Painful BMs started again 6 weeks after rectocele repair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Painful BMs started again 6 weeks after rectocele repair Painful BMs started again 6 weeks after rectocele repair

Unread 10-13-2009, 09:40 AM
Painful BMs started again 6 weeks after rectocele repair

I'm 6 weeks post-op, and for the first week I had, like so many others, very painful bowel movements, especially in the lower left pelvic area. That went away after a couple of weeks, and now they're back again!!

I notice the movements are harder again, in spite of my water and fiber intake, and that it doesn't feel like I'm completely empty when I'm done (much like my rectocele felt before it was repaired during surgery).

I'm concerned the repairs have "let loose" or something else. Anyone else have painful movements return?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Re: Painful BMs started again 6 weeks after rectocele repair

I can't answer your question, as I just got scheduled for rectocele surgery for 12/1/09. But I am curious - did you have any other type of repair done at the same time, and did you have a urogyn or a gastro surgeon do it? I will be following the answers to your question carefully.......wow, wouldn't want to have to go thru this surgery twice! Good luck to you,
Unread 10-18-2009, 08:30 PM

I had a total hysterectomy, vaginally, and both anterior (cystocele) and posterior (rectocele) repairs.

Since I started this topic, I've noticed that my rectum isn't completely emptying and is beginning to bulge again when full. Not as bad as before, but I fear the repair has weakened already.

I'm not scheduled to see my OB/GYN doctor (who also did the surgery) until April of next year, but I may be calling him sooner than that.

Hope all goes well with your surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2009, 06:19 PM

Jan,
I had a rectocele repair 3 yrs ago. My pain is rectal and along the ligament that runs along the left side of the tail bone down to the vaginal/rectal area. I thought that a couple of bouts of constipation "ripped" something out. But now I don't think that is the case. I saw the urogyn surgeon that did my surgery (of course what he did is perfect and he doesn't know what could be causing the pain but it was nothing that he did...his words). He did tell me that how a urogyn repairs a rectocele is to patch on the vaginal wall and pushing the rectocele back into the rectal area. He said that there is still a rectocele but contained within the rectum. He said that sometimes that doesn't work for some cases and a colon/rectal surgeon has to go in and cut out the "bulging" section from the rectum. He is referring me to a colon/rectal surgeon. I'm going to get the consult, but I don't know what to do. I have read that there can be a lot of complications from the surgery because of damage to the rectum. I'm also not sure that it will fix my pain, since I think that a nerve on the ligament got damaged during my surgery. I am looking at consulting with a neurologists for pain management. My advice is don't wait...call your doctor and get an appointment for him/her to evaluate your recovery. I hope that your gyn has better news for you!!!
Unread 10-23-2009, 08:27 PM

Wow, 3 years and still problems?

What your urogyn says about rectocele repair sounds way different from what my gyn surgeon did. My surgeon cut through the vaginal wall and tightened up the ligaments holding the rectum (with numerous stitches). He did the same with my bladder. It's the ligaments holding the pelvic organs in place that get stretched with childbirth, etc. The aging process doesn't help either.

But he didn't just "push" the rectocele back into place. That sounds really odd compared to all the research I did beforehand regarding rectoceles.

Maybe he used a mesh patch to do the repair? My doctor won't use those because he says they frequently have problems in the years after surgery.

I hope you find the answers you need. Please keep in touch with us.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register