Endometrial hyperplasia -- EIN? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endometrial hyperplasia -- EIN? Endometrial hyperplasia -- EIN?

Unread 11-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Endometrial hyperplasia -- EIN?

I just got a copy of my pathology report from my first endo biopsy in June. It says "complex endometrial hyperplasia without atypia (EIN)"

I didn't know what EIN was, so I googled and it looks like it could be a term from a newer diagnostic criteria that doesn't seem to be much in use yet. The EIN would mean Endometrial intraepithelial neoplasia, which apparently is pre-malignant. This new diagnostic criteria does not differentiate between atypia and non-atypia, and it is claimed it is more reliable in predicting progression to cancer (supposedly the presence of EIN indicates a 45-fold increase in the risk of cancer, regardless of atypia).

Does anyone know anything about this? I don't know if the "(EIN)" on my path report means that I have endometrial intraepithelial neoplasia -- and I don't understand why the EIN is in parentheses on the report. I have since had another biopsy and am waiting for that path report (although from a different hospital). I have another one scheduled next month, and I will ask my doctor about this at that time, but in the meantime, I'm kinda freaked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2009, 07:33 AM
Re: Endometrial hyperplasia -- EIN?

I don't have an answer for you, but wanted to bump up your post in case someone else does.

Can you call the doc that performed the biopsy and ask?

in the meantime, please remember to breathe! the internet is a great resource (esp this site!) but it can also make a sane and healthy person into a hypochondriac.
Unread 11-19-2009, 07:54 AM
Re: Endometrial hyperplasia -- EIN?

Thanks Onken -- I know I've caused myself a lot of anxiety by researching on the internet, but I can't seem to stop myself!

I had some issues with the original dr who performed the biopsy (for example, my initial results were that everything was fine, then he called me the next day to say his office made a mistake and I actually had pre-cancer -- and this is a top 3 hospital in the U.S.), so I kind of swore off talking to him and found a new dr. I don't know if his office ever sent the actual path report to my new dr, so I'm going to bring it to her next month. She is actually affiliated with the hospital that developed this new EIN classification, so she should have some answers. In the meantime, I should keep myself away from the internet!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register