Scheduled TVH Recipes please/ recovery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recipes please/ recovery Recipes please/ recovery

Unread 10-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Recipes please/ recovery

Hi,

So, the big day is Oct. 20th and my hubby can only take 4 days off which includes the days I'll be at the castle. None of my 3 wee ones are old enough to cook for themselves so I'll have to at least be able to monitor the oven. I'll have some frozen pizzas and french fries, but I would really like to make some casseroles that I can take out of the feezer and just pop in the microwave or oven. I know I can make lasagna and chili - but I would love some ideas and/or recipes if you don't mind sharing. I want something warm and comforting but not so exotic that the children will freak. My goal is too keep things calm so I can rest as much as possible. My hubby won't be here for me and my exteneded family made it clear they are busy, so I have to be super mom.

Thanks girls. You're the best!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Re: Recipes please/ recovery

I made a whole bunch of stuff this week for that very reason! Here's what I did:

1 chicken pot pie (homemade pie crust is easy, and I just mixed cut-up, boneless cooked chicken with canned vegetables and gravy, put it in a double crust, wrapped it really well, and put it in the freezer unbaked)

1 shepherd's pie (mixed cooked ground lamb with frozen mixed vegetables, then mixed that with beef gravy and put it in a pie crust, then covered it all up with mashed potatoes, wrapped it well, and into the freezer)

And 2 pasta bakes: one with cooked spicy Italian sausage, and one with ground beef. I cooked the meat while one pound of noodles were boiling, then mixed the noodles, meat, and a 28 oz. jar of sauce in a 9x13 foil pan. Wrapped and froze both.

I also made cookies, but those might be gone before my surgery!
Unread 10-03-2009, 03:27 PM

Will they eat tuna casserole? Just mix a can of cream of mushroom soup, can of milk, 2 cans of tuna, some frozen peas with a package of cooked noodles or pasta. Add some cheese if you like. Breadcrumbs on top are especially yummy.

Bean and cheese burritos: about 1/4 cup canned refried beans, sprinkle of cheese, rolled up in each tortilla, lay seam side down in baking dish. Sprinkle more cheese on top before heating. My 11 year old loves these and has started making them himself.

Also check the Betty Crocker website for Bisquick impossible pies. You make a batter and pour it over the other ingredients ( my kids like broccoli and cheese) and bake. It makes its' own crust. I just don't remember the amounts for the batter.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2009, 03:41 PM

Perhaps our HysterSisters Cookbook forum has some recipes that will work for you. There's even a section of make-ahead freezer dishes.

Unread 10-03-2009, 08:50 PM

You have a few weeks to do all of this, so here's what I would do:

As you're cooking over the next few weeks, just make double batches of everything -- one batch in "your" pan and one batch in a foil pan. (Yes, I'm thinking "easy cleanup" here. ) Just about every casserole (or hot dish, as we say in the Midwest) freezes like a charm... so think homemade mac & cheese, tuna casserole, lasagne, or whatever you like.

If you're like me, you really only cook the same 15-20 meals over and over anyway, with a few "extra" meals thrown in for variety.

Then once you're post-op, all you have to do is have DH put the frozen casserole in the oven, break open a bag of pre-washed salad, and you have dinner! For the other nights, there's always a sub shop nearby, the stand-by 1-800-PIZZA and the deli at the grocery store.

I also agree wholeheartedly with the suggestion to try out our recipe section. And if you have something great to share, please post! That's how the cookbook grows.

to you as you make your final preparations.
Unread 10-03-2009, 09:59 PM

I often will buy ground beef, fry and then freeze it so it is available for any type of dish. If you freeze ~ 1lb in a gallon size zip lock bag it thaws very quickly. You can do the same with pasta. This way you can open a jar of sauce and have a fresh non casserole dinner with very little work and a lot less time. THe kids can make tacos, sloppy joes ect with the precooked meats. Good luck
Unread 10-04-2009, 07:31 AM

All of these ideas are amazing! I've been cruising this site for weeks and somehow overlooked the recipe section. Tunnel vision I guess! lol

Is there any food item that doesn't freeze well? Like eggs or potatoes?So far, all I put in the freezer was leftover beef vegetable soup, but I'm the only one who really liked it. It was an experimental recipe.

I love the ideas of using the foil pans. Easy clean up is perfect!!

Making the ground beef ahead is a great idea since you have to stand at the stove watching it as it browns for so long. Plus, I never knew you could cook plain pasta and then freeze it. It makes sense!

All the ideas have been really terrific. I have added them all to my grocery list. Even the cookies! lol

You ladies are the best!
Unread 10-04-2009, 11:23 AM

Lunchables are a great thing too if you just don't have the energy to get up to do anything.
Unread 10-04-2009, 12:01 PM

I just posted a very easy and tasty breakfast burrito recipe under the Pre-Op Hints Forum!

They are awesome and the kids would love them.
Unread 10-04-2009, 12:14 PM

Before I went in I had my husband go to Sams. I had him pick up pizza, marie chandlers chicken pot pies (they are great microwaved), breakfast burritos,and ravioli. He did a lot of the cooking but when he worked nights I needed help. It took me three weeks before I felt like doing any cooking at all. When I do cook my back is killing me before I get done. I wish you had someone that could come by and check on you and help you out some. One night my church brought me dinner and a friend at work gave me lots of coupons for fast food.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register