Over a Yr still bleed periodically; pulling on right side, need advice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Over a Yr still bleed periodically; pulling on right side, need advice Over a Yr still bleed periodically; pulling on right side, need advice

Unread 09-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Over a Yr still bleed periodically; pulling on right side, need advice

It's been over a year now (abdominal removal of uterus, most of the cervix and one ovary) and although I don't bleed every month, it does happen enough that it worries me. My doc says it's normal because my cervix was too long/big to remove during surgery and that a part of it was left in there along with the right ovary. After 2 C-Sections, I wonder if it really adhesions that made the cervix enlarge but either way, I don't like that it was left in and feel at greater risk for cervical cancer because of it.

Also, I have had since shortly after surgery a pulling in the lower part of my abdominal area and also have experienced what I'd say was a muscle spasm or something in there on a least a few occasions that have rendered me motionless until the contractions subsided. Does anyone know what that could be.

I have to go back for a pap smear (because of the remaining cervix) Monday and would like to have your feedback before going. I'll ask him about these things again too, but am thinking of asking him to remove the whole cervix and check for adhesions, etc. Does that make sense or am I being overly worried.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Re: Over a Yr still bleed periodically; pulling on right side, need advice

If it would give you peace of mind to have your cervix removed, i would do it. Ask your doctor about this option and also the about the discomfort you are having in your abdomen. You know your body best....Take care.

lala
Unread 09-14-2009, 07:24 AM
Re: Over a Yr still bleed periodically; pulling on right side, need advice

I would ask the doctor all your questions. I would also go to the appointment prepared with a written list of all symptoms including dates, how long it lasts, what brought it on, what makes it better.
You say you feel like you may be having a muscle spasm. That is very possible, both abdominal and pelvic floor muscles are affected during the hysterectomy. Maybe you should ask your doctor for a referral to a physical therapist that specializes in pelvic floor dysfunction. They would be able to assess you to see if any of your pain is from a musculoskeletal origin.
Do you have a personal or family history of gyn cancer or abnormal paps?
Why are you so concerned about cervical cancer?
From what you have described it does sound like you are having mini periods. Maybe the doctor can cauterize the remaining endometrial tissue on the cervix to stop the bleeding. You may also benefit from birth control pills to stop the ovarian symptoms.
I think it may be a bit premature for you to be considering removal of the cervix. What about the ovary? Consequences of both may be more troublesome than the symptoms you know have.
Good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register