Five Months Post-Op - Body Changes/Questions.. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Five Months Post-Op - Body Changes/Questions.. Five Months Post-Op - Body Changes/Questions..

Unread 11-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Five Months Post-Op - Body Changes/Questions..

Hi - I underwent a total hysterectomy in June 2009 due to uterine cancer (early stages). I currently take Estrogen/Climara patch, a daily multi-vitamin and Citrical, but have felt/seen the following changes:

-Muscle/joint aches
-Hair thinning (don't know if it's my imagination or if it's truly thinning...LOL)
-Skin feels a little dry
-Notice that if I get a scrape/cut, blister due to new shoes etc. the healing process takes longer etc.
-Memory feels a little fuzzy.
-Bloating

I'm 39 years old and don't like this at all! Has anyone else experienced these symptoms and if so, what have you done to try and lessen the symptoms. Don't get me wrong, some days I feel FANTASTIC, but then some symptoms occur and it becomes depressing.

If you can recommend any other vitamin supplements or ANYTHING. I would appreciate it.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU! xoxo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Re: Five Months Post-Op - Body Changes/Questions..

I'm 47 and had a TAH-BSO because of endo cancer. No HRT.

I have muscle aches and tiredness. Hot flashes once in a while. I bit of mental fuzziness too.

I have no words of wisdom, but sure will be watching this post to see if anyone has help for either of us!
Unread 11-06-2009, 02:32 PM

Hi, I had a TAH the end of June, so I'm just past 4 months post-op. I've always heard that hair loss is common (but temporary) after a major surgery. I think it's just a shock to the system. I've had low thyroid problems most of my life (since I was 8 or 9) and so I began having thinning hair in my mid 20's (I'm 41 now). Since I always seem to shed more hair than the "normal" person, I can't attest to whether the surgery made me lose more, but I definitely have had mostly bad hair days since this last surgery (I also had a myomectomy in 1998). With the low thyroid, I also normally have muscle aches/tenderness, and so I'm not the best person to answer that either really. The bloating (and swelly belly) I definitely have had since the surgery. I've had some problems with major constipation (really bad about 2 weeks post-op) since this surgery and getting the bowels moving seems to help the bloating. I have found that eating Activia yogurt really helps keep me regular. And just the last week or 10 days I've began taking Liquid Life (sort of a fruit juice/vitamin supplement I got from Sam's Club). I can't say for sure but I do believe that is keeping me more regular than I've ever been. You only take an ounce a day (and it tastes good -yay!). It doesn't cause gas or upset stomach in any way, just seems to make me go more often, about every day, sometimes twice, and that's unheard of for me! I am hoping that the supplement will also help with my thinning hair since it has 100% recommend daily allowance of biotin and folic acid that women need. Don't know if my post will help either of you but maybe it will. I'll be watching to see tips from others too. Take care!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2009, 02:38 PM

I don't really have anything helpful to add but wanted to say that I too noticed the hair loss after my surgery. It just recently has slowed down to what I think is normal. I also have really noticed some joint aches that I didn't have before. I chalked it up to being inactive after the surgery but it's been long enough that I don't think that's it anymore. I'm also hypothyroid and on meds but hadn't experienced hair loss or joint pain until a couple months after the surgery. I'm taking calcium, a multi-vitamin, a B complex, flax seed oil and Vit e everyday. I feel pretty darn good overall but the joint pain is really annoying. I'm only using Estrace vaginal cream but I wonder if HRT would help.
Unread 11-06-2009, 02:57 PM

Catarina I'm glad you haven't had to deal with the muslce & joint aches & pains with the low thyroid, and the hair loss. They can't seem to get my med's right, the level I feel "good" on is too much they say. I had felt some better on the "brand" name med's but now insurance has quit paying for that and I'm back on generic, which makes me feel rough for months at a time. I'm hoping the Liquid Life supplement will give me a boost in several ways. We'll see. You're right, the joint aches and all are enough to drive a person insane sometimes! Hope you feel better soon!
Unread 11-07-2009, 08:39 PM

Hi There

I did read in an article on the Relationship of Hysterectomy to Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia Syndromes. The website is on GYNO.com. It stated that "While most women undergoing removal of the ovaries before natural menopause receive estrogen replacement, not all of them do. Additional women may be on estrogen replacement but not receiving a high enough dose or may not be absorbing the full dose they are receiving. Therefore, they may have some estrogen deficiency symptoms. While we think of menopause as mostly hot flashes, menopause causes other symptoms that can be mistaken for CFS or FMS. Fatigue, insomnia, bone and joint pains, paresthesias (areas of tingling or numbness), headaches and dizziness are also symptoms described by many menopausal women (11 , 12). You can see how some of these are the same and might result in an incorrect diagnosis of CFS or FMS when in fact, the main problem is estrogen deficiency." So this tells me that although we may be taking the right kind of HRT at the right dose, our bodies might not be absorbing all of it. I am going to be asking my doctor if the patch and not oral would be more effective for me. I will let you know what he said."
Unread 11-09-2009, 07:57 AM

Good point. Since you mentioned fibromyalgia, there is an increased risk of that connected to hypothyroidism I've read. I kept my ovaries but the last 10 years or so I've had alot of muscle aches & pains, low body temp, etc... with my thyroid issues. Others may be having the problems due to estrogen. When you have low body temperature, you feel just like you have a raised temperature. Even one or two degrees makes your skin sore to the touch all over just like you're running a fever. Usually when I first am coming down with the flu or something, I don't even know it because I feel that way so often. I've been to the doctor a number of times and they couldn't believe I didn't know I was running a fever, but when you feel that way so often, it's just feels normal to you. It's amazing how crappy it makes you feel just being a little "off" one way or the other with hormones, etc... I wish my husband could experience how I feel since he thinks he's such an expert on how I SHOULD feel (according to him of course).
Unread 11-09-2009, 09:24 AM

Hi,
I have also been experiencing the muscle and joint aches and pains as well as skin sensitivity. I had a hysterectomy a little over a year ago. I kept one ovary and my cervix. I am now also experiencing some spotting, mild back aches and painful intercourse. Has anyone else experienced this?
I have also been concerned about fibromyalgia. In all the reading I've done, I don't remember reading that low estrogen levels can mimic the symptoms of fibromyalgia. I've had symptoms for several years but I've also had only one functioning ovary so it makes sense that between my age (51) and my ovaries I produce less estrogen. I will definitely be discussing this with my doctor.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register