anyone with an apron belly flap that hangs over their incision? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anyone with an apron belly flap that hangs over their incision? anyone with an apron belly flap that hangs over their incision?

Unread 09-27-2009, 04:17 PM
anyone with an apron belly flap that hangs over their incision?

For lack of better wording I have a belly that hang over my pubic area and my surgeon went in the old c section area there for my sah/bso. I have 22 staples that are to come out on Tuesday. So far everything looks good, clear fluid, maybe sweat but I put a handtowel there to keep it dry and it hurts to lift the area up and really get a good look. Anyone else with an incision in this type of area and how did it heal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2009, 05:10 PM
Re: anyone with an apron belly flap that hangs over their incision?

Mine was like that just after surgery, but after about 2-3 weeks it was gone. After a shower, I would lay on the bed with a fan blowing to dry the area. You could also use a blowdryer to make sure it is dry. My doctor also gave me a cream to prevent infections in moist areas - just in case. I had no staples or stitches, but had glue. I think the glue helped keep moisture out of the incision as well.
Unread 09-27-2009, 05:16 PM

I have had this for years - I had a skin graft taken from my belly when I was a toddler, and the scar line runs from hip to hip, creating a contracture line. The biggest problem I have there is vulnerability to fungal or yeast infections. I use Zeasorb during the summer and whenever I go out for exercise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2009, 06:43 PM

I had this type of incision before. I carried a hand towel around with me to keep drying it off. It did hurt to lift it but its important to keep trying to dry the cerus fluid. It eventully was much easier to lift to keep an eye on it and it healed beautifully.
Unread 09-27-2009, 06:50 PM

Thank you.
Unread 09-27-2009, 09:51 PM

I have a similar incision and my doc had me put a panty liner across the front side of my panties to keep it dry. I am almost 3 wks post op and the flap is getting smaller every day.
Unread 09-28-2009, 01:23 AM

I had TAH and have enough of a belly flap/"apron" that my incision cannot be seen when standing unless I lift my belly up. My doctor had me fold gauze and place it in there. I also use the hair dryer after showers. I had staples, stitches, and glue (plus steri-strips).

I've had some other complications, but won't scare you with them. Just take it easy and be sure to take good care of the incision.
Unread 11-03-2009, 07:23 PM

I had to be cut from my belly button down to my pubic hair. The end of the incision is under that "apron" and doesn't look as good as the rest of my incision. I am 4 weeks post op. I also notice it smells kinda gross when I touch there and smell it. (Gross I know...but kinda smells like a belly button does) It doesn't seem to be oozing or anything. Is it just that it takes longer to heal there? I mean, when I sweat (hot flashes!) it obviously sweats there!
Unread 11-03-2009, 11:08 PM

HI---The medical term for our "hang over bellies" is "pannus" or "panniculus" and yes it DOES require extra care because of the moisture factor and possible yeast infections and skin break-down issues due to moisture. A pannus is there all the time and is not a "swelly belly"!

My incision has healed perfectly. I had a 10 inch horizontal with 15 staples---I can't believe some ladies staples are in so long! Even with large overhang belly, mine were taken out on the 4th day with no problem. I, too, lifted my belly, stood in front of a box fan and put a soft kitchen towel across the incision at night to keep it dry. And yes, it did smell "funky" and I hated that and felt dirty. I used Ivory soap only and only washed the area GENTLY with my fingers and the Ivory....After two weeks, I put corn starch powder on the thighs and around incision so it would not rub--helped a lot and felt clean. They say the blood supply is not as good to an area like an overhang belly but I had no problems.....I think the main thing is to keep it clean and DRY.
Unread 11-04-2009, 07:51 AM

Yep, I had that and thankfully, my hubby helped in that area. The doctor told him flat out after surgery, that he had to pull down the muscles and what to watch out for- yeast was the number one thing and sweat- sweat made the incision burn like fire, so about every hour, we wiped it down with a wet, soft washcloth.
Mine is now going away.
The thing is, when you pull up on your tummy, it will pull the incision. Mine was longer then most, so it was very important for it to close properly, which I did have issues with. It opened twice, but now has healed wonderfully.
Also, doc had said that we cannot feel what we are doing, it's numb there and we will rub too hard, whereas someone else can see what they are doing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register