Doctor concerned urodynamic study will cause pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Doctor concerned urodynamic study will cause pain Doctor concerned urodynamic study will cause pain

Unread 08-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Doctor concerned urodynamic study will cause pain

I'm hoping someone with experience will respond
Tomorrow I'm going for urodynamic study and the urogyn is concerned it will trigger a major pain episode. He had me call my
pain management doctor today to let him know. He wanted to do the testing 2 days before my upcoming diagnostic procedure but scheduling would not allow for it. I guess he felt he could help me if things were bad in the OR. I'm not quite sure anymore. Half the office was involved with booking the appointment.
They gave me some info and I did some reading here. It doesn't seem like anything I should be to worried about. I'm not sure if I should just let it go and see what happens or take his que and be worried. I do not have much experience with doctors telling me something is going to hurt. You know usually it is more like - discomfort, sting etc.
The message from the pain management office was the PM doctor would just up my Dilaudid dose if really necessary. I would call after the procedure if I have increased pain. Is that a good enough plan?
I did have cystoscopy after my LAVH and that wasn't bad.
I would appreciate any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Re: Doctor concerned urodynamic study will cause pain

Hi Hope
Since no one has responded to your post . . .
After reading this post and your other current one, I can tell you've got some complex issues, so I'm not sure how relevant my experience is, but I can at least tell you that I've had urodynamics and while it is not much fun, it didn't actually hurt. I hope it goes smoothly and that the Dr gets all the information needed from the testing.
J
Unread 08-19-2009, 07:16 PM

Hi Judna, thanks for letting me know about the testing. I did go and the NP went out of her way to make it as pleasant as possible. She wouldn't tell me any thing related to results except initially my bladder was almost fully empty, held a normal amount. I told her at the appropriate times, urge, full etc. She wouldn't say if I leaked with coughing. She all said that when I was trying to urinate she saw bladder contraction without results. I finally peed a little bit but the catheter fell out. She said she didn't see a contraction and asked if I had been pushing. She also told me when 10 minutes had passed without success. She told me to stand and move to see if it would help. Finally she took off the lines and sent me to the bathroom. When I did go I passed enough urine to account for almost all she put in. What all this means... I have no idea. Do you?
The test was uncomfortable but did not trigger a pain episode as the doctor feared.
Reading your comment about my 'complex issues' - funny I haven't thought of it that way. I've spent so long trying to get anyone to understand something was wrong. Now just waiting to have surgery. I guess your description is accurate but I just don't see myself like that.
How did I get here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2009, 07:40 PM

I'm so glad the NP made an effort for you and that the Dr's fears weren't realised Hope - It's probably better than the Dr who doesn't think much about the consequences you might have to deal with as a result of the test ordered.

I haven't got all of your back story, but are you and your Dr thinking you have got a bladder sling which you either didn't consent to or didn't realise you consented to? Is the new Dr thinking the sling needs adjusting - sometimes they are a little too tight and you can't urinate.

My bladder repair uses Trans Vaginal Tape (TVT). My bladder now works differently, and it is still resolving 9 1/2 wks post op. The way you described the folw of urine on a bad day - weak, intermittent, not straight, not emptying fully - is the way my bladder was till week 5-6 post op and it gets like that when I have a very busy day and am not taking time to empty fully, drink lots of water, etc.
My surgeon warned me that" the plumbing and wiring were different." I wish he'd given me the operational manual or told me I would need to work it out! But this would be an extra challenge for you, without knowing it was even there!!
J
Unread 08-20-2009, 12:02 PM

I am not complaining my doctor was overly cautious. He is the first to show the slightest concern over how I may react to evaluations and tests. I started with him a few months ago and so happy I have. He has not yet been able to resolve the pain but he is trying.
He suggested the testing before I brought up the marks. He said I'm going in for the exam under anesthesia on the 31st and if something is up with the bladder it would be a good day to take a look. He'll be in the neighborhood. As far as wether or not I have a sling, the records are being ordered. Nothing is mentioned in the surgical report. Just the two round scars on either side just at the level of my pubic bone.
I guess at this point I need to find out what the scars are from. That information may be key in trying to resolve the severe constant pain. I just need to get my life back. No one will promise complete relief but I can not continue on narcotics and bedrest with ice packs forever.
The doctor who performed the surgery suggested I see a urologist 2 weeks post op for IC he also discharged me from care at 3.5 weeks to follow up with the urogyn I saw dispite my telling him testing ruled out any IC or other bladder problems. The urogyn at the time followed me for a few months knowing I was DC to his care. When I failed to improve then worsen after an exam it was decided i should see someone else for spasms. That is basically how I ended up with my new urogyn, PT, gyn, colo rectal, PM doctors. Progress has been hampered by so many things but hopefully after the testing on the 31st a corrective surgery can be planned for a least the fistula.
The one thing I am grateful for is the compassionate doctor I have now. He doesn't have all the answers and is honest about that. His ability to express his frustration is so much better than to just let me be from month to month then just lose interest. That has happened a few times already from different doctors and that is so hard to learn to recognize the signs, accept and move on from. After the third time last year I stopped seeing doctors for 4+ months, delaying care because they had made me feel it was all in my head. Anyway the problem seems to be a little further south
Unread 08-21-2009, 03:46 AM

I hope it works out for you Hope.
Will keep reading your posts.
J

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register