Facing a TOTAL HYST @ age 36! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Facing a TOTAL HYST @ age 36! Facing a TOTAL HYST @ age 36!

Unread 08-28-2009, 06:34 PM
Facing a TOTAL HYST @ age 36!

Hi there!

This week my OB/GYN told me that I need a total hysterectomy!

I have a growing cyst on one ovary, and the other ovary burns with pain daily, so the doc will take them both. Sans ovaries, my uterus is just sitting around, so doc will take it too. This surgery will be vaginal. I've delivered babies so I understand that kind of pain, but what should I expect from all this? How will I feel after surgery? How will my sex life be? How about my hormones & abdominal pain? I'm only 36! I'm not to worried about the surgery, but I am afraid of Instant Menopause - what do I need to know about estrogen therapy? I'm clueless here!!!

Thanks for any feedback ~
=0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2009, 06:47 PM
Re: Facing a TOTAL HYST @ age 36!

I am so sorry! I haven't had my surgery yet so I can't offer more than my support. Please make sure you explore all your options, there are more than you think. Good luck!
Unread 08-28-2009, 08:23 PM

Frankenblonde -

I am sorry that you have to undergo a hysterectomy but so glad you found us.

You will want to check out the Hysterectomy Checkpoints & the Pre-Op Resource page (look at the top of the page and you'll find links to them).

Also we will be having a Pre-Op Chat on Sept 10th that will go over a lot of these items.

There are many wonderful women here who can give you information on their experiences. Unfortunately we are all different so the best we can do is give you information since your exact experience will be your own.

You may want to do more research on what your uterus does as far as support of other organs, also will you be keeping your cervix? Some women experience immediate symptoms of menopause and others take a long time and a few never have symptoms. At your age you may want to check out the book "Sudden Menopause" which is written for younger women who have oopherectomy.

G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2009, 11:42 AM

Hi! I am new here too, facing a total hyst on sept 17th. I am 36 and have endometriosis. My dr says everything is stuck together. She wants to remove my ovaries, but i am scared of hrt. Not sure what to do! Maybe we can find answers to our questions here! Are you scheduled yet?
Unread 08-29-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenblonde View Post
Hi there!

This week my OB/GYN told me that I need a total hysterectomy!

I have a growing cyst on one ovary, and the other ovary burns with pain daily, so the doc will take them both. Sans ovaries, my uterus is just sitting around, so doc will take it too. This surgery will be vaginal. I've delivered babies so I understand that kind of pain, but what should I expect from all this? How will I feel after surgery? How will my sex life be? How about my hormones & abdominal pain? I'm only 36! I'm not to worried about the surgery, but I am afraid of Instant Menopause - what do I need to know about estrogen therapy? I'm clueless here!!!

Thanks for any feedback ~
=0)
The thought of needing a hysterectomy is obviously (and naturally) a shock to you.

I would highly urge you to get an additional medical opinion. I'm not trying to say that your current doctor is wrong, but I do have questions:

First, could the doctor just remove the cyst on the one ovary? Many women have cysts removed, and the ovary does not need to go, too.

Second, why is the other ovary painful? Are you sure it's a diseased ovary, or could it be something else?

The uterus is not devoid of use when the ovaries aren't there. If it's not diseased, why is it being removed?

Before having your ovaries and/or uterus removed, it is really important to research all of the other treatment options. Unless it's an emergency (and it sounds like your case isn't an emergency), you have time to study.

As (((taruslady))) said, going through surgical menopause can be much more difficult than natural menopause. It's especially important to understand as much about menopause as possible since you are going to go through it at such a young age.

No matter what you decide to do, we'll be here for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register