Anterior/posterior repairs: how painful are they? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anterior/posterior repairs: how painful are they? Anterior/posterior repairs: how painful are they?

Unread 09-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Anterior/posterior repairs: how painful are they?

I am having surgery on the 29th and I am obsessing about it way too much. I am having anterior & posterior repairs done as well. Has anyone else had these and how painful was it afterwards?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2009, 07:36 PM
Re: Anterior/posterior repairs: how painful are they?

A friend of mine had one a few years ago and she reports it was not that painful, compared to the C-section. And she's a big wimp

Are you having the repair AND a hysterectomy? My doc said he would only do an anterior repair if I had a vaginal hyst but I am having my hyst thru the abdomen. I sure hope the hyst alone alleviates the prolapse
Unread 09-13-2009, 08:00 PM

I am having a vaginal hyst (because of adenomyosis and prolapse) and that is when he will do the repairs. I have had problems with the prolapse for many years with spotting/bleeding (two to three weeks a month) for the last 14 years. It started after I had an etopic pregnancy. I even had spotting/bleeding when pregnant with my last baby 14 years ago. They just diagnosed the adenomyosis and that doesn't get better until menopause. (Took forever. I just figured I had to live with it) With the prolapse and adeno I figured it was time to fix things.
Still very nervous but cannot wait for it to be over. I hope I don't have much pain either.
Thanks for the positive info.
Can I ask why they are doing yours abdominally? Yours is before mine so good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
A friend of mine had one a few years ago and she reports it was not that painful, compared to the C-section. And she's a big wimp
What wasn't that painful, her hysterectomy? Really, it does no good to compare apples and oranges. A hysterectomy is not a C-section, and anterior and posterior repairs add a whole other layer of complexity to the surgery. Plus everyone's anatomy is slightly different, and we all perceive and deal with pain differently.

(((one of four))) I had a vaginal hyst with both anterior and posterior repairs, plus ovary removal, seven years ago. The repairs were the most uncomfortable part of it all, and it really wasn't unbearable. I did sit on a donut pillow for the first six weeks, and found it helpful to use a peri bottle with warm water (or a warm bidet) after using the bathroom, especially when the stitches started to itch as I healed. The hospital also sent me home with a can of Dermoplast - ask your DR if you can use it - it's a spray can of cooling, numbing mist that feels pretty good on the posterior repair incision. Fleet wipes (similar to Tucks but imho better) were also very helpful.

Good luck with your surgery!

s,
-Linda
Unread 09-14-2009, 02:42 AM

I've had a TVH with anterior and posterior repairs. The healing of the repairs is more complicated and I suspect more painful than the vaginal hysterectomy. If you read old posts, there are some from women who had their repairs months or years after the hysterectomy and they generally say the repairs hurt more.
That's not to say that the pain is severe - I had less pain than I anticipated, but the general soreness goes on and the pain with sitting as the perineum heals is not fun.

Good luck
J
Unread 09-14-2009, 08:48 AM

Thank you ALL for the HONEST & useful advice (glad to hear this is wasn't unbearable)

I had a bad experience with my episiotomy (sp?) after my first baby and kept feeling like my insides were falling out when I would stand up (start of the Prolapse ?) I never said anything to the doctor because I did not want to seem like a big wimp. Well I will take the advice from everyone on here & say something if I have pain or other problems. (One of the best things I have read is that I do not need to be a hero)

I am expecting the worst; hoping for the best and feeling better about my decision today than I have.
Two more weeks to go. Hope it goes by FAST.

Unread 09-14-2009, 10:46 AM

I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to infer that one persons experience would be the same as everyone elses. My friend had had a c-section and then later on she had an anterior repair. She reported to me that the repair was not as painful as the hyst. She said it seemed to take a long time to heal so she had a gyn check her out and the gyn said it was becuase the doc used a very heavy gauge thread (or whatever it's called) to close the incision.

I discussed the pros and cons of vaginal vs abdonimal surgery with my doctors and decided on abdominal because 2 out 3 docs recc'd that for me. Since I'm having TAH, I decided to have a mini tummy tuck as well. The ob gyn told me this morning that most of the pain will be caused by the TT, not the TAH....

ps LOVE this site. Spent hours already on here yesterday
Unread 09-14-2009, 12:10 PM

Good for you on the TT. That will be another thing to look forward to after surgery!! (I am a little jealous) Maybe I should ask about the thread they close with. My pre-op appt. will be on 9/22, so I will add it to my looong list of questions. I am on this site alot too. Aren't some of the stories after the surgery funny?!! I hope my sense of humor is as good as theirs.
Does Blue Island refer to Illinois??
Unread 09-14-2009, 04:01 PM

Your sense of humor should be the first thing on the pre op checklist. It is essential!!

I had a posterior repair with a VH in May 08. The posterior repair hurt more than the VH, especially after the first couple of days (and I stopped the prescription pain meds). It was not as bad as a C section, about the same as an episiotomy (I had one of each, different babies, thank goodness).

After the first week or two, the only time I noticed the posterior repair was when I was getting out of the car. Getting into the car went fine, but for some reason, pushing in my seat to get out of my car was kind of tender.

It was not a big deal.

You will probably have to wait an extra couple of weeks before getting the green light for intercourse. My advice is to take your time. The incision for the posterior repair goes right out to the opening of the vagina, you want to be sure it is really well healed before you start stressing it.

Good luck. Take it easy, don't be shy about asking your Dr. questions, that is what they are there for.
Unread 10-04-2009, 02:55 PM

Hi I live in the Uk and things are a little different here except of course for the female anatomy! I had a vaginal hysterectomy and a posterior repair on tues 29/09/09. I walked down to the OR with my husband and when the doors closed and I was left on my own with the porter I felt very small and very frightened. However a good dose of drugs did the trick and I woke 2 and a half hours later being pumped full of morphine. I struggled with the oxygen mask and the pain was bad. My poor husband was told I would be a couple of hours and started to panic when I had not returned after 3 and a half hours.My consultant has since told me that my uterus was very large and the time taken was for cutting it into four so it could be removed vaginally. My catheter and pack were removed the next day and I am happy to say both bladder and bowel are behaving.I have to say that I feel like I did when I tore with my first child ...Just more painful!I have just bought a valley cushion on line as I cant sit down. What is very positive is that I feel like a great weight has been lifted and that this is a new start and I can feel heathy and well again xxx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register