Vaginal hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal hysterectomy Vaginal hysterectomy

Unread 09-16-2001, 12:57 PM
Vaginal hysterectomy

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum. I had a endometrial abaltion scheduled last Monday and during the surgery they were unable to perform the ablation because they found a large fibroid tumor at the mouth of the uterus connected to the cervix. I have had preliminary conversation with the Dr., I seem him to discuss the failed procedure in detail this coming Thursday.

Who can tell me more about a vaginal hysterectomy? I understand they can take your uterus and ovaries in this manner? And I understand that the fibroid tumors are not a problem vaginally because they just cut them up, along with the uterus, and remove them?

Do I have any of this information correct? Help! Many thanks.

T-Anne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2001, 01:12 PM
Vaginal hysterectomy

Hi T-Anne Welcome to Hyster Sisters. I'm so happy you've found us.

I had my TVH for fibroid (a very large fibroid - 16 to 29 week in size) and rectocele repair. Originally, I was scheduled for a TAH and it was only at the last minute that my doctor decided to try for a TVH.

While it is possible to have a TVH with large fibroids, some doctors prefer to do a TAH since they have more room to work in.
Your best option is to voice your concerns to your doctor.

Wishing you the best of luck in your quest for answers.
Unread 09-16-2001, 01:20 PM
Vaginal hysterectomy

Welcome T-Anne!
There is a lot of info on this site and am glad you foudn it! I am having a vaginal too. There is a wonderful site (WARNING: NOT for the faint of heart!), at www.pelvicfloor.com
The Dr there actually shows pictures and explains the entire op! REALLY graphic, but if you get there, you can see that he removes it in one piece too. My dr likes to do an abdominal should things be too big to pull through in one piece. Maybe this is just a preference! I have heard of it being done in pieces, but not for a very long time.
Yes they can remove the ovaries vaginally too. It really is a faster procedure than most think. When I watched a film of it, the dr had the uterus out in less than 1/2 hour!
Wonderful things they are doing these days!
Let me know when your hyster is and I will light a candle for you! Mine is Oct 1st! Can't wait! Getting antsy!
Again WELCOME!!! And God Bless!
Peanut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2001, 07:47 AM
Vaginal hysterectomy

I know that they do not take the uterus in pieces except the newer supracervical procedure. If one has uterine cancer or a precancerous condition, they would contaminate the entire abdomen.
Unread 09-17-2001, 08:00 AM
Vaginal hysterectomy

Hi and welcome!

My fibroid was too large for my doctor to attempt a vaginal hysterectomy, so I had an abdominal one.

Also, whether or not to have the ovaries removed is definitely something you need to discuss with your doctor. Mine were healthy, and I was only 28, so we decided to leave them in. They are continuing to work beautifully, so I do not need to take any hormone replacement therapy.

Read as much as you can, post your questions here, and discuss ALL your options with your doctor!

:halfmast:
Unread 09-17-2001, 09:20 AM
LAVH-uterus in pieces

My uterus was too big because of fibroids to get out in one piece through the vagina, and my dr knew that I didn't want an incision, so she cut it into pieces to get it out. The ovaries were removed through lapriscopic incisions. I wish I could have kept them, but they were afraid I had ovarian cancer (turns out I didn't thank God). If your ovaries appear to be healthy, my humble opinion is that you should keep them unless there's a history of ovarian or breast cancer in your family (but you should listen to your dr).

My initial recovery was very good. I drove at one week without problem and returned to work part-time after 10 days . My biggest problem at the beginning was fatigue, and you have that no matter what kind of surgery you have! I still have some aches and pains after almost 4 months, but I have pushed myself very hard due to a demanding job. My biggest problem now is the battle to get the correct balance of hormones.

Good luck! It's a major procedure, but I didn't have that much pain (with the meds, discomfort was the worst thing I felt).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register