Scheduled TAH Flu season (kids mentioned) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Flu season (kids mentioned) Flu season (kids mentioned)

Unread 09-20-2009, 09:20 PM
Flu season (kids mentioned)

Everyone around me is getting sick. My family, friends and the kids at the school I work at. I am terrified I am going to be next and they are going to cancel my surgery. What do I do? I wish I could call my supervisor and tell her I am not comfortable working right now due to all the flu germs going around. I don't want to lose my job, I love it, just am terrified to go in for the next 2 weeks. I feel like I am fighting a battle to stay healthy for my surgery. I only work 2 hours a day, does not make me rich, but helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Re: Flu season (kids mentioned)

I work at a high school where Swine flu has been present. I work in the athletic setting so I am always around some sort of bodily fluid as disgusting as that sounds. I started to get a runny nose and a slight cough and called my GP right away and got in that sameday. I would call your GP and see what they suggest. They are the ones who deal with this on a daily (Monday - Friday) basis. It might not be bad to get the flu shot but like I just said check with your GP. I got in the sameday as I called because they knew I was getting surgery within 2 weeks and they gave me an anitbiotic to clear things up.
Unread 09-21-2009, 07:54 AM

I caught the sniffles a week or so before my surgery. I called my dr and he prescribed some meds that cleared it up and my surgery went as scheduled. He had told me that unless I was running a fever or couldn't breathe well enough, surgery could proceed.

I would take any precautions possible and call your dr quickly if you develope any symptoms.

Best wishes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2009, 08:16 AM

Hi , Could you maybe take the week off before your surgery? Or maybe give the doctor a call to see if you could take Tamiflu?

I have 3 kids. 4 weeks post-op for me they all came down with the swine flu. The doctor gave me Tamiflu, but I did not take it.(it makes my stomach hurt really bad) I kept them isolated, wore a surgical mask the doctor gave me and WASHED MY HANDS CONSTANTLY. My husband nor I never got the flu from them.

Good luck....
Unread 09-21-2009, 09:35 AM

It is official. My youngest is home sick. Do I call my GP and my OB for me. I have a sore throat now and ear pain?
Unread 09-21-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackycamper View Post
It is official. My youngest is home sick. Do I call my GP and my OB for me. I have a sore throat now and ear pain?
YES, call your GP and get him to give you an antibiotic.
Unread 09-21-2009, 10:08 AM

I would call your gyno. first find out what his protocol is for handling this. With you getting it 2 weeks out from your surgery date you should be feeling much better by then. He may give you antibiotics, tamiflu or both. Good luck.......
Unread 09-21-2009, 01:10 PM

I would call both doctors. The GYN doctor can tell you how he handles it. Your family doctor can give you the tamiflu if needed. If it is a flu you wont need an antibiotic (they only work on bacterial infections) so that shouldn't be a problem. Best wishes.
Unread 09-21-2009, 01:30 PM

I do hope you are feeling better asap, and I agree with above posts!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register