer layer to absorb some of the 'shock' of coughing. Try bed and throw pillows in the house or even stuffed animals. Good luck
Unread 08-19-2009, 08:33 AM

Have you tried Advil Cold and Sinus? That works really well for me. As for that first post op TAH cough - well, it was enough to convince me to stop smoking! Haven't smoked in almost 5 months Well I do admit to the occassional "sneak puff" in the first couple of weeks.
Unread 08-19-2009, 10:55 AM

I'm so sorry that you have to worry about this too! I would think that your surgery doctor could get your medicine covered for you so you can have a more comfortable recovery. As for the pillow, my DD had stomach surgery and she used a hard stuffed teddy bear. It was very firm and she would press her fist into the teddy bear directly over her incision when coughing, sneezing and getting up or down. I think I conversed with you on the group chat last week, have been wondering how you are doing! Best wishes to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register