Qestions re: sublingual and vaginal estrace | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Qestions re: sublingual and vaginal estrace Qestions re: sublingual and vaginal estrace

Unread 09-30-2009, 04:57 PM
Qestions re: sublingual and vaginal estrace

I have been using generic Estrace vaginally for 3 weeks now. I have been doing pretty well so far. My vaginal and eye/sinus dryness have completely disappeared. My libido has returned after a long hiatus. My migraines and hot flashes are gone. My sleep is not quite normal yet, but I'll take 5-6 good hours vs 2-3 of interrupted sleep anyday.

My problem is that yesterday I started having symptoms of a yeast infection. Today symptoms are really bad and I had to get something for it. I am assuming that it is from the vaginal estrogen, but wanted to check and see if anyone else has had this problem.

I also thought I should probably just use the pills sublingually while I deal with my newest issue. The only thing is that I don't feel the same using the Estrace sublingually as I do vaginally. My dose has been 1/4 - 1/2 of a .5 mg pill in a divided dose per day. In using the pills sublingually today, I'm already up to 1/4 pill X3. And I'm quite sure I will have to use more before bed tonight. So I was wondering what doses other sublingual users might be on?

I'm hoping that I will still be able to use the vaginal delivery at least part of the time as I have felt so much more relief than on anything else I've tried. I'd sure appreciate advice from anyone.

Oh, and after reading some other posts about needing to optimize estradiol before supplementing progesterone, I got brave enough to try a small amount of cream. The cream I use contains approx. 1000 mg per oz. I haven't had much in the way of negatives with it now. After reading a post from (I think) Surferbabe, she mentioned just using a tiny amount. I think I have always used guidlines set in books and it was probably usually too highl The progesterone wouldn't have had anything to do with the yeast infection would it???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Re: Qestions re: sublingual and vaginal estrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by E2Me2 View Post
I have been using generic Estrace vaginally for 3 weeks now. I have been doing pretty well so far. My vaginal and eye/sinus dryness have completely disappeared. My libido has returned after a long hiatus. My migraines and hot flashes are gone. My sleep is not quite normal yet, but I'll take 5-6 good hours vs 2-3 of interrupted sleep anyday.

My problem is that yesterday I started having symptoms of a yeast infection. Today symptoms are really bad and I had to get something for it. I am assuming that it is from the vaginal estrogen, but wanted to check and see if anyone else has had this problem.
I had a yeast infection about 2 weeks after starting the Estrace vaginally - but I had just taken antibiotics for a sinus infection too. So not sure if it was due to the antibiotics, or the vaginal pH changes/finally getting some moisture and estrogen down there. Needless to say, I took Diflucan oral yeast meds, and continued with the vaginal Estrace. Everything cleared up fine. Hope this helps.

I imagine that if you're using the vaginal treatment for a yeast infection (creams) then it would be difficult to continue with the Estrace vaginally unless you use it at least an hour before using the creams so they don't interfere with each other.

Good luck.

I had no luck with the sublingual Estrace. Didn't feel any different.

Also: The vaginal dose is about 4 times the transdermal dose. And the oral dose is 10 times the transdermal dose.
Unread 09-30-2009, 07:45 PM

Thanks Calypso. So I take it you had no flare ups after using the Diflucan? How long have you been using the vaginal delivery? Do you think the progesterone has added to this in any way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2009, 08:00 PM

Have been using this method for about 10 weeks now. After using Diflucan, had no other flareups until I had to go back on antibiotics for an ear infection. Antibiotics seem to do it for me, but I think I have a higher yeast population than average. I did notice more vaginal sensitivity with lower amounts of the Estrace. You said you were using a much lower amount than I use (your dose: 1/4 to 1/2 of 0.5mg/day). I do better with the higher dose of total 3/4 to 1 tablet of 0.5mg/day. When I started using it, I started lower and had more irritation following intercourse (TMI). With the higher amount, less irritation/more lubrication, etc.

I have great results with Diflucan. My dr prescribes it as one tablet now, another tablet in 48 hours. Usually takes care of it fine.

I don't think the progesterone has had any impact on it, but I use ORAL progesterone (prometrium). Will not use estrogen without it, due to past endometriosis and being on thyroid meds.
Unread 09-30-2009, 09:15 PM

Calypso, sorry to bug you with so many questions, but I have a couple more if you don't mind. I was wondering how long you've used progesterone, and if you have always used an oral dose. Did you ever have problems with anxiety, depression, or insomnia when you added it?
Or have you had the ravenous appetite with it?

I had severe endo also. I'm so astounded that in the late 80's my Dr just put me right on estrogen and progesterone was never mentioned.

How long did you use the sublingual delivery for your Estrace? Did you notice any relief whatsoever?
Unread 10-01-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E2Me2 View Post
Calypso, sorry to bug you with so many questions, but I have a couple more if you don't mind. I was wondering how long you've used progesterone, and if you have always used an oral dose. Did you ever have problems with anxiety, depression, or insomnia when you added it?
Or have you had the ravenous appetite with it?
No problem. I have used progesterone since I started on estrogen replacement, about 5 days after my surgery (BSO - though had uterus removed 9 years previously). I had anxiety while trying to get my estrogen level up, because initially I used the patch and was not able to absorb the estrogen from it. The anxiety went away with switching/increasing estrogen. I never had any depression and the progesterone really helped with sleep too. Yes, have always used the oral prometrium (100 mg).

No ravenous appetite with it either, though did feel hungrier once I got my estrogen level back up.

I had severe endo also. I'm so astounded that in the late 80's my Dr just put me right on estrogen and progesterone was never mentioned.
Yes, me too. My dr absolutely insisted on it. She would not allow estrogen without the progesterone alongside because of the endo.

How long did you use the sublingual delivery for your Estrace? Did you notice any relief whatsoever?
Honestly I only tried it about 3 days because my Femring had run out of estrogen, and I was waiting for my pharmacy to get a replacement in. I can't honestly say it didn't work, I'm sure I didn't give it long enough, plus I was already very low in estrogen from using the Femring past when it was effective. So I shouldn't judge whether it worked or not based on only 3 days. I was a bit paranoid too of swallowing my saliva and then it passing through the liver.

If you're trying it sublingually, you should definitely give it much longer than I did, probably weeks in fact to see if it's effective.
Unread 10-01-2009, 10:18 AM

Thanks so much Calypso!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register