easy surgery, horrible recovery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

easy surgery, horrible recovery easy surgery, horrible recovery

Unread 10-19-2009, 01:43 AM
easy surgery, horrible recovery

First too bad I didn't find this web site until now that I have already had my surgery! I had LVH on Oct 2nd @ 6:45 am, the worst of the surgery for me was how cold I was post op. I was shivering so bad the nurses were unable to get a blood pressure reading. Finally after 8 blankets and the warming cover (the one that is filled with hot air) I stopped shivering enought they could get BP and take me to a regular room. Being my bossy self I sent my sister across town to my house for MY blanket. A 23.5 pound mink blanket! After an hour I had finally warmed up enough that I felt I could function and realized I wasn't in pain! It worried the nursing staff that I wouldn't allow them to administer anything other than something to help control the swelling. Got an unscheduled visit from my dr so he could stop in to see the famed blanket the staff were all talking about and more to the point to tell me I had better not try moving it on my own.

At 4 pm my back started hurting like back labor and I asked for tylenol 3 which I had requested the dr have ordered before the operation. an hour and a hlaf later the nurse came in with regular strength tylenol. To put it nicely I wasn't nice told her forget it I'll deal until my personal supply makes it to me and get out of my room. The nurse in turn thought that meant to go get a morphine pump. When I again declined, she turned to a male friend in the room and proceeds to tell him his wife really I needed the morphine. That probably angered me more than anything. I'm not married and even if I was she had no right to speak over me and try to convince someone else to approve the administration of any narcotic that I had expresssly declined before and after surgery! Thank god for teenagers and they don't always think thinkgs through the BF's lovely son went to my house and brought my 2 pills to me! After that episode any time that door opened I was quick to say if you don't have food, your not taking out the iv or the catheter then you need to leave. Other than that bout of pain, I felt great. I was able to get up walk around. I almowt wish I had the same bowel problems you ladies talk about! About 4 hours post op I told the nurse I had to get up and go to the bathroom. She explains I have a catheter and don't really have to go. I explain I can feel the catheter and thats not what I need the bathroom for! I know she didn't really think I needed to go but she helped me drag everythng across the room and had the look of total shock when I was done! Finally the dr comes back in the morning and says since I'm on no medication, he's going to let me go home two days early!

Of course since I had virtually no pain or what I percieved as less pain than I deal with for migraines I didn't do very well at listening to my dr, came home alone and proceeded with normal life. On day 3 I hemorraged. Got that issue resolved, took it easier this time around. On day 10, I was raped.

For those of you gals wondering if you really need to wait those 6 weeks before partaking in sexual activity including vaginal penetration, WAIT!!! First your going to hurt like mad afterwards, then starts the bleeding so you decide you'd better tell the dr... the examination that will follow is like mureder. I have a very high tolerance for pain, and was cryin like a little school girl. I had stitches replaced, started on antibiotics, the dr used some goop to help recovery. Now 6 days post rape 16 days post op, I am walking around like many of you describe immedialtly after surgery. I've got some strange swelling going on on the left side of my lower abdomen which feels way better with pressure so I guess back to the dr I go tomorrow morning. If I wasn't so afraid of a positive cancer diagnosis I would wish I could go back in time and not do the surgery...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2009, 03:32 AM
Re: easy surgery, horrible recovery

I am so sorry for your awful experience. I am at a loss for words. May you heal quickly with no further complications. I hope you are surrounded by supportive loved ones.
Unread 10-19-2009, 06:10 AM

Holy heck. I am so sorry for your experience during all of this. I hope you continue to recover, physically as well as mentally and emotionally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2009, 05:14 PM

locolela, I hope you are doing better after this ordeal! You truely show us all how tough the human spirit can be. This sort of stress can make it difficult to heal or make you open to infections so you will need to make sure you rest, rest, rest and take a really strong vitamin complex with lots of B groups in it. You will get through all this and come out the other side but need to take VERY good care of your SELF now. I know you will find this forum a safe place to reach out for some TLC in these coming months where your healing and emotional needs are going to be no. 1. Take care, NOOP.
Unread 10-19-2009, 05:24 PM

wow! I too am sorry for all you have been through! big ~hugs~ hunny!! rest!
Unread 10-19-2009, 07:18 PM

I am so sorry for what you have gone through. I pray for your fast recovery both physically & mentally. Where you all alone while you were recovering? I was afraid to even open my door for about a month after my surgery & every one thought I was crazy. I told them if I got raped in the condition I was in I would die. I guess you really don't die but wow. I wish you peace.
Unread 10-19-2009, 07:24 PM

Sending yout prayers/good vibes/and everything else I can think of.

Take much care,

Unread 10-19-2009, 09:58 PM

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers . . . I can't imagine what you've been through, but I know that its been very difficult for you.

Unread 10-19-2009, 11:06 PM

OMG-that is horrffic....huge hugs to you, and prayers and throughts and any positive vibes I can send your way~!!!
Unread 10-20-2009, 12:37 AM

Thanks all for the hugls, love and prayers. For the four days I stayed home alone other than my dog at night. During the day my family was around almost constantly, so I made everyone leave when I was ready to go to sleep for the night. After that I let my kids start staying at home with me again. They are preteenish so old enough to help me with whatever I asked...
Honestly I the thought of rape after surgery never crossed my mind. Really who does that? When it did happen it was a person I thought I could trust and had spent time with alone before. I made the mistake of having a margarita (Dr approved IF I didn't take meds) about an hour after the drink I started hurting really bad and took pain medication. You know when you are drugged and can't really work your body but you know what is happening? That is the state I was in... For his protection I had my dog locked in the back of the house. My poor baby did all he could to get through the doors to help mommy. I'm not sure if its a good thing or not that he hasn't learned to open all the doors in the house yet. His poor paws look horrible from where he was digging through the wooden doors and floor though. Thankfully my kids slept through the ordeal so at least they were spared that sight.
It is amazing how much the human body can take isn't it? That strange swelling and pain was yet another infection. So here we go on round three of antibiotics. First for a UTI that I swear we almost all wound up with, then as a precaution for any STD's he may have had and now for this. I swear I don't understand with all the risks why some women risk it and have sex before they are released. This incident has set back my recovery from a tentative release date of 2 weeks post op (I have am online tech support) to now a possibility of being released at the earliest of mid November.
So now the next obstacle, how to defeat boredom! As if insomnia weren't bd enough beforehand now I really can't sleep at night. Strangely enough I have no problem sleeping around 1 in the afternoon, unfortunatly school lets out a few hours later and I'm conditioned to be awake when they get home. So I sit here for hours surfing the web and brushing up on JAVA and HTML so I can move up at work whenever I do get to go back. You can only stare at a computer screen for so long though! I think at times I'm going to go insane before I get that release and its only been 17 days...
Well good luck to you all, and best wishes to everyone. Remember its mind over matter...If we don't mind then it don't matter!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register