Scheduled LSH Will I be okay for Christmas - surgery 12/7? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will I  be okay for Christmas - surgery 12/7? Will I be okay for Christmas - surgery 12/7?

Unread 11-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Will I be okay for Christmas - surgery 12/7?

Hi - I'm waiting to hear if my surgery will be 12/7,12/14 or 12/21 and hope to find out this week. I need to plan ahead, of course and was wondering if anyone had feedback regarding the recovery time and how I might feel come Christmas. Best case scenario would be surgery on 12/7.

The doctor will try her best to remove my fibroid laparosciply, which will include the uterous and my ovaries. She's seen ovarian cancer and thinks it best to remove them but after reading through this website, it sounds like maybe I should talk this through with her further.

I'm 52 years old.

Thank you,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Re: Will I be okay for Christmas - surgery 12/7?

I guess it all depends on how you will recover, and what you mean by "being OK"... If you're planning on having your whole family over and preparing a meal for 27 people, NO, you will not be OK! If, on the other hand, you mean celebrating with some friends or family, having THEM shop, cook and clean up and you just enjoying the company and opening presents, then you may very well be OK!

I had my TAH 12 days ago, and my recovery has been very smooth so far. So good that this afternoon, I went to a friend's daughter's birthday party (a 3 year old), and had a great time! Empire-waist dress and stay-ups were the key... Of course, I mainly sat and chatted with people, but I was feeling fine. A bit sore tonight, but nothing to worry about, and nothing a good night sleep won't solve!

Naturally, no one knows how you will feel by then. But if all goes well, I'm confident Santa will make sure you enjoy that sweet time of the year!

Good luck!
Unread 11-01-2009, 09:42 PM

Hi Chris, I will be 5 weeks post-op for my LSH tomorrow. I kept my ovaries and I am 47 years old. The first few days to a week, I was very sore and I felt much pain in standing up and sitting down. After the 2 week mark, I was feeling much better and could move more easily without pain. However, I can still feel a pull on my internal stitches if I do too much or have spent alot of time on my feet. Also when I cough or sneeze, it is STILL agony due to the pulling on those stitches. Everyone is different in their recovery process but you have to think of yourself first! Even though you will be having laproscopic incisions, it is still a major operation on the inside. ALL of the nurses reminded me of that fact when I was in the hospital. It takes time to heal so you will not want to over-do it for the holidays. I hope that this helps and good luck! We are all here to support one another.
Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2009, 10:39 PM

Was wondering that myself........ am on the op list for the 9 Dec unless there is a cancellation.... DH & I went out this morning to get the chrissy pressies out the way, so that part is nearly done thank heavens......... Am lucky DH is very good to me and Christmas Day we go to my parents for the day so wont be doing much & DH wont let me..... We usually have every one over for a BBQ on BOxing Day but Hubby can organise that LOL Goodluck
Unread 11-02-2009, 01:11 PM

Hi Chris,

I also had a LSH. At the two-week mark, I returned to work with my Dr's okay. My LSH is still one of the best things I ever did for my long term health.

In post-op, I can just suggest listening to your body, delegating things when you can...and just try not to overdo it. We Hyster Sisters all heal at different speeds.

On the ovaries...I might really suggest talking to your Dr. further about that. If your ovaries are healthy and ovarian cancer does not run in your family...why not consider leaving them?? I was 46 when I had my hyst and in pre-op, my Dr. told me that 5% or less of women get ovarian cancer. That was good odds for me. I was not prepared to remove my healthy ovaries to prevent something that might never happen. Also, the ovaries secrete important hormones that help with overall health. And newer studies are showing that the ovaries secrete their important hormones well into menopause..and that by keeping the ovaries in post-op...it helps with the overall health of the heart.

In the end...just do what feels *right* for you. Drs. give us options...and we make the final decision when it comes to our bodies.

Best wishes~

Mary
Unread 11-02-2009, 05:31 PM

Thank you everyone!!! I surely will be talking to my doctor about keeping my ovaries. She's already planning on keeping my cervix where it is. I just hope she really gets me in on the 7th. She's trying to move another patient who can't make up her mind to another day so she can fit me in, If not the 7th, then I'll have to wait for the 14th or possibly the 21st. I'm praying for the 7th.

So glad I found this website - I've learned so much already.

Chris

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register