Packing for Hospital | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Packing for Hospital Packing for Hospital

Unread 08-28-2009, 02:45 AM
Packing for Hospital

I am trying to pack a couple items to take to the hospital to help me pass the time while I am there. I'm only bringing a couple of magazines and my ipod. A "friend" who had a hysterectomy last year tried to "encourage" me with her horror stories about the days after her procedure (I wish the ones that try to "help" us with their bad experiences would just keep it to themselves!). She said I'll be so out of it that I won't need to bring anything. I'm Type A and I can't be bored or I'll drive everyone else crazy so I'm bringing those items anyway. My question is I also thought about bringing my tiny notepad (laptop). Not that I'd want it to happen, but I'm not worried about it being stolen (it was cheap with no personal info on it), but I don't want to bring it if I'm going to be too drugged up and unconfortable to use it. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2009, 03:30 AM
Re: Packing for Hospital

How drugged you will feel and how capable of doing things will probably depend on a couple of things: What anaestetic (spelling??) you go for - general or epidural; and how much pain you will be in. I was in the hospital for 5 days and had an epidural and definetly found the time and inclination to read some magazine articles. Not on the first day but by day 2-3 I would read a bit. The books I brought stayed closed - didn't feel up to concentrating that hard. I did consider listening to a book tape but we had a TV in the room so I stared at that a bit in between visitors and my short therapeutic walks. So definitely take something. I don't know about a laptop. I definitely didn't want to go anywhere near one of those - too much like my work. Trying to think about how I'd handle it on the hospital bed. I had an abdominal incision so sitting upright and leaning forward to work on a computer probably wouldn't have been too feasible for me. But I know that some woman have posted practically immediately after their surgery - so maybe they had one with them or wrote as soon as they got home. Magazines and ipod sounds about right to me. The laptop might be overkill... If it weren't for your concern about having it stolen I'd say take it along. Worst thing that happens is that you don't use it.

One other hint. I had a friend come in with me and suggested we organize my things in the little bedside table before surgery. I probably wouldn't have thought of it - too nervious. But it really helped having things at hand as you can't bend down to get things out of your bag and there is no way you can lift a bag immediately after surgery.

Good luck with it!!!
Unread 08-28-2009, 05:49 AM

I read magazines. I also accessed hystersisters through my cell phone. I wasn't up to doing anything too serious, but it felt good to be able to check in and see how everyone here was doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2009, 07:22 AM

You didn't state how long you'll be in the hospital, but if I were you, I'd leave the laptop at home and take as little as possible. I took a magazine with me and never read it (and I was in the hospital for nine days...). I was out of it and very, very tired, and the only thing I wanted to do was rest. When I felt up to it, I watched a bit of television, but it usually ended up with the television watching me, instead!

If you take anything, take the magazine and ipod; the rest? Don't even bother...
Unread 08-28-2009, 08:01 AM

Tiptoe2......Why were you in the hospital for 5 days? Does anyone know the average stay for a Laproscopic Hysterectomy? I am having my surgery 250 miles from where I live. I never gave up my GYN from my former hometown. I also never thought that I would ever have a problem and just went to her for my 6 month checkups. My doctor wants me to stay in the area for 10 days......the problem? I can only stay with my mom and she only has a very uncomfortable sofa bed. That is not going to work for me. Plus the environment is really stressful because my dad is a chronic complainer. I know that this sounds strange but I was hoping to stay as long as possible in the hospital and maybe one or two nights in a hotel and then go home. It would be better than staying at my moms condo. Normally I would want the shortest hospital stay possible but under these circumstances, I am hoping that my doctor can keep me in.
Unread 08-28-2009, 11:53 AM

Sunset - I know I saw a great article on here that talked about average stays. I had a TAH and I was released first thing in the morning two days later.
Unread 08-28-2009, 12:16 PM

I agree - leave the laptop at home, but encourage any visitors to bring theirs as the waiting for them (while we're in surgery, while we're napping) can become boring. That way, if you're feeling up to it, you can borrow the laptop. I took magazines and read a bit, watched tv. I wasn't very out of it and was only in for one night, but didn't have energy for much more than that.
Unread 08-28-2009, 01:27 PM

I agree to take as little as possible, but definately take something. I took magazines and a book and also had a TV but didn't read or watch TV. I was way too tired and just wanted to sleep. I was also only in one night. My husband took a laptop but couldn't get a signal anyway.....Good luck!
Unread 08-28-2009, 01:50 PM

I am having a LAVH and post. repair and I am just sheduled to be there for an overnight observation period.
Unread 08-28-2009, 03:36 PM

I advise against the laptop so it is not "lost". I took books, a puzzle magazine, and my husband brought me comic books. I only read a few pages as concentration level was way down. Take a couple magazines, pen and a little notebook in case you want to make lists or plans, and expect to sleep and remote surf. The pain meds detract from concentration and you really sleep a lot for the first 24 hrs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register