Not Scheduled SCARED about upcoming hyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

SCARED about upcoming hyst SCARED about upcoming hyst

Unread 08-25-2009, 10:40 AM
SCARED about upcoming hyst

I am going in on thursday to set the date for my hyst and i am starting to freak out. i hate being away from my family for any length of time and i have no idea at this point how long i will have to stay in the hospital, granted my husbad is going to be with our kids( ages 7, 4, and 2) but im still scarred. I dont know what to expect after the surgery, how much pain do i expect, how soon will i be able to get around on my own, how long is recovery in general? PLEASE any tips on how to handle this would be GREAT!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2009, 12:56 PM
Re: SCARRED about upcoming hyst

Hi J. I would make a list of these questions and any others to ask the doctor when you go in to make your hysterectomy appointment. When I went in for my pre-op appt. I wished I had made a list because suddenly my mind was blank!! Your doctor should be able to answer these questions based on what type of surgery he/she will be doing. I had a vaginal hyst. and was told my recovery would take 4-6 weeks and that I would probably be able to start doing some work from home in week number three, which I'm now in. I am doing some work, but it's a lot more limited than I thought it would be. Am very tired so I do less than I had hoped.

As for pain, everyone is probably different. I had very limited pain, but my doctor prepared me for the worst and prescribed pain meds if needed. You'll get a good sense of what kind of meds you'll need in the hospital, and you can discuss this with your doctor before you're discharged. I found while in the hospital that percoset didn't work for me at all, so my dr. prescribed something stronger before discharging me.

Try not to freak out. I know it's easy to say, but I was terrified before my surgery thinking of all the "what ifs" and three weeks later, even though I'm still recovering, it's the best thing I ever did. Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 08-25-2009, 01:13 PM

Hi what kind of hyst are you getting? I had a TAH& BSO 3 weeks ago today. I was in hospital 3 nights. The pain is not too awful, not as bad as the cramps I used to get with my periods! For me it was a kind of burning or stinging, like a scrape. The morphine really helps but is very sedating too. After the second day I only needed Naproxen & Tylenol, but the stinging did persist several days so I had to move slowly.

Constpation was my biggest concern. I would have gone home one day sooner but was slow to pass gas. The best thing is to walk, drink lots of fluids and I also ate lots of fruit and high fibre foods.

I was able to shower on my own and walk the whole length of the hospital hallway on postop day 2. So you can get around on your own pretty soon but you will be in slow motion. In hospital be sure you have the head of your bed up as far as it can go before sitting up, that way you don't pull your belly muscles. Electric beds are great!

I am still moving a bit slowly for some things but mostly walking normally. The hardest thing is to remember not to bend over. Have a chair near the fridge so you can sit down to reach for your food & drinks. I picked something up off the floor one day and had a sharp pain for a few days after so be very careful about bending. Sit down to reach for anything that is below chest level.

I gather that a 2 or 3 day hospital stay is fairly standard. It is much nicer to recover at home. Hospitals are noisy - once I was off the morphine I had a hard time sleeping at night so I recommend earplugs!

Honestly the pain is manageable. It's not nothing but it also isn't unbearable. I used to pray to die when I hady periods cause it hurt so bad - this time I just pressed my morphine button and drifted off. I have had migraines that were worse too. So I don't want to say it isn't painful cause it does hurt, but I don't want you to be scared either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2009, 01:32 PM

Hi!
Alot will depend on what type of surgery you are having since TVH's are different than a TAH/BSO etc.
I had a TVH and I went in last Monday and was home on Tuesday. The pain of surgery is controlled with pain meds- which helps alot.

TAH's will have external incisions to deal with as well as internal stitches, so recovery is different, and in general, it's different for everyone. : ) How helpful was that?

I'm a week out and I feel really good- get tired easily, but don't need any Advil til before bedtime, for whatever reason, bedtime is a little bit harder for me. No big, though.

We'll hold your hand through this! Once you have a date set, you'll have ...a date set! Then you can start preparing for help with the kids, and help with everything for a bit. You'll do wonderfully. You will hear over and over again how much better it is on the other side, and that many of us have a very emotional journey right up til we're at the castle. Then we wake up and cheer. : )
Welcome!
Unread 08-25-2009, 01:34 PM

I know you've read this statement a lot on this website but I have to repeat that "the hardest part about the Hysterectomy was the waiting". My TAH/BSO was a week ago today. Don't get me wrong I was pretty unconfortable the first few days but the hospital/doctor will help with the pain. I am now just taking Ibuprofen for pain if needed and Tylenol PM to help me sleep. Every day is much better then the previous and with what I've been reading this seems to be the norm.

Do you know yet what type of Hyst you'll be having? Whether it will be abdominal, vaginal, laproscopic, etc? That helps to get an idea of about how long you might have to be in the hospital. I had the abdominal and I only had to stay for 2 nights.

Good luck to you honey, and please don't freak out. I was a little freaked to but once I found this website and I also found an e-book that I could download called the "Worried Women's Guide to a Happy Hysterectomy". Between this website and the book I felt very knoweldgeable and prepared. These are both awesome resources for you I know darn well that I would not have been near as calm pre/day of/or post surgery. I knew exactly what to do and expect - there were absolutely no surprises. The book helped me stay organized with the pre-op calls/paperwork that were necessary too.

Webchick is 100% correct about making a list before you go. Check out this site for questions that you might not think of yourself and the book I mentioned also gives a list of questions for the doctor.

Take care.
Unread 08-25-2009, 03:49 PM

You can check the hints from members here. Mine is "thinks that I learned & helpful hints". Just do a search. There are many good tips there. Best wishes.
Unread 08-25-2009, 03:57 PM

Try not to worry just use this site to get all your ? asked and answered. The woman her are life savers, I truly dont know what I would have done without them
Unread 08-26-2009, 10:19 AM

Thank you all for your answers it REALLY makes me feel better to know that it really isn't bad after it eases the mind a little!! I don't know what I would do with out this site!!! I am only 26 and have NO ONE else to ask my family isn't very helpful. I am definitely going to write down all my questions (and my hubbies) so I don't forget!!

THANK YOU AGAIN TO ALL THAT WROTE!!
JANE

P.S. I am having a LVAH
Unread 08-26-2009, 11:06 AM

janethebug'
Good morning I had my pre-op yesterday,I too was very scared & nervous, I did ALOT of research. I found this site & it is amazing..... I love it here, you get soooo much support.you are so young to have this done BUT, keep your chin up, have a positive attitude & PRAY & talk about it.beleive me, it will help alot. I wrote out a list of about 20 questions to ask my Dr. & I am glad I did, yes I broke down in front of her,(no big deal). I was thinking what if I die..What if I am put under & don;t wake up.. Honey, put your mind at ease not going to happen,I asked my Dr. & she reassured me. she has been doing hysterectomies for 25 years.....
do as much research as you can. I am having a TAH, she told me the day after my surgery will be the worst, the following day I am expected to get up & walk,(that is good, cause I am hard to keep down).so, now I am not as scared.... I have my registration on Aug. 31st. & will talk to the anesteseologist. my surgery is on Sept. 2nd. I have to be at the hospital at 8:00a.m. the surgery will take 2 hrs.
I have a wonderful Dr.
Try to keep busy, pack your bag for the hospital, you will need alot of things, tooth paste,/toothbrush, panties, socks, a loose fitting shirt, pull up sweats, slippers, brush,aponytail holder,take some reading material,take a small cd player to listen to relaxing music, I am going to borrow one, I have some cd's with the sounds of rain falling, the ocean, & nature, they might help yopu to relax. also take a pillow for your ride home to put across your tummy..also you might want to go to Wal-Mart or a hard ware store & buy a reacher so you can grab things if your husband has to work.. get some T.V. dinners, or hot pockests, so you do not have to cook, just pop them in the microwave, something quick & easy..
what ever room you are going to be in after you get home, fix that room up to YOUIR liking, have a remote handy, a night stand close to the bed, books, music, what ever you want or need. I am going to have two places so I can relax (sometimes my boy friend snores really loud, & I can't sleep) so I go in the living room we have two. the one I am talking about is very cozy..I also have a big over stuffed chair that I love. the couch I hate , when you sit down you sink in, cause it is a very very soft couch. & I have a swivel rocker I sit in. just make yourself as comfortable as you can with the things you want close at hand..
I will be thinking of you as you go thru this journey. let us all know when it is going to be, we will be praying for you..
Take care & god bless..
P.S. Please order the book "What 100,000 women know about hysterectomies (it is 100% free) got mine the other day & it is wonderful, It even has a DVD with it about 30 min. long.. it is on the hyster sister's site, go to the pre-op & you will find all kinds of info. I printed alot of things out & started a note book, & high lighted alot of things,. good luck

Tina Marie
Unread 08-29-2009, 06:10 AM

Great list, Tina Marie! Don't forget earplugs - once you are off the morphine you will notice how loud the hospital is at night (and my roommate snored worse than my DH)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register