Rare Ovarian Cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Rare Ovarian Cancer Rare Ovarian Cancer

Unread 09-27-2009, 08:51 AM
Rare Ovarian Cancer

Today I am 6 weeks post op from a planned hysterectomy for a solid mass tumor. It was suppose to be benign, but turned out to be cancer. One week after surgery I was told it was a carcinoid, a lower grade of tumor. After exploratory surgery, 35 biopsies and washings and an omentumectomy, I had body scans showing no further cancer tumors. My gyn onocologist says "I have an excellent chance for being cured, need no further treatment, and will be followed closely". I am happy and blessed, but why do I feel so tired and sad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2009, 08:52 AM
Re: Rare Ovarian Cancer

Today I am 6 weeks post op from a planned hysterectomy for a solid mass tumor. It was suppose to be benign, but turned out to be cancer. One week after surgery I was told it was a carcinoid, a lower grade of tumor. After exploratory surgery, 35 biopsies and washings and an omentumectomy, I had body scans showing no further cancer tumors. My gyn onocologist says "I have an excellent chance for being cured, need no further treatment, and will be followed closely". I am happy and blessed, but why do I feel so tired and sad?
Unread 09-27-2009, 09:01 AM

You have been through an emotional and physical roller coaster. And still in recovery. I can understand why you are so tired and sad. You had alot done with your surgery and I imagine since this was ovarian cancer they removed both your ovaries, so the emotions are going to start. This is just alot to take in and it can emotionally drain us, once the reality sets in and you physically heal you will start to feel better. But I think what you are going through is completely normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2009, 05:21 PM

Hi Barb!

I'm sorry that your mass turned out to be malignant. That concept alone takes so much energy to absorb and deal with. Add that to your surgical recovery, loss of hormones, and an increased awareness of your invincibility, I think its' normal to find that you are going to be sad and tired. If it continues, though, please consider speaking to a cancer counselor. Many organizations have online support groups, telephone support, and 1-1 counseling sessions. I went to Cancer Care counseling sessions for awhile when I started panicking about recurrance and found it to be very helpful for general well-being.

Good luck! Remember, your Hystersisters are here for you, too!
Unread 09-28-2009, 03:38 AM

Hi Barb,
I agree with Ialwaysworry: you've been sitting in a rollercoaster and no way to get off. Now the rollercoaster has stopped and you have to deal with all the emotions that come with it. To me it sounds very normal, being part of the process. And as K9 says: talking/writing about it may help. I know that being on this forum has helped me a lot. Reading other womens stories as well as writing down my own feelings in the process. Helping others is helping myself.
Good luck!
Unread 09-28-2009, 07:57 AM

Thanks ladies!!! I love how women support each other! I am feeling a little better each day. Whenever someone outside my family brings it up I still get teary eyed. I guess it just takes more time. Also, I still have medical appts and scans (they found an adrenal nodule on CT) and I am having the level 2 mammogram (my sister had breast ca) so it's hard to put this all behind me yet. I think writing about it is good therapy and I wrote a poem to my surgeon (she is also a former coworker friend) but whenever I read it I get very emotional. I have a strong desire to help other women going through this in some way. I'm also confused why breast cancer gets so much awareness and contributions and ovarian cancer is a lot less promoted. With a 44% survival rate I think ovarian cancer needs to come more to the forefront of public awareness. Thank you for your support!
Unread 09-28-2009, 08:00 AM

Also, I put TLH in my tag line under my name to stand for Total Laproscopic Hysterectomy. Is that correct to put it that way?
Unread 09-28-2009, 09:41 AM

Hi Barb. While I don't know a lot about ovarian cancer, I am a survivor of both second stage breast cancer (26 years ago) and first stage endometrial cancer (last October). I know that the emotional/mental journey with a cancer diagnosis can be just as difficult as the physical. Absolutely everything you are feeling is normal.....that being said, it doesn't make it any easier to feel it! There is no "around it" with this journey....only "through" it. There is also no hurrying the emotional recovery. It just takes time, and a lot of love and support from those who surround you. Give yourself some time, but know that seeking help can be a wise thing to do too. I didn't seek counseling help, and I know now that I suffered for a long time, when I might not have needed to. Eventually you will heal physicall and regain your emotional balance. Then you will be able to fully appreciate your prognosis and can begin to enjoy living! I'm thinking about you.

Another Barb

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register