Just found out not sure if my gma had ovarian cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just found out not sure if my gma had ovarian cancer Just found out not sure if my gma had ovarian cancer

Unread 10-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Just found out not sure if my gma had ovarian cancer

Huh? Was talking to my aunt my gma daughter and she said she isn't sure if her cancer originated in her ovaries or not. Now my mother died at age 52 from breast cancer and her mother died at age 52 from what I had always thought was ovarian cancer. I had the BRCA testing and I was negative. Hmmm now I had the uterus removed cuz of pain and it was pressing on my ureter. But doc said cuz of my cancer history he had to take both ovaries. Now I am 38 and second guessing what I did to my body now. Although other family members say she did die from ovarian cancer but my gma daughter can't remember where it originated. Sorry for the long post but for the first time since my SAH/BSO I feel as if I made a mistake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Re: Just found out not sure if my gma had ovarian cancer

It's hard when we have regrets or second guess ourselves. Try to believe that you made the right decision. I am sure that you did.

If there is cancer in your family, it may not matter where it originated. You made the choice that you thought was best at the time and trusted your doctor's guidance.

Time to look forward!
Unread 10-02-2009, 09:47 PM

Better safe than sorry. I do not have a family history. I have no clue if any disease or condition exists in my background. No pity party for me. I simply make sure that I see my Dr. if anything is out of the ordinary and also keep annual appointments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2009, 04:33 AM

I second what Peppermint said. If you have cancer in your family it may not matter where it originates.

One of the factors for me going ahead with this was because my mom had breast cancer last year. I have lost uncles and aunts to various types of cancer, and at least one more battling it now. I don't live in fear of getting it, but since I had the chance to remove my uterus and cervix due to the prolapse I figured it would also be a way to remove my chances of getting cervical cancer.

Our minds are weird and wonderful things. If it can second guess any situation then it will. The "What Ifs" and "why" will always be there. When you made this decision you didn't enter it lightly. You had a reason, and regardless of if GM had ovarian cancer or not, your concerns and reasons are still valid.

Keep that thought in mind, instead of dwelling on the "Could, Should, Would" We don't know what tomorrow holds, but we can make a pretty good decision based on what we do know.

Trust your judgement!
Unread 10-03-2009, 06:29 AM

I had been diagnosed with endometrial cancer at the time of my ablation two weeks before my hysterectomy. Because of the ablation all that was found in the pathology report done at the time of the hysterctomy was residual complex hyperplasia. The ovaries that were removed were healthy and so was the cervix and lymph nodes. At first I wondered if the original diagnosis was a mistake, but my doctor told me that my uterus showed definite signs of cancer even before she sent it out to pathology. It was tough reading the report and seeing that so many of the things they removed were "pink and healthy". Now that I am five weeks post-op I am feeling really different about things. I know there is always a possibility to get cancer again in the vaginal area, etc., but for some reason, I feel safe now. My cancer was caught so early and I am lucky. If I still had my ovaries I would be waking up every morning wondering is there cancer growing in them? It would plague me every minute of my life and I don't even have a history of female cancers in my family.

There is a woman in my congregation with a husband who is a prominent doctor (and should have known all the signs of ovarian cancer). She was diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer and she said she ignored her symptoms for a long time because they seemed like just usual "female stuff". She went through chemo and the prognosis is looking good, but she still lives in such fear of recurrence.

I haven't recovered fully from my hysterectomy yet and I'm not feeling 100%, but when I do, I'm going to be able to go back to the "land of the living" and put this cancer thing behind me. I think that's a small price to pay for two little ovaries the size of a quarter.

I know what it feels to have those doubts, but perhaps what "you did to your body" was allow it to live many many years cancer free. No one should have to battle this horrible invasive disease.

You will see that as you regain your body and your strength, you will feel better about your decision.
Unread 10-03-2009, 07:54 AM

Thank you all for your replies. I'm ok with my decision and I have worried about ovarian cancer for a long time but now I won't have to worry about it. But now I'm on estrogen and will have to worry about breast cancer. My mom had inflammatory breast cancer which is a very rare and aggressive cancer and she was gone in 18 months from diagnosis. My doctor isn't worried about the breast cancer history and says he will take me off estrogen when I'm 50. Well I'm 38 now.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register