Ovarian Cancer: My Mother In Law | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My Mother In Law My Mother In Law

Unread 09-18-2009, 11:29 PM
My Mother In Law

Hi, My Mother In Law is 88 yrs old. She had colon cancer 4 yrs ago. Tthey took a section of her intestines out. Started on chemo. Her husband had cancer and didn't have much time left. So, she stopped the chemo after 3 treatments. Today the dr called me to say the ultrasound on her tummy shows "malignant neoplasm of ovary". Monday we go to get her blood work done. I haven't told her yet. I've cried most of the day....
I guess a person can have 'Cancerhead' even if they don't have it themselves.
I just don't know what to expect. Her tummy is SO bloated & tender. Which is why I took her to the drs last week. She has been constipated terribly. I thought it might be the colon cancer again. I'm still not certain it's not.
So.... With her age being what it is. I'm thinking they(drs) won't suggest chemo. But, who knows? Bottom line? I just don't want her to be in pain.

Thoughts, opinions....Greatly Appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2009, 03:24 AM
Re: My Mother In Law

I am so sorry that your MIL is having more issues. I would think that they probably would suggest some sort of treatment, but you have to weigh out the points. My grandmother was dx'd with breast cancer in her 90's and her daughters (my Mom included) decided that it would be best to leave her alone.
Is she in good health otherwise? Perhaps if you ask her what she would like to do. I guess I really don't have any suggestions, but wanted to send hugs and best wishes.
Unread 09-19-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 401930thst View Post
Hi, My Mother In Law is 88 yrs old. She had colon cancer 4 yrs ago. Tthey took a section of her intestines out. Started on chemo. Her husband had cancer and didn't have much time left. So, she stopped the chemo after 3 treatments. Today the dr called me to say the ultrasound on her tummy shows "malignant neoplasm of ovary". Monday we go to get her blood work done. I haven't told her yet. I've cried most of the day....
I guess a person can have 'Cancerhead' even if they don't have it themselves.
I just don't know what to expect. Her tummy is SO bloated & tender. Which is why I took her to the drs last week. She has been constipated terribly. I thought it might be the colon cancer again. I'm still not certain it's not.
So.... With her age being what it is. I'm thinking they(drs) won't suggest chemo. But, who knows? Bottom line? I just don't want her to be in pain.

Thoughts, opinions....Greatly Appreciated!
my dad was diagnosed with esophagus cancer at age 82. the oncologist said he couldn't offer him a cure, but palliative treatment to shrink the tumor (feeding tube installed, esophagus stent installed and 30 radiation treatments). his life was extended by 8 months and it was tough going at times. your m.i.l. may be offered chemo or radiation as palliative treatment which would make her more comfortable and possibly help with pain control. of course, she will have to weigh the risks against the benefits due to side effects.

i don't understand how the u/s could show that there was cancer...i didn't think it was a conclusive test. in any case, i hope it's not a recurrence, just constipation. best wishes to you both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2009, 12:36 PM

I'm sure the doctors will take into consideration your MIL's age and overall health (what she can tolerate) as well as her wishes re the best treatment to keep her as pain free as possible if indeed there is cancer again.
Yes, cancerhead can affect the relatives too. I also can understand how difficult it is to tell your MIL re the cancer dx, Several years ago my older sister (she was 69 but in general poor health) developed esophageal cancer and when the disease progressed very rapidly the doctors would call my niece vice her mom re the dx updates. As expected it was extremely difficult for my poor niece to find the way to tell her mom. My sister got the most comfort when we told her we would always "be there" for her.
I'll be keeping you and your MIL and family in prayer.
Unread 09-19-2009, 12:38 PM

401930 -

My mother had a hysterectomy and bowel resection for cancer about 3 years ago (she was 87). They gave her the option of radiation but her cancer was early stage and she didn't want it.

My FIL was 89 and had a brain tumor and they did 26 courses of radiation.

So age may not be a factor in the treatment. What you will have to think of is stress on your MIL and further affects on quality of life.

I am so sorry you are going through this.

G
Unread 09-19-2009, 03:43 PM

I would have to agree with an earlier post about the ultrasound being non conclusive. I doubt that it is just constipation though.
I had a friend a few years ago who had had abdominal pain and the ultrasound had showed malignant ovarian cancer, and she was prepared for a terminal diagnosis. They went in to operate and found that she had a ruptured diverticulum with massive adhesions.
They will likely order a ct scan or something like that to verify the diagnosis. So much of what is done then will depend on her current health, and her wishes.
Heres hoping its not cancer, but it clearly might be.
Janet

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register