Anyone on a estrogen patch? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone on a estrogen patch? Anyone on a estrogen patch?

Unread 11-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Anyone on a estrogen patch?

Just curious as to who is on a patch and what type? Is it safe? Does it worry you about breast cancer? Does it help with mood swings and hot flashes?
I am on Climara and have only had it for 10 days now.
-Leigh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Re: Anyone on a estrogen patch?

Leigh,

I am not on the estrogen patch (I am on Premarin) but if you goto forums/hormone menopausal central you will find the top forum all about hormones after your hysterectomy. If you do not find anything there then just do a search on here for Climara. I bet you will find your answer pretty quickly.

Good luck.
Unread 11-17-2009, 02:51 PM

I'm on Vivelle patch. I think it's great. No more hot flashes! I like it better than having to remember to take a pill. I kept forgetting, so this works much better for me.

TAH 5/19/09 Fibroids
kept ovaries but they did not wake up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2009, 04:28 PM

I am on Vivelle patch. I had some major crying spells and hot flashes 2 weeks post op, but I got bumped up to wearing 2 patches, hot flashes down to 2-3 a day, and hardly any tears! I'm in favor of estrogen, b/c I don't want to be slammed into menopause, and the patch I like better, b/c pills, it has to go through yourliver first, and this is direct. My doc told me yesterday, it'll take a good 3 months to get it leveld off, and then I won't even give it a second thought!
And women need estrogen for seratonin levels, so we don't get depressed!
Unread 11-18-2009, 12:05 AM

Thanks for the input ladies. Now I have a better question: Are you experiencing any ITCHING from the patch? I started itching yesterday all over my stomach and the my back and now the back of my legs. So I did a search on here and low and behold I saw ALOT of posts on this subject. However they're all old and I can not reply. So my biggest question is: is this from not enough estrogen in the body? Or is it a reaction to the adhesive? Any thoughts? I personally think it's the lack of estrogen because my patch was literally barely hanging on (Not sticking) so I think it wasn't able to give me the strength I need. I just put on a new patch and we'll see if the itching goes away. I will update.

Unread 11-19-2009, 12:27 PM

The only itching I had and still have from time to time was from th hydrocodone I was taking for pain. Now I have to take Ultram for leg pain and I itch every once in a while. I didn't notice any difference with or without the patch though. If you're sensitive to it, you'll know soon enough.
Unread 11-19-2009, 02:15 PM

I was on the patch for a month or so, and while most people seem to do well with it, my body absorbed the estrogen way too fast, giving me splitting headaches. They also gave me welts in the places I affixed the patch, so I seemed to have some adverse reactions to it.

Again, most people seem to do well with them, but I guess I'm one of those who didn't. I'm now on low dose Estrodial tablets, and doing much, much better.
Unread 11-19-2009, 02:55 PM

well I know it's not from any drugs because I stopped taking drugs about 3 days ago. I talked to my surgeon and she is going to try me on the vivelle-dot so we'll see if it works. If not I'll do what wyntersnow did and get on the pill. Hell, I have to take other pills everyday, why not estrogen too?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register