Help!!! sore throat surgery 10/12 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help!!! sore throat surgery 10/12 Help!!! sore throat surgery 10/12

Unread 10-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Help!!! sore throat surgery 10/12

I have ben waiting 6wks for this surgery, have had all pre-adm. testing and all set for Monday, my house has been sick, all but me. Now I am feeling a sore throat. I don't want to postpone my surgery. Has anyone had to postpone surgery due to getting sick? Do you think I will have to postpone my surgery?

BSO- possible ovarian cancer 10/12/09 surgery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Re: Help!!! sore throat surgery 10/12

Hi there,
I'd call your surgeon and/or go to your primary doc ASAP and try to get on some antibiotics if they think you have an infection.
Criteria for postponement does include infection and fever... although I'm not sure how bad of either.
I noticed on my nursing admission notes that I had a very slight fever (99.3 F, right at the threshold) and they still performed the surgery.
I also had been suffering from renal colic for several months, had blood in my urine, and had recently been on Percocet for the pain. Believe you me when I say that I thought for sure my surgery would be postponed, many times, if there was something seriously wrong with my kidneys! We still don't know exactly what was causing the pain, but I haven't had it since my hysterectomy!

Best wishes!
Unread 10-07-2009, 07:37 PM

Lyndd,
Well to answer your question, I did my bowel prep, on Sunday 10/4 headed to the castle on Mon, got to the castle at 5:45am. Got back to pre-op clothes off, blood drawn, IV in then... the nurse decided to take my temp (request this be done first) and it was 101.0, at that point the doctor was notified, and she said it was too risky, and I was CANCELLED!! I was devestated, I had been anticapating this since Aug. I had done everything bowel prep, medicated douche, I had my mind wrapped around this. My son had a temp a couple of days prior. He was fine on Monday. I really don't think I was sick, at least not physically, I think the temp was caused from stress, dehydration, and nerves. After I came home and took a nap, I felt pretty good. I wished it wasn't cancelled, now I have another month to wait... and worry. I hate all of this waiting. So call your Doctor, and get some antibiotics, make sure you tell them you are having surgery, so they will give you something that will be ok to take prior to having surgery.
Good luck, God Bless.
Stacy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2009, 08:37 PM

thanks, I don't have a fever, I will call for antibiotic tomorrow though to hopefully ward off anything that will postpone this surgery.
Unread 10-08-2009, 01:05 PM

I have had a nagging phlegmy cough hanging on from a cold 2 weeks ago. The Oncologist nurse said the same, as long as I dont have a fever or dark colored discharge, I am on for 10/12-
Unread 10-08-2009, 03:10 PM

I was like you just before my last surgery, paranoid it would be cancelled because I had a cold and felt rough. Swine flu was around at the time too. I put off ringing the hospital for a couple of days. When I rang I was told to come in on the day and they'd check me out before surgery. They took my temperature and checked out my chest. It went ahead. Also had to go to hospital day before to have ultrasound on heart -this was because they found what they thought was a heart murmur at pre-op.

Please get in touch with the hospital, they may have a different policy than mine. Don't spend time worrying like I did, get it checked out.
Unread 10-08-2009, 03:24 PM

well that is good to hear that even with a cough they still will go through with the surgery. I am going to be on an antibiotic for 5 days so I should be fine for surgery. I have been sleeping on a blow up mattress on my livivng room floor to ward off my husband's germs/cough. Staying away from him as much as possible, using hand sanitizer,etc.

BSO 10/12

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register