I'm confused: Natural progesterone / natural HRT v oestrogen patches | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm confused: Natural progesterone / natural HRT v oestrogen patches I'm confused: Natural progesterone / natural HRT v oestrogen patches

Unread 08-20-2009, 11:26 PM
I'm confused: Natural progesterone / natural HRT v oestrogen patches

I had a complete hysterectomy on June 17.

After a brief stint on Premarin tablets, I've been put on Climara 100 (7.8mg) transdermal patches.

However, I've been looking into natural HRT, and have gotten confused. The Wellsprings natural hormones website, seems to suggest we don't need oestrogen (natural or chemical) at all. They seem to suggest that all we need is bio-identical progestrone cream.

Am I reading it right?

Don't I need a mixture of oestrogen and progesterone?

Can someone help and explain to me please?

Thanks loads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2009, 02:27 AM
Re: I'm confused: Natural progesterone / natural HRT v oestrogen patches

I am so happy you are doing research, but dont go by only one site. I dont agree with that myself. I started out with BIO ID progestrone cream daily and slowly cut back to 2 weeks out of the month half a gram mid day. I do use Estrodial one half gram a day split between am and pm. Down from a full gram a day split. Everyone is different, it took me over six months to get all my doses lower, it takes tweaking time. GOOD LUCK
Unread 08-21-2009, 04:46 AM

Thanks for your response.

Is Estrodial the bio-identical oestrogen?

Some people also seem to take testosterone too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2009, 05:19 AM

I use the all natural progesterone cream...one pump once aday and rub it into a place on your body that is thin skinned like inner thigh, wrist,inner arm,etc...and that seems to be doing the trick for me...i get it at my local health store...i tryed the estrogen and that is no good for me made me sick but i also suffer from endo...and as far as testosterone i've never dealt with that one yet....but remember to check with your doctor before doing anything as some things are not compatable.
Unread 08-21-2009, 09:05 AM

Hi lemonadenz!

The Climara patch is bio-identical--it's estradiol, one of the three estrogens the ovaries make. (The other two are estrone and estriol.) It's as natural to your body as the estradiol your ovaries produced.

Be careful when making your hormone decisions that you are reading information that applies specifically to women in surgical rather than natural menopause. Those of us with no ovaries (surgical menopause) are in a different situation than those with ovaries going through menopause because their ovaries continue to produce hormones, though at lesser amounts than before.

Many women do fine on estrogen alone. For now you should be working to balance your estrogen. Keep a journal of your symptoms. You can share the journal with the doctor who is prescribing your hormones. When you have eliminated symptoms related to estrogen levels, you can consider adding progesterone and testosterone, one hormone at a time, based on remaining symptoms. In the case of testosterone, it's best if your free and total testosterone levels are tested first to be sure you are deficient in that hormone. Here's a good list to refer to when working to find balance: Too Much/Too Little.

There's more hormone information in this link: Hormone Jungle Articles.

I hope this helps!

Unread 08-21-2009, 04:55 PM

Currently I feel tired and flat. Struggle to feel any emotion. No sexual desire whatsoever. Not sure if its too soon post-op. (but I was like that pre-op too - really bad PMS, so the "flat emotionlessness" wasn't present then, just the opposite).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register