Pain in all the wrong places? 10 days post-op. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain in all the wrong places?  10 days post-op. Pain in all the wrong places? 10 days post-op.

Unread 09-05-2009, 08:45 AM
Pain in all the wrong places? 10 days post-op.

Hi, I'm new here and glad I found this group!

I had a vaginal hysterectomy with bladder and rectum repair on Aug 26. Had apparently bled A LOT during surgery and became extremely anemic. Had to have 3 bags of blood the day after surgery. Went home 3 days later, developed a high fever, back in the hospital on day 5 for another 3 days to combat the pelvic infection.

I'm 2 days back home again, no really high fevers yet, but I have a stabbing pain in the left groin area all the way up to the ovary and beyond. Sometimes it even goes high to reach under my left breast. It pretty much hurts all the time, just different degrees depending on when I last had my pain meds, so I can't really tell if it's related to peeing or bowel movements, which are still really painful.

I have been urinating pretty well until this morning when it only trickled. Could this be ureter-related? I'm trying to decide whether I should call my doctor or wait it out till Monday when the office if open. I'm still on antibiotics so I wouldn't think it's a new infection.

Thanks.
Jan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Re: Pain in all the wrong places? 10 days post-op.

Call your doctor. If you've got new pain that is that bad, and you're having difficulty urinating, you need to speak with a medical professional. Don't worry about calling them on a weekend - it's their job to care for you, and someone should be on call.
It sounds like you've had a really rough time and maybe you don't want to go back to the hospital - but that type of pain may indicate something that really could need hospital treatment.
While you're waiting for the doctor to call back, you might think about the things you'd want to take back to the hospital with you - comfort items, something to keep your mind busy like a book or even a laptop computer if you will have a safe place to put it; that way you'll be prepared whether or not the doc says you need to go back.
I really hope things start going better for you! You're in my prayers.
Unread 09-05-2009, 09:31 AM

I absolutely agree about calling your dr. this morning. I hope it's nothing but it's better to be safe than sorry. Good luck to you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2009, 10:06 AM

Could it be from the gas they used to blow you up? I know for me I have pain under my ribs but the nurse had prepared me for that. Also, the gas in the intestines where the worst part of the recovery for me. It is very painful. You can probably use gas-x to help that. If it is really bad or new pain, then yes, you need to contact the doctor. Best wishes to you!
Unread 09-05-2009, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the quick responses.

I called my surgeon, who just happened to be the one on-call this weekend, so he knows my case well. He thinks it's just muscle pain and strain, but we'll keep an eye on it. I did actually have some of this pain while I was still in the hospital, just not quite as sharp.

But he thinks that because of my complications, my recovery isn't going to be "normal." I'm still fighting a pelvic infection from the blood pooling at the top of my vagina.

I may be trying to do too much here at home, I need to increase my water intake, and I haven't been diligent about taking my pain meds at the right time. The pain is not as intense now, and I'm trying to remember that even though it was vaginal, and I wasn't inflated with gas, I still have a lot of internal stitches because of the repair done. I guess I wasn't expecting as much pain since I wouldn't have an abdominal incision.

Thanks everyone.
Jan

PS - bandimal, I notice you're in Ohio. What part? I live in Northern Kentucky, just across the river from Cincinnati.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register