General questions regarding post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

General questions regarding post-op General questions regarding post-op

Unread 09-18-2009, 11:03 AM
General questions regarding post-op

Hello Ladies. I am scheduled for my partial hyst on 9/24 and am pretty **** scared. I have read so much conflicting information on line, that I just want to hear from real women who have gone through it. My concerns are regarding incontinence and/or infections, bowel troubles, and how it affects one's sex life. Can anyone offer up any helpful experiences. I'm having this done due to very severe bleeding from numerous fibroids and adenomyosis over the last few years. The bleeding has become debilitating and I need my life back. Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Re: General questions regarding post-op

HI!!! Boy have you stumbled upon the right website!!! Welcome!!!!

It is not uncommon for a girl to have a UTI after being cathed. But it didn't happen to me. You won't be able to strain for awhile after the surgery, but you'll have stool softeners and you'll eat lots of fiber and/or drink something like Milk of Magnesia, and that will take care of that. I'm 4 weeks out from my TVH, and I have no bowel issues at all anymore.
I'm pretty sure that my sex life will not be affected. Lots of girls experience their libido increases right after surgery. Some girls then notice it take a dive as our hormones deplete (just til ovaries wake up), and some don't. It's a crap shoot, really. So far, so good here. I can't wait to get cleared for some fun.
Of course, the hard this is that every girl has a different experience, you know? It is major surgery, and there are alot of if's. However, it's been a good smooth recovery on my end!
WELCOME ABOARD!!!!!

Nicki
Unread 09-18-2009, 11:14 AM

Thanks, Nicki! I didn't know this site existed. I'm so happy to have found it. It's so nice to share all of this with other women who have been through it. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2009, 11:23 AM

Oh boy, aren't you spot on!
And I'm addicted like it's chocolate or something. It's really a beautiful thing. I have no idea what I would have done if I hadn't had sisters hold my hand all the way through it!
You're doing the right thing- research as much as you can. My biggest struggle is the lifting restrictions. It's hard not to overdo it when you're feeling good. Driving was hard too. I hadn't understood when I'd read about that part of it til I tried it. But by week 3 it felt better and now it's nothing.
Planning is the best thing you can do to get ready. Get some frozen meals (or cook ahead and freeze), maybe some things for smoothies (appetite may not be great for a bit afterwards) and other easy to eat things. Fiber bars. Put things that you'll want to reach somewhere easily accessible. See if someone will clean for you once a week or whatever because you'll be unable to. There are lots of little things to do to get ready that can help with the after!
GOOD LUCK! Happy researching! I didn't read too much on the POST OP board beforehand because it scared me a little bit. It won't scare you when you're recovering though. I'm sure more sisters will be along shortly to help reassure you that in most cases, everything goes very well! XOXOXO

Nicki
Unread 09-18-2009, 11:31 AM

Thank you so much! I'm in tears, here; so happy I've found all of you. I'm sure people have formed some lasting friendships here - how wonderful!
Unread 09-18-2009, 11:39 AM

Hi there!

Just wanted you to know I'm scheduled for September 24th also and we'll be doing it together! I have a lot of the same concerns as you but I am trying to look forward to a better life after the surgery. Just wanted you to know you are most definitely not alone!

Hugs to you!
Unread 09-18-2009, 11:42 AM

Thank you, Max! What state are you in? I'm in NY. I will be thinking of you. :-)
Unread 09-18-2009, 12:21 PM

Good luck Fairyglitz! Yes, this website is a godsend. I have my surgery the day before you! Everyone I've talked to were nervous before but couldn't be happier after having it done. I am looking foward to the AFTER!!!
Unread 09-18-2009, 12:32 PM

Hi again Fairyglitz! I live in NY also! But my surgery will be in NJ - found a great doctor there!

I think we are all looking forward to the AFTER - can't get here soon enough!
Unread 09-18-2009, 01:14 PM

Welcome! I'm glad you found us too. This site has been wonderful for me as I've been recovering and I wish I had found it beforehand.

It is natural to be worried, but just know that if you do have a problem, there's a solution. It may take a while as we are permanently altered in some ways after surgery, but you will figure things out. Recovery has been challenging in some ways and easier than I expected in some ways, but in all I'm so happy that it's over and that my pain and bleeding are gone.

I do want to comment on one of your fears. After my surgery I had no libido and it worried me. However, in the past week my hormones seem to have woken up again and I feel like I'm getting back to normal. It's such a relief for both me and DH! Just know that your hormones will be all over the place after surgery, so what you experience one minute may not be what you experience the next. I'm on ERT and it seems to be working better now and my mood is stabilizing. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

Good luck in the coming week and I can't wait for you to get your life back!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register