Scheduled TAH Timing Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Timing Questions Timing Questions

Unread 11-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Timing Questions

I have just been scheduled for a TAH on December 18th. I'm really not that nervous or anxious about the surgery (at least not yet). I'm looking forward to the relief of getting rid of a 10 cm fibroid. However I do have two big concerns.
1. My surgery is only a week before Christmas. Am I nuts for agreeing to do add more stress to an already stressed out time for me and my family? (I have a very supportive husband and a son and daughter who will be home from college and two high school age daughters that will be out of school for two weeks following the surgery. All but one drive.) We have already met our very large deductible, so getting the surgery in before 2010 will save us a considerable amount of $. And I want to be able to attend my oldest daughter's graduation from Physical Therapy school in Philadelphia (I live in Southern Oregon) on February 13. Which leads to my next concern.....
2. Will I be healed enough in 8 weeks to fly from Portland, OR to Philadelphia?? We've had tickets purchased since May. The only other date choice the doctor gave me for 2009 was December 29 and that would only allow me 6 weeks healing time. I really do not want to wait until after my daughter graduates, but if I had to, so that I could attend her graduation, I would deal with the fibroid a few extra months.
I would appreciate any feedback and ideas you ladies have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Re: Timing Questions

I would say that having the surgery when you have all your family around and not in school would be a benefit to you because you will want all the help you can get with household chores and running errands etc and you dont want to have to worry about everyone being gone at school or work and needing something. That is just my opinon though.

On the second question, my mother wanted me to go visit her before I went back to work because we live 1200 miles apart and havent seen each other in almost 2 years because we both work a lot of hours and havent had time for a vacation and I asked my doctor if I could go, he told me that as long as it was past the 4 week point and I had no problems come up prior to the flight but I had to remember the weight restrictions and have someone drop my bag off at the counter and take it off at the luggage area for me. I didnt end up going because my mother decided to come up here next month to see me and the kids at the same time.

Ask your doctor about his/her policy on flying because everyone is different but I would think that 8 weeks is long enough to be able to fly somewhere.

I also wanted to welcome you to this site, it is extremely helpful before and after surgery!
Unread 11-14-2009, 11:35 AM

I agree with Hannie, bj. Having your family around when you have the surgery and for your recovery will be very helpful. And while the holidays can be stressful, this might be a good way for you to reduce the stress by not being able to run around so much and/or going to so many gatherings. Your recovery might be just the excuse that you need to have a quiet holiday season!

As for traveling, if your recovery goes well and you heal alright, flying at 8 weeks should be fine. I had my TAH 7 weeks before my vacation, and I was very careful not to overdo it during my recovery. I didn't want anything to interfere with my trip! But then just 4 weeks after my surgery, I had a chance to travel with my husband for business to the West Coast, and my doc okayed it b/c I was healing so well. He just wanted me to walk during the flight a bit and drink lots of water--good advice for anytime one travels.

Good luck and don't worry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2009, 02:14 PM

Hi
I think it would be wonderful you would have all the extra help (wrapping lifting cooking) for the holidays.
We are also going for the holidays (four weeks) Dr said it was ok as long as someone carried my bags for me.
We also had a high deductible I was glad to get it done this year. Talk to your Dr that is always the best idea.
Deb
Unread 11-15-2009, 10:12 AM

I had my surgery (TAH) 3 days before Christmas last year. Came home Christmas Eve morning. I had my hubby and 3 teen daughters home for the first 2 weeks of my recovery due to Christmas break. Just make sure all your shopping and wrapping is done. I made sure everything was here for fixing Christmas dinner. All I had to do was sit, watch, unwrap presents and eat. My hubby and girls did a great job taking care of me and the holiday stuff.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register