Endometrial Cancer: ? about recurrence and ck-ups | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

? about recurrence and ck-ups ? about recurrence and ck-ups

Unread 09-19-2009, 06:39 AM
? about recurrence and ck-ups

I have a couple of questions and would like some of your opinions. As many of u have been on this journey for awhile. First, why do they do the CA125 every ck up when they tell u it is not a good marker for endo cancer. I have also read that CT scan is not that effective in finding a recurrence, I thought it was, but just found something saying - not. So if I have a recurrence what are the most common signs? I did not have spotting prior to my cancer dx. As u can tell I have a case of cancerhead. Thanks for your thoughts. Jan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Re: ? about recurrence and ck-ups

Hi, I just went to check past threads and believe you have stage 1A3. The type of follow-up testing done depends upon many factors - stage, grade. location, size of tumor, etc. - including the doctor's preferences. While a CA125 test or Catscan may not be helpful in general for early stage endometrial cancer, perhaps your grade is driving your doctor to use extra testing tools to ensure he is being as vigilant as possible You can always ask him why he is using these xtra tests. Keep us posted re what you learn.
Unread 09-19-2009, 12:50 PM

Yes you are correct on stage and grade of my cancer. I will see my Dr. again 12/1/09 and will certainly ask these questions. I just saw him on 9/1/09 and got so nervous that I couldn't think of anything- He also had another young Dr with him observing and that kinda threw me off.
Thanks for your imput.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2009, 03:23 PM

The ca 125 is more helpful in those who had an elevated one preoperatively with endometrial cancer. They are also looking at 20 or 25 being the cut off for normal in post menopausal women rather than 35 where they used in the past. That all being said most recurrences are diagnosed when they become symtomatic, and the symptoms are totally dependent on where the recurrences occur.
It is hard the wondering though..
Unread 09-19-2009, 03:31 PM

I should clarify my post
From all the studies I have read, a CA 125 preop over 25 would make the following of it postop a useful test in followup
Janet

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register