a week away and getting nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

a week away and getting nervous a week away and getting nervous

Unread 09-18-2001, 06:42 PM
a week away and getting nervous

hi my name is dawn and I'm 33 years old and have surgery next Tuesday.This surgery should've happened 4 years ago,but the doctor kept telling me nothing was wrong.He also said I didn't have a thyroid problem either.(that surgery was last october on the 7th.)I'm very nervous about this surgery.Will I feel less of a woman?Will i feel very different?Will I take a long time to heal?I have so many people that count on me daily for everything that this is going to be hard.I called the dotors office because I was getting nervous.I still get mad at the docotr who could've forseen this years ago instead of telling me it was all in my head.I think us women know more about our bodies than anyone else.We know when we are'nt right.But the doctors love to say it's in our head.(especially if there male)Well I'm very scared and nervous and hope to here from someone for the support.God Bless and take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2001, 06:54 PM
a week away and getting nervous

Hi and welcome.

What you are feeling is perfectly normal...it seems to be part of the whole experience for most of us. I was a wreck, and had put off my surgery for years out of fear.

The only thing I can tell you is that you may feel different...you will probably feel BETTER! You won't be burdened with constant bleeding, pain, bloating, incontinence, painful sex, etc etc...you will begin to feel healthy for the first time in a long time!! I can't believe how much better I feel now. I got my life back. That makes me feel MORE like a woman, not less. I'm not a patient anymore, I'm just a person.

The waiting is the very worst part of this...you may take a while to heal. Six to eight weeks is the usual timeframe before you begin resuming activities, but everyone varies on how long it is before they feel really good. But it's a small amount of time in the scope of a lifetime...you'll have your whole new healthy life ahead of you. Hang in there, keep reading and posting, and we'll all be here to help you.

Karen
Unread 09-18-2001, 07:13 PM
dawnie

Hi Dawnie,
I am also having my surgery on the 25th and have been working through all the questions you have talked about. Thinking about all of those things has made me cry at times, get mad, and upset, but I think I had to do that to come to terms with what was coming. And then I could start to think about how good I am going to feel, how I will not be planning everything around my (.) and not going through being tired, weak, and in discomfort all the time.
This site has taught me that we go through what we need to, to feel better and the support here makes all of this feel normal for me. In one week we will be on our way to recovery and getting our lives back. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate and I will thinking of you and hope we both do just great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2001, 08:27 PM
Hi Dawn,

My surgery was sept.12. I had a TAH-BSO done and I can only say for myself I feel so much better. Still very weak but I'm walking some around my apartment. Just take things really slowly after you come home . Drink lots, take your meds on time and rest,rest ,rest. My doctor's had thought that it was all in my mind for years to until they saw the patholigy report. Hang in there and get the Hystersisters book it's a lifesaver!! God Bless, Dawn P.S. they found fibriods, endo in the muscle of my former uterus, adeo. on the inside of it and huge cysts evrywhere.
Unread 09-18-2001, 09:07 PM
had my pre-op

Hi all LIW

I am scheduled for TVH and other repairs on Sept. 24. due to 2nd degree prolapse uterus and bladder. Went today for pre-op, and all the info here I picked up let me have good questions for the doc and nurses. I want to take my admission nurse with me thru my trip. Wish I could. She was great. Still, I have the anxiety of not knowing all I will have left. DD said right now I am keeping my ovaries. Once he gets in there and gets a good look he will take care of anything I am not already to have done. He scared me today. I was told once he tapes up the bladder, I will be wakened to cough, then put back to sleep. Ok that scares me. He said I probably will not even remember it. Any other of you go thru this? I'm sure some have. I asked him if after I wake and cough once, is he gonna wake me again after any adjustments are made. This is an added fear I have now. Can't wait to get this over with. A normal life without so much pain and discomfort awaits me. I wish those coming up a good stay at the castle and great nurses. Those that have had thiers already, I hope that recovery is going well. I also am now dealing with my youngest child just entering the service today, his first day of boot camp. Life here has changed completely in a matter of days. I told him not to worry about me on Monday, keep his concentration of his future, I will be alright. Take care ladies and God bless America. Eleanor
Unread 09-18-2001, 09:15 PM
i forgot

i forgot to mention my fibroids, how that happened i have no idea too much on my plate right now i guess take care eleanor
Unread 09-18-2001, 09:36 PM
I'm scared too!

Hi Dawn,
I am 12 days away from my trip to the castle for a TAH-BSO--have all the same fears, especially the ones about "will I be the same", "will my husband notice my cervix missing"---so many more....., but, I also know that the decision has been made and I know it is the right one. I have learned so much from this site, it has helped get me through these last days of WAITING!!!!
I agree with you on knowing our own bodies---it is so true.
We will be thinking of you on your day----keep in touch.
You'll do great, keep a positive attitude, there are greener pastures on the other side--that's what I'm heading for!
Take good care,
Kim

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register