Shouldn't have watched videos-dont' think I can do this with the change in type | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Shouldn't have watched videos-dont' think I can do this with the change in type Shouldn't have watched videos-dont' think I can do this with the change in type

Unread 11-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Shouldn't have watched videos-dont' think I can do this with the change in type

I just went and watched a video on the LSH procedure and the SAH procedure.

I don't think I can go through with this if they change me to SAH. I realize that there is always that possibity while you are on the table that you could be changed, but I don't know if I can go into it knowing that that is what they will be doing.

I was all set and actually pretty excited about getting this done when I was scheduled for an LSH. Now that they are talking about changing it to an SAH due to the difficulty of getting the instruments for the LSH, I don't know what to do.

I don't want to wait any longer. I've been crying on and off all afternoon since the doc called not knowing what to do.

The scars don't bother me at all. But the video freaked me right out.

I asked all my questions based no the LSH procedure and now my doc is out of town until my surgery date and I have a ton more questions about the SAH procedure.

My DH says to cancel, but if I cancel it means probably waiting until this time NEXT year before I can do it cause of work and other issues. I can't live like this for another year. I had my heart so set on this being done and feeling good again.

What would you do? What should I do? HELP!!! Freakin out here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Re: Shouldn't have watched videos-dont' think I can do this with the change in type

Oh, fishfinder

It can be so hard to face a hysterectomy anyway, and having some like this thrown at you can feel overwhelming.

What did you see in the video that you found especially upsetting? Although I'm fascinated by surgery videos, I waited until after my surgery to see what had been done. Just remember that you will be unconscious during the surgery and will not have any knowledge of what was actually done. So, you can wake up and decide to believe that your surgery was done differently if you like!

I'm sending you big and hope you're able to make a decision you can be comfortable with.
Unread 11-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Re: Shouldn't have watched videos-dont' think I can do this with the change in type

Bless your heart! I can't help with your decision, other than to say don't worry about what the videos look like. To the average person, this is going to be downright terrifying. The doctors know their job. To us, it's life changing. To them, it's Tuesday.

Now, what I can offer is my anesthesia experience. I remember being wheeled into the operating room by a very warm and funny nurse. I remember the anesthesiologist injecting something into my IV, and I asked, 'Oh, is that the happy stuff?' My next direct memory is a nurse in recovery asking me a question. I do -not- remember falling asleep or waking up even. Everything in between is a void.

Whatever you decide, big hugs for you. It will work out fine in the end, and you have the support of all of us. Be well, and good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-21-2009, 06:53 AM

Big hugs to you. The unknown can be scary, no doubt. I went through periods of outright panic, and what got me through was deep, slow breathing. No kidding, everyone says breathe, and it almost sounds too easy, but when I concentrated, there was no room for fear. It really worked.

Your DH sounds very supportive. I wish you all the best with your decision, and the final outcome.

Zeussy
----
TAH 11/2/09
Unread 11-21-2009, 08:32 AM

My gosh, I can completely understand how you must be feeling. I never had the option of anything but a TAH but I knew that catching even a glimpse of what the procedure would look like would've stopped me in my tracks. I usually love watching that stuff but not when I was already worrying about every aspect of the surgery. I don't want to downplay the seriousness of the surgery but I can tell you that the result was nothing like I expected. I had a very smooth surgery and recovery and the incision (vertical) has healed beautifully. I hope that whatever you decide to do, you feel comfortable with the decision. (((HUGS)))
Unread 11-21-2009, 08:41 AM

My MIL says to go ahead with it, DH wants me to cancel. I'm absolutely petrified of the idea of SAH, compared to LSH which I was completely comfortable with. But, after the cramps, back pain, blood clots and everything else last night, I thought about having to deal with that for another year and decided that no matter what, I am having this done as scheduled.

I guess if they can't get the instrument, I will have the SAH. Let's hope that they can get it in time and I can have the LSH as planned, but regardless, I'm not waiting any longer.

Wish me luck! Thanks for all the support on this site. I found this about a week before my appointment to schedule and it has been absolutely wonderful.
Unread 11-21-2009, 10:44 AM

fishfinder -

Is there any option to talk to your Dr. about having the proceure done elsewhere so it can be an LSH? Just a thought.

You need to be absolutely comfortable with this because the stress can affect your recovery.

big

G.
Unread 11-21-2009, 12:16 PM

If anything, just think about how bad the problem must be if our doctors are willing to put us through that. Any surgery is a big deal but if the end result is significant improvement to quality of life, I say go for it. Yes, it will hurt. But if you do not have the surgery will you still hurt? Will your quality of life be better after the healing takes place.
Unread 11-21-2009, 06:44 PM

I saw ONEpicture and nearly fainted.

I can't imagine having watched a video of it.

One of the guys I work with said something to me that made sense. I do payroll at my worksite. I could do payroll in my sleep because I really know my job. I really know how to do our payroll and it's safe to say I'm an expert at it.

My coworker pointed out that my doctor probably feels the same way about HIS job.

While being a surgeon is more important than doing payroll, the premise is the same. He/she has done this MULTIPLE times. They know what they are doing. Us not being doctors freak out.....much like my co-workers freaked out when I showed them how to do my work while I am out. To me - it was easy. To them - it was complex.

Try not to watch anymore videos. I don't think you'll regret the surgery.

Hugs,
Ali
Unread 11-21-2009, 07:40 PM

I know the video probably looked scary, but you won't see a thing when you are in surgery Really--I had a TAH almost 8 weeks ago. I won't say that it was easy, but looking back, I am so glad that I did it. I still have pain and get tired, but the truth is, aside from that, I feel so much better than I did before the surgery. In fact, before the surgery, I ddin't even realize how bad I felt. Thousands and thousands of women are better because of this surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register