Scheduled TAH Officially the DUMBEST post to date...sorry (kids mentioned) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Officially the DUMBEST post to date...sorry (kids mentioned) Officially the DUMBEST post to date...sorry (kids mentioned)

Unread 09-09-2009, 02:16 AM
Officially the DUMBEST post to date...sorry (kids mentioned)

[OK I have my TAH/BSO scheduled for 10-21-09 and honestly I can't wait. I am so excited to know that this time next year I will be back to "normal" or as "normal" as I can be. I have stumbled onto this site and I am hooked! But I have had to work up the nerve to post this and I am sitting here red-faced and amazed that I am about to completely embarrass myself.....so here it is before I lose my nerve.

I know from previous surgery about gas pains....and I know that will be a huge part in my upcoming surgery as well.....however even after 15 years of marriage (I'm 37 btw) I have NEVER EVER passed gas in front of my DH----and I mean NEVER. I haven't even done it in front of my kids or anyone else for that matter. My DH says that he will pat me on the back, high-5 me, do the dumb fist-bump thingy, even pay me the 100 bucks he has stashed in his wallet that he says is just for that! Not that I don't ever have the urge....trust me I do....it's just that I would be completely mortified if I ever did do it. So that is my problem....after surgery I am going to have this awful urge to pass gas, yet not be able to so I am going to explode!!! I remember how bad it was after my 1st surgery and NO amount of pain med's made me just not care...LOL This is seriously the thing that concerns me the most!!
Ok....so please someone out there in Hysterville tell me that I am NOT alone in this!

PS....you had fair warning about how dumb this was!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2009, 04:09 AM
Re: Officially the DUMBEST post to date...sorry (kids mentioned)

Wow, its an interesting post, not dumb . . . and it will be interesting to see if you can pass this off . . . because I was totally amazed at how gas could pain you so bad, and how gas could come at will. Good luck to you in this endeaver and I will be interested in the progress you make.
Unread 09-09-2009, 04:17 AM

I was thinking of starting the Gas-X stuff now in hopes that my body would just reject any kind of gas! LOL Don't think it would help tho!
Darn...oh well. Can't blame a girl for trying.

Have a great day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2009, 08:14 AM

Wow. You are a strong woman. I have been married also for 15 years and can sometime out do my husband and kids. Not something I am proud of but when you live with all boys, might as well fit in. Don't worry. It is something that everyone does and I am sure your family will not get upset if you do it once or twice. Just let it flow and relax. Or try and go to another room if you can make it. Or my favorite, blame it on the dog.
Unread 09-09-2009, 08:52 AM

tee hee!!! You're so cute! It makes me feel tempted to offer you some money to let one fly around them too. I'm of no help, there is no shame in my game. Yup, your best bet will be to go into another room then. But I think you'd feel much better if you just owned up to the humanness of it and relaxed and let your body do what it's going to do. GOOD LUCK!!! Keep us updated!

Nicki
Unread 09-09-2009, 11:36 AM

I'd say, "Yes, this is dumb" -- but I'd be lying. I am somewhat like you -- I just feel that passing gas is, well, private.

Yes, you'll have the urge. But that doesn't mean you have to "pass" the gas in front of everyone! The nurses will be able to hear the sounds of everything "waking up" with their stethoscopes. That's often enough. They won't require any performances.

If you want to earn the $100 (I would if I were you ) then reward your husband with a toot or two. But you can still pass the gas without making noise.... practice it before your surgery date, and you can still get relief without embarrassment.

For me, the gas urges didn't last that long. And some sisters don't really have much in the way of bad gas after surgery at all. Hoping you'll be one of them!
Unread 09-09-2009, 11:38 AM

I say take the $100. Giggle I had never passed gas in front of my hubby either but holding it in is not a good idea. It can really make the pain worse. Stock up on gas-x. I got to were I didn't care because I knew it had to come out. & the good news is that if this is your main worry you are going to do great.
Unread 09-09-2009, 02:26 PM

LOL Trust me..I want to take the money and run. It just seems like when I say "ok I am going to 'let er rip'", all that gas just gets performance anxiety and I can do NOTHING!! OH well....I guess I should not sweat the small stuff as they say. Just this has been on my mind and I knew that I could vent here and not be judged! I did however break down in front of DH and tell him my fears and he said "Don't worry, Honey. I will leave the room anytime you need me to but just know this.....I will be waiting on the other side of the door and as soon as I hear anything I am running back in!" LOL Gee...thanks. I feel sssoooooo much better now! He is such a goof!

haha
Unread 09-09-2009, 02:42 PM

If you are anything like me, you will not have any problem letting it rip. Let him have fun with it. I know we did.
Unread 09-09-2009, 08:14 PM

I am the SAME way! I have never passed gas in front of my hubby or kids..I've also been concerned about how I'm going to pull off not embarrassing myself in the hospital. My doctor says I can leave as soon as I pass gas, eat, pee and have a BM..My hubby intends on being with me the entire time so I'm either going to have to let it go (hehe) or hope that he's out of the room. lol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register