Scheduled TAH Does anyone else have this diagnosis? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does anyone else have this diagnosis? Does anyone else have this diagnosis?

Unread 09-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Does anyone else have this diagnosis?

Sisters, Please advise if you have had this same diagnosis. My whole journey to the castle is beginning. I have not had fibroids, I have been in menapause for ten years, and have not used HRT or any other medications. I'm very much a virgin when it comes to hospital stays. In general I'm in good health. However, back in August, after a very scary PAP result (cancer of the cervix) I had an operation to, I think it's call a coneoscopy, the results came back stage three, pre-cancerous. I was so relieved that it was precancerous. However, then the other shoe dropped and my Doc, whom I trust completely, recommended a TAH. As I understand it, and I will be asking him yet again, this TAH is precautionary. His opinion is that if I have the TAH I will not have to worry about uterine cancer, which of course makes sense, but still, I wonder if it is really necessary. There is a history of I guess I would call it uterine issues in my family. I do not know of anyone on either side of my family who has had uterine cancer, but many of my relatives have had hysterectomies upon the recommendation of their docs. Has anyone else had this happen? Please, if you can, tell me what you decided to do. Thank you, prayers for all my sisters, and huge hugs,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2009, 09:49 AM
Re: Does anyone else have this diagnosis?

just my story remember we are unique, I had displasia on my cervix stage 3 that dr had been monitering coloscopies biopsies the whole bit and it always came back pre cancer.. well after going to the O.R for another procedure he saw an odd area waaaaaaaaaaay up in my cervix and did a cold knife conization. came back as cervical cancer and here I end up with my hyster, the point being it is said it may take many years for pre cancer to become cancer but in my case took less than a year. If you decide a hyster is not the way for you and I would completely understand that just make sure you get check-ups often and dont be misslead by the it will take years to develope. I had mine monitored and still this cancer was missed until i had the other procedure done. I think going for a second opinion would be wise maybe even a third close monitering should be sufficent I would think,.. Just dont neglect the seriousness of it .

Also maybe check out the cancer concerns forums a lot of women there have a lot of experience with this and I am very sure someone would be very helpful in this matter and give some great advice the sisters here have helped me in many ways through my experience
Unread 09-30-2009, 09:54 AM

Thank you so much for answering. My thinking is that this is for the best, but those doubts, I'm sure you know them. Is this really necessary? On the other hand, would it just be always a stressor, like having a ticking time bomb. At any rate, like all of us pre-op sisters, I'm a nervous wreck over this and trying to think of any way to avoid the unavoidable. I have already asked my doc, he says you must, and I do trust him. I'll be asking him again, of course, when I see him for the pre-op consult. He has already told me that it is difficult to monitor these things, that my Pap will always come back "abnormality" and that this surgery could save not only my life, but all sorts of unpleasantness just from monitoring it. Thank you once again for taking the time to answer my question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2009, 10:00 AM

Oh I know those feelings and understand the torment of it all. It is a VERY big life altering choice and should be thought about and worried about... has he said anything about cold knife conization?? or a leep if the areas of dysplasia can be removed that way?? another thing is maybe ask for a referal to see a gyn oncologist and see if they have any advice... A hyster is a good choice when dealing with cancer but if your in dysplasia dont be affraid to explore ALL options
Unread 09-30-2009, 10:10 AM

I have already had the cold knife conization, and while he says he was able to already remove most of my cervix, trying to get as much as possible of the abnormality that way, his concern is what might be lurking up in the uterus. I did quite well with that procedure, with only a day or two of moderate cramping. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions, as well as the answers of the other sisters. I know the best thing to do is to ask him again if there is any other way, any other recommendation. I doubt that there is, at least from him, and I'm concerned that taking the time for a second or third opinion could be just a waste of time for what is inevitable. I just don't know. I thank you,
Unread 09-30-2009, 10:14 AM

Elizabeth -

Any diagnosis with the word cancer or pre-cancer in it is very scary. I don't know if your doctor is talking about VAIN (I don't know much about it) when they are saying stage 3 pre-cancer. I've never heard of that but maybe some of the other cancer members will respond about it.

One of the things about "pre-cancer" is that biopsies read by different pathologists can vary. From what my gyn-onc told me there is a very fine line between later stage "pre-cancer" and early stage cancer. So one team may say pre-cancer and another team may say early stage cancer.

The reason for the hysterectomy is that they need to determine if cancer is present any place else (a cone biopsy only looks at one area).

You may feel more comfortable with your decision if you get a second opinion and possibly with a gynecological oncologist. I did and although I still had to have the hysterectomy I found a Dr who did the daVinci minimally invasive procedure. Still same things removed but less scarring, it has it's own risks so don't think this makes it risk free or necessarily a shorter recovery time.

Also if uterine cancer is suspected it is quite common to remove the ovaries and the tubes because they are usually considered estrogen fed and even after menopause they still produce some estrogen.

As Lilgozz said if they are saying pre-cancerous now odds are it's going to develop into cancer, it's just a matter of when. Although another doctor might also feel that something like radiation might be sufficient, I don't think you'll find any doctor who won't want to treat it in some way.

Our cancer forum has many threads from women who had "pre-cancer" before surgery and the cancer was found after the surgery.

G.
Unread 09-30-2009, 10:19 AM

Thank you, that gives me some talking and thinking points for myself and my Doc. I do check these forums almost daily for information, support and to some extent stress reduction, as I'm one of those persons that feels the more information I have the less stressed I will be. I can't put into words how very appreciative I am of you and all the sisters who so generously give their advise and support. My prayers and best wishes to all of you.
Unread 09-30-2009, 10:27 AM

Elizabeth -

Also, since I didn't have this option I don't think of it tha much, have you talked about a trachelectomy which is just the removal of the cervix?

Again at least a talking point.

Hugs.

G.
Unread 09-30-2009, 10:31 AM

My Doc indicated that he pretty much removed most of my cervix during the cold coneoscopy. I will ask him again, though. Thank you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register