hpv problems due to lack of estrogen??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hpv problems due to lack of estrogen??? hpv problems due to lack of estrogen???

Unread 09-10-2001, 05:25 PM
hpv problems due to lack of estrogen???

Hi Ladies,
I haven't posted in a while because I"ve been doing well. I have one ovary, am 34 yrs old and had my hyst last september. At that time I also had a squamous cell hyperplasia spot caused by hpv about the size of a quarter lasered off my vulva. No HRT other than phytoestrogen otc cream and lots of supplements. A few weeks ago I started with that all too familiar itching/burning vaginally and on my vulva. I thought it was yeast but it didn't go away. Went to my primary physician who didn't even look at me and said that it was vulvadynia and sent me home with antihystamines. Today I finally got tired of it and called my gyn. He took a biopsy of the same spot I had lasered and said that it's back. I"m doing everything that I'm supposed to be doing and aside from this feel very healthy. My question is...can I have this from lack of estrogen in my system? I've tried several estrogen creams vaginally and all have given me some sort of allergic reaction. My gyn just gave me some vagi-fem tablets to try and said that internally I look fine aside from some atrophy. I have to wait six weeks for a followup and am a nervous wreck. Any of you ladies been here before? If so...what has worked for you? Thanks so much for letting me whine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-11-2001, 06:13 AM

Do you feel secure with your gyn? If not, then think of going for a second opinion. Either way, a second opinion might not be bad. It would surely clear up your thinking to have another opinion. I have not experienced what you are going through, but I would have thought that your doctor would have done more explaining to you. Did you ask him about the lack of estrogen? Have you had your hormones checked to even give you an idea if you are lacking estrogen? Hopefully one of the other ladies will come along with a better idea of what might be going on. I will keep you in my thoughts, and please know that you are free to come to us anytime to clear your mind. We are all here for eachother!
Unread 09-11-2001, 04:11 PM

Tracy,
Let me know what happens. I never thought of lack of estrogen having an effect on dysplasia. I had a vulvectomy in Feb. VIN 3 and HPV. Then I had my last ovary removed and endo removed in July. I cannot have estrogen for at least another month. I had my 3month follow up colposcopy for the VIN yesterday and she did a biopsy after finding abnormal cells.
I know that lack of estrogen makes the tissue of the genitalia weak. It does make sense that HPV could attack weaker tissue easier. I am going to definitely ask my gyn about this when I get my biopsy results!

Debbie :dragon:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2001, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the replies ladies...it makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only one confused.

Cyd,
I dont' really feel confident in my gyn but he's a partner of the only gyn/ob group in my area so I'm basically stuck. He's ok just not great and tends to not want to talk about stuff that much. I had my hormone levels checked about five months ago and came back fine on everything but slightly low/normal on estrogen. I have some menopausal symptoms that the phytoestrogen cream takes care of. My major problems have ALWAYS been vaginal/vulvar...from hpv to the hyperplasia to constant infections. I guess that I was just hoping/praying that after my hyst things would calm down...no such luck I guess!

Debbie,
I'm wondering if a vulvectomy is in my future too...how difficult was that procedure and recovery? My problems tend to be on the right side only but at this point if I'm going to have to deal with it on a yearly basis then I'm considering getting it gone NOW! I can't really check with any other gyn's since mine is part of the only group in my area but I DID have my Mom's gyn call me today...actually she's a urogynecologist that just did my mom's bladder surgery. She told me that lack of estrogen WILL make the vulvar/vaginal tissues weak which makes them tear easier and will make them more susceptible to all sorts of infections. My guess is that hpv is included in that. She said that she didnt' know of any specific case that was helping by vaginal estrogen but that it wouldn't hurt to try the vagifem since it's a very low dose. Did your gyn give you any ideas of what you can take to help prevent further hpv problems? I've read that they're closer to a vaccine (in popular science a few months back) but haven't heard anything about it being available...in this case I'm MORE than willing to be a guinea pig! I don't get my biopsy results for six weeks...let me know how your's goes. I'll be praying for you.
Unread 09-12-2001, 05:29 PM

Tracy,

From what I understand, vulvectomy is a fairly rare procedure. Of my 6 gyn surgeries, that was probably the worst to recover from. I think a lot of it was emotional. I was sent to an oncologist and had the possibility of chemotherapy.

I compare an emotional aspect of this surgery to mastectomy. Even though breasts are more visible, it is still cutting away of a woman's body. My genital area will never look "normal". My hubby is wonderful and does not care. This is my own feeling. And sexual function is fine (I was lucky to keep the clitoris)... it just took a VERY long time... easily 3 months before I was ready.

Let me know what happens. I have become ok about the possibility of having to have this procedure again. I just want it out.

Debbie :dragon:
Unread 09-13-2001, 03:54 AM

I also have high risk HPV. I must have had it almost 16 years, without any symptons whatsoever until this year. I had a TVh for cin3. My research on HPV is telling me to strengthen my immune system to fight this virus. So I take a major multi vitamin, am trying to eat what the ACS recommends and am staying away from iron. The ladies here have told me that stress will weaken the immune system, and I agree from 1st hand experience.

I have not read about lack of estrogen, but thank you for bringing it up here. Did you have any cervical dysplasia, or only vulva and vaginal?

I hope you're doing well.
Unread 09-13-2001, 05:48 AM

Yep...I had cervical dysplasia too which is why I had my cervix removed with my hyst last year. That's what's so frustrating to me...I'm taking all the "right" vitamins etc and still having problems. I'm wondering if mine is due to only stress this time as I've got some major stuff going on here (hubby looking for a new job, son starting school and my mother off her prozac). It's just highly annoying!

Debbie I'm with you...at this point I just want it GONE and if that means removing that entire area (it's far enough down that I'll probably be able to keep my clitoris too) then I say do it. My hubby is pretty good about stuff like that...he gets stressed/annoyed when I don't feel well and says to just do whatever I need to do to get better.

Right now I just did day 3 of the vagifem. I can already tell a difference in moisture...I'm not so dry there but don't know yet if it will make any difference to the hpv.

thanks so much for the support...sometimes I think that I just need to hear that I'm not alone.
Unread 09-13-2001, 05:58 AM

Tracy, somehow I missed this thread. Sorry please remember that you are never alone. We are here always for you.

Currently I am using vagifem pessaries and they are definately helping with vaginal dryness. HPV is such an unknown factor, you never know what it is going to do. My oncologist said it has been known to just disappear one can only hope. I know that stress plays a big part in it. Hope you find a solution soon , love always x x
Unread 09-13-2001, 05:57 PM
dysplasia and risk factors

One of the posts in this thread said that in order to fight HPV she is eating the right things, taking a multi-vitamin and staying away from iron.

I have CIN III, which is now in my endocervical glands, with a hyst recommended by my gyn, but I've never heard anything about staying away from iron.

How does this contribute to HPV progression? I have been severely anemic for almost two years now and am on iron supplements. Could this be contributing to the progression of my CIN III?
Unread 09-14-2001, 04:24 AM

Hi,
That is me that is staying away from iron. I have 4 children to raise, and I am doing everything I can to fight this High risk HPV I have. I had recently read that iron will help a virus thrive. So I called my dr. and she said excessive iron will. Therefore together we decided that my iron levels were on the low side of normal, but OK. So together we decided on a vitamin with no iron. I am not a medical professional, so ask your dr. about it!! This is my experience and my situation. I brought it to these boards as I had never heard it before. I hope everyone who discovers something new will let us all know...that way we can question our drs. if it will work for us!!

Again, my opinion only!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register