hpv problems due to lack of estrogen??? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hpv problems due to lack of estrogen??? hpv problems due to lack of estrogen???

Unread 09-14-2001, 06:01 AM
Diet and HPV

Transplant,
Thanks for replying about the iron. This is something I will bring up at my next appointment on Monday (esp. since I am taking a prenatal vitamin and TWO iron supplements a day!).

Do you have any links to sites on strengthening the immune system or other recommendations for fighting high risk HPV strains? I do not know if mine is one of the aggressive strains, but I am assuming it must be since my pap went from normal to CIN III high in the cervical canal and into the cervical glands in just one year. But not necessarily, because I was pregnant during this time and have read that pregnancy compromises the immune system and allows this virus to become aggressive.

It seems like you have done your research. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated! I have a beautiful 9 month old son that I would like to be around for.
Danielle Douglas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2001, 06:22 AM
hpv problems due to lack of estrogen???

Sorry I wasn't around to help look into an answer for you. It's a very confused picture, partly because so many studies of cervical cancer were done before they knew about HPV so some of the risk factors and connections are called into question.

In terms of estrogen, this is what I found.

There are two things I found that imply that low estrogen might be better. There is a possible greater risk for women on birth control pills. However, they don't know whether that's because women who are not on the pill are using barrier methods and so have more protection from the virus. There are also some small studies being done on what triggers cells infected with the virus to turn cancerous since most don't--and one of the triggers being investigated is estrogen.

However there is one strong piece of evidence that support the idea that estrogen can be too low. One is that post-menopausal women who never had children and are taking HRT have a reduced risk of cervical cancer.

In terms of what you can do, I did find that cervical cancer may be related to vitamin A or vitamin C deficiency. Since you're probably taking vitamin C from the sound of it, that leads to a thought about vitamin A. If what you're taking is beta-carotene, it might not be converting (you need a particular enzyme). So you might want to go to your health food store and get oil-based actual vitamin A if you aren't already.

Unless you are actually anemic, iron isn't a good thing to take. In fact, one theory about why women have a lower risk of heart attack before menopause is that they lose iron every month. Immunity is increased by anti-oxidants and iron is an oxidant (rust, you know), so it's a not so great thing across the board.

So, I'd try the vagifem for sure, dealande. It can only help.
Unread 09-14-2001, 06:23 AM

I'm sorry that I have not responded again since now, but I have been reading. I sure hope that things turn for the better for you!
My multivitamin has iron, but as stated earlier we need to watch the excessive iron intake. I think that eating right and keeping our immune system strong is so important for us all!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2001, 08:25 AM
HPV

I have a question that I hope someone can answer. I had a TAH/BSO partially due to CIN/III, my oncologist never said anything about HPV. Does everyone who has CIN/III have HPV?
Unread 09-14-2001, 08:48 AM
CIN III and HPV

Mel,
My gyn told me that 100 percent of women with cervical dysplasia (CIN I, II, or III) have HPV, but in my research of medical journals on the web, many of them say that dysplasia is related to HPV 85-90 percent of the time.

Like everything else, I find so much conflicting information that I don't know what to believe anymore. I have CIN III and my path report actually says, "HPV change." So it seems like they can tell definitively if you do have HPV and then determine which strain.
Danielle
Unread 09-15-2001, 05:32 PM

I'm sorry that I haven't been back online...my computer has been totally dysfunctional for the past few days!

I used the vagifem for three days and woke up to a horrible discharge/itch/burning on the morning of day four...so...I'm assuming that it's an allergic reaction to the soy. I think that I'm going to try just using it once per week and see if I can tolerate that because I *did* feel better for the first two days.

I do take beta carotene and a lot of vitamin C but no straight vitamin A...I think that I might go ahead and try that...thanks! I also take L-lysine...someone on another thread had mentioned that helps to boost the immune system and helped her with herpes outbreaks and I figured that it couldn't hurt to try that.

It's all so confusing...if I have too low estrogen vaginally/vulvar then the tissue tears easier and is weaker and more susceptible to infection etc. If it's too high then I risk additional hpv problems...it's like a no win situation! ARGH!!!

I don't take any iron...haven't since I was anemic pre-hyst...but I sure do take a lot of other stuff.

Has anyone heard about the hpv vaccine? I've read that it's in the works but not available yet. If anyone hears anything about trials PLEASE let me know!

Also...just a thought...can I have one strain of hpv under control and then "catch" another one? I'm just wondering if my immune system finally got the one kicked and now for some reason I've caught another one...any ideas?

Thanks so much for the ideas and input...I really think that when it comes to this virus from hell that the ladies here know a LOT more than my gyn!
Unread 09-16-2001, 08:31 AM

Hi, This wasn't one of my many troubles but was just reading this month's Redbook and has a short article about pop a pill for a normal pap say's needed to boost immune system may help shield body from infection with HPV. so recommendes lots of antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables as well as daily dose of coenzymeQ10 (30mg) and vit E(400IU). Went on to say women with pre-cancerous conditions or cancer had lower levels of both nutrients than disease free women.
Unread 09-16-2001, 04:05 PM

I just wanted to say that when I asked my dr. about what I could take to boost my immune system, she was clueless. She said it wasn't her area of expertise, that I should consult a naturopath and before I took anything to check with her. She suggested Vitamin C. I came to this board and everyone told me what they were using. Then I researched it, and found only 2 addtl facts and that is about the iron...and also, mercury in our fillings weaken your immune system!! I am also excersizing..which strengthens your immune system and eating fresh vegs and fruit!!

Now for something new....I was reading yesterday, about the overuse of broad-spectrum antibiotics weakens your system because it kills both bad and good bacteria!! Which it says you need the good bacteria to fight off some things. So it suggested, if you truly need an antibiotic, ask for the most narrow spectrum that will cure you!! I have not checked this out with my Dr. ..won't see her for awhile. Has anyone else read about this???

This is my opinion only...not medical advice...always check with your Dr!!
Unread 09-17-2001, 05:30 AM

When I asked my doctor about vitamins he told me to take a multi vitamin, some vitamin C and an iron pill to give me some energy!!! He said that is what most people do.....he is retired now, so I hope that the dr who is taking his place is more in tune with things!
Unread 09-17-2001, 05:59 AM

It still amazes me that hpv is SO widespread and yet our doctors seem to be clueless about what really works. Mine is all for putting acid on the spots and using the creams etc but knows nothing about what will help to prevent them...he just says "some women get like this" which I HATE!

Thanks for the info on Q10...I'm going to check that one out. I also didn't know about the iron but thankfully I wasn't taking any. I think that comment about the narrow spectrum antibiotics was a good one too...makes perfect sense to me because I know that after I've had to use any I'm a total wreck. Yeast infections, rashes...the works.

Ok...dumb question here...are all the metal fillings in my mouth mercury? My dentist has been wanting to change them for the new tooth colored ones but since I hate the dentist I've been avoiding it...if they're mercury he might just get his wish!

As for what I"m taking...ok...I'm a walking pill box here so don't be shocked! I'm not going to list the doses...if anyone really wants them just let me know...I take a multiple, beta carotene, B complex, folic acid, B6, C, E, ginko biloba, evening primrose oil, magnesium, potassium, calcium, zinc, oregano or yeast cleanse (depending on the week), hawthorn, uva ursi, shizandra, garlic oil, acidophilus, L-lysine and echinacea if I feel like I'm getting a cold.

I haven't tried the vagifem since a few days back. I think that I might give it a try tonight and see what happens. I don't go back to my gyn for five more weeks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register