Scheduled dVH/RALH Nervous about cancellation... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous about cancellation... Nervous about cancellation...

Unread 11-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Nervous about cancellation...

My Da Vinci TLH is scheduled Nov 9th...here is my dilemma....I am TERRIFIED that I am going to get sick and have my surgery postponed!

My 6 year old son is home with me today running a fever of 104 and diagnosed with H1N1.

Anyone get canceled the day of surgery due to a fever or symptoms of a brewing illness?

I'm not sick right now but I have a week (exactly) to go and from what I hear with H1N1 if 1 person gets it expect the household to get it.

I've already got everything set for work (sent messages to clients and everything) that I will be out. Everything is prepared - I DON'T WANT TO BE POSTPONED.

I'm washing my hands, using sanitizer, and washing his blankets everyday so he doesn't 'reinfect' himself - poor little guy is so sick he can't walk right now!

Please pray he gets better soon and pray that I go in as scheduled!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Re: Nervous about cancellation...

you're both in my prayers!
Unread 11-03-2009, 10:48 AM

EEK, is all I can say. I will be praying for you and your family that you do not get sick.

If I could give you one suggestion, is to call your doctor and see what they suggest about having someone in the house with H1N1 with your surgery date coming up in one week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2009, 10:54 AM

Hi bulrich22,

I am so sorry to here your son is sick!
Praying that your son gets well quickly and that you do not catch the bug!

and Prayers!
car^go

"Go Hawkeyes" 9 & 0 !
Unread 11-03-2009, 11:16 AM

I was cancelled twice due to bladder infection. I had been on antibiotics for 5 days the first time, but the doctor felt it wasn't enough time. The reschedule a week later I still had some infection in my preop urine specimen and he cancelled again. He said there will be a catheter which normally comes out the next day, but if I have an infection, they have to leave it in until it has cleared.

If you are not symptoms, you will probably proceed on time. I would call your doctor and let him know that your son is sick and see what he recommends. Better to know now than to get there and find out last minute.

Wishing you go as planned and your son recovers quickly.
Unread 11-03-2009, 11:18 AM

Well here is my story... I was scheduled for my DaVinci on Oct.5, on Saturday Oct.3, my son gets a fever, about 101., it was to late to go to urgent care,( usually would not have went right away, but thought I should due to H1N1 and surgery 2 days away). The next day is Sunday, had to wait for urgent care to open at noon, the doctor said right away, will out even examining him "yep, he has swine flu," I thought oh, no, now what, surgery is tomorrow, what should I do, the doctor was kinda a jerk and said,"why would you cancel, we had it at our house, and it wasn't that bad. He did give me a script for Tamiflu, and I went ahead and called the doctor on call, it was not my doctor, but she said I want to call your doctor and see what she wants to do, she asked me if I was having any symptoms, and I was not. The on call doctor called back after speaking with my doctor, she said they both agreed that since I wasn't having any symptoms, and had started the Tamiflu, we were going to proceed. I was her very first case the next morning.

I arrived at the "castle" at 5:45am, for my 7:30 am surgery. I got prepped, blood drawn, urine sample given, IV inserted, and so on, then the nurse took my temperature it was 101.0, then she asked me how I was feeling. At that point I said" well I haven't had anything to eat in 20 hours, nothing to drink since 10:00pm, and had a bowel prep, so I am not feeling great." The doctor was told of my temp, and she said it was too risky, there had been a women who died after a c-section, she said it was still abdominal surgery, so I was cancelled. The doctor said since I was already recieving the IV fluids, I may as well finish the bag, so I finally left the hospital @ 9:00am. I got something to eat and took a nap and physically felt ok, no more fever. I was almost like the thermometer was broken, or something.

My son who had been diagnosed just the day before with H1N1, was home with Grandma, he no longer had a temp, and never had any of the H1N1 symptoms, he was playing video games, and running around. I think he had a sinus infection, like I said the doctor never even examined him, they are so quick to call everything the flu, these days.

My advice would be call your doctor, and get a script for Tamiflu, and start it immediatly, this way it may prevent you from becoming infected, or if you do get sick, it should lessen the severity.

Good luck, and God bless your family, I pray you son will feel better, soon.

PS.. Get your temp taken before they do anything in pre-op!!!!
Unread 11-03-2009, 11:44 AM

Just over a week ago my oldest daughter (13) started developing a fever, chills, achy all over etc. the fever was around 101-102 but went away with tylenol every 4-5 hours (as fever came back). She was at her dad's house and his 4 1/2 year old twins got sick. Then on tuesday my 11 year old son got the same thing and by thursday my 8 year old daughter had it both of them had fevers of 103 but releaved by tylenol. All 3 were over it in 48 hours or so. However my ex had to take his twins in because they were going on day 5 of it and they were diagnosed with H1N1 which meant that all of my kids had that also. DH started getting sick on friday but better by sunday and my step son and I never got it.

I took care of all my kids like I always do and other then washing my hands did nothing else to prevent getting sick because I thought it was just a cold. They never had vomitting or the runs or anything that would suggest the regular flu or swine flu.

I am not sure if I was just lucky or not but being 4 weeks post-op at the time I am sure glad to know I didnt get it. I dont think everyone who comes in contact gets it or everyone who was at my kids school the days they were sent home for being sick would have it. Keep washing hands, use hand sanitizer and have others take care of whomever is sick as much as possible and as long as you dont have a fever I would think you would be ok.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Edited to say that the doctor told me that the H1N1 main symptoms are high fever (101 and above) body and joint aches all over, upset stomach but not always vomitting, headaches and lasts anywhere from 2 days to 10 days. He also said to be very careful of dehydration, that is what puts most people in the hosptial and to keep the fever down, tylenol works for the fever and for that aches and pain. I am not a doctor so talk to your doctor if you suspect you or someone else has H1N1, I just wanted to let you know what mine said.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register