Feeling too good? Feeling guilty | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Feeling too good? Feeling guilty Feeling too good? Feeling guilty

Unread 09-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Feeling too good? Feeling guilty

I had my LAVH Sept 1. Four hours surgery and they took the cervix. I kept my ovaries.

Only pain after wards was the catheter, which I begged the nurse to remove that night and promptly got up and peed. Then did BM a few days later. Only discomfort is my bladder, but I pee and BM regularly. Some light discharge and odor and slight cramping. No pain meds for 10 days.

Problem? I feel too good. Is it because I had LAVH and not abdominal? I feel like I am cheating not being at work and that I should do more around the house or walk more. Husband has been awesome, dog jumped on my stomach, but other than that, she is good company. Friends have brought meals and company almost every night and I am now officially addicted to Sex and the City videos that a friend brought over (I don't even have TV, but am loving the series).

I feel guilty....I feel too good and when my friends from work visit me next week, I feel like I have to fake it so I can stay out of work the prescribed time.

I recently joined you all, but I feel I am having a different experience than most of you and just wonder if others have had this happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Re: Feeling too good? Feeling guilty

LOL Shimmy I know what you mean! I'm very very thankful that my healing has gone well. No repairs despite them thinking I would have to, and a vaginal hysterectomy, I also kept the ovaries.

Other then odd gas pains when it's time to go #2, and if my bladder is full I know it's gonna hurt, I'm great! Still taking it easy, did some laundry today, but will NOT be lifting any baskets.

However, I'm also not going to rush to carry in the groceries, or even go shopping for that matter. I will be driving next week, but may wait until Wed to do that. Depends on how long DH can not get stressed out over the car lane at the kids school. LOL

Keep on healing, don't rush, and enjoy your mini vacation before you have to go back to work.
Unread 09-13-2009, 01:49 PM

That's so awesome!
Think of it this way...this is one situation where it's okay to "fake it" and take the time off...consider it a mini vaca of sorts. I'm sureyou're healing well and everything is going wonderfully inside of you too, but it just doesn't hurt to make sure that it is by not doing too much.
However, someone just posted on here that they are back to full duty, doing their fitness class that they teach etc. Even if I felt THAT good I'd be too nervous about screwing something up in there.
You're doing awesome! Now would be a great time to do those little things that we put off because they are little things, ya know? I've been writing love notes and thank you notes to the people who have been so sweet to me, and the nurse I really loved in the hospital. I've gone through my youngests' clothes to get rid of what is now too small, that kind of "little" stuff.
Congratulations on your surgery and recovery!! I hope you continue to feel amazing!

Nicki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2009, 02:09 PM

Great to hear your story Shimmy! Had my LAVH on Sept.3 and feel great also.

Apart from hot flashes (took Luperon Depot to reduce the size of my 18cm fibroid), I am pain free and ready to go back to being as active as I was before the surgery.

The hardest part for me is staying put and not overdoing it. Went to the cinema last night and had a great time even if I felt a bit uncomfortable sitting for 2 hours.

Sleep is not great though ... But I understand not needing as much sleep since I am not doing much !

My Md gave me 8 weeks off work - I just can't believe it!

I feel pretty lucky.

All the best to my Hyster Sisters!
Unread 09-13-2009, 02:11 PM

Feel GGREAT about that, NOT guilty!!! Just remember that you ARE still healing from surgery and you have internal stitching that needs pampering. You don't have to fake feeling awful, but you (and they) need to be mindful that there's A LOT of healing going on. Doing it without a lot of pain is just a huge bonus!

Keep feeling and HEALING well!!
Unread 09-13-2009, 02:31 PM

My DR likes to say that she prefers to do TAH's (even though she actually does relatively few of them these days) because those ladies KNOW they had major surgery and tend to take it easy for a little longer... those of us with vaginal hysts tend to be the ones who come back with problems from doing too much too soon. You've been cautioned.

Best wishes for a continued smooth recovery.

s,
-Linda
Unread 09-13-2009, 03:09 PM

I had a TAH Sept 4 and feel great, I keep forgetting that I had surgery.

My doctor had me up and walking the evening of the surgery, and aI haven't had any problems getting in or out of bed since I got home, and am off painkillers today. I'm self employed but booked off all my projects so I think I'm going to get back at it this week!

Good luck to others!

Unread 09-13-2009, 04:43 PM

Hi Shimmy
I am feeling amazingly well too, 4 weeks after my TAH/BSO. I do get tired but not needed painkillers for ages- I keep wondering if it will suddenly hit me and my body that I have had quite a major operation!
Kathryn
Unread 09-13-2009, 05:03 PM

Yea for feeling good! One thing I have read over and over is you only have one chance to heal right and it takes weeks for those internal stitches to heal. So keep on taking it easy but ENJOY your feeling good!
Unread 09-13-2009, 05:27 PM

I too feel guilty for feeling too good too soon. I have read too many Sisters' stories here that have said take it easy because of the internal stitches and if pulled how they would bleed and/or create scar tissues that may then cause organs to stick together - which would then lead to another surgery.

I am praying that I (and others) do not have another surgery. I drove family, friends and my doctor crazy the entire 2 weeks before my surgery because I cried everyday leading up to the day. Felt foolish post op since it was not that heavy.

I am not one who needs to experience something to heed the warning. I am taking my Sister's words or wisdom and giving myself as much time to heal internally. Besides, I am getting into enough trouble while putting my house back together post op. I dont lift anything over 10 lbs but keep active inside my house.

Confession. I am a little paranoid about going outdoors because I am afraid I am going to get poked in the stomach by mistake. Woe is me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register