How did you decide to keep your ovaries? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How did you decide to keep your ovaries? How did you decide to keep your ovaries?

Unread 11-20-2009, 09:15 PM
How did you decide to keep your ovaries?

I keep struggling over this issue. I am 44, and go in for an abdominal hysterectomy on December 14, due to huge fibroids. I can't decide if I should keep my ovaries.

I don't have endometriosis. I don't have bad PMS.

I'm leaning toward keeping them, with the hopes that I don't go into menopause for many years. The doctor prefers they come out; the only reason he sites is that it will take away my chances of having ovarian cancer.

Any thoughts? Pros and cons?

Thanks! Oh, and this is my first post. I apologize for not knowing all the acronyms, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-21-2009, 02:20 AM
Re: How did you decide to keep your ovaries?

I had a TAH on nov 5th and changed my mind about keeping my ovaries and my surgeon was only told as I was being wheeled into theatre,he asked if he could take them if they were diseased but they were fine so I kept them. I am 50 and I did some research and found that there are still benefits at my age and beyond from keeping them and if their is no family history of ovarian cancer we have more chance of getting heart disease. Hope this helps a bit, best wishes for your surgery love shellyxxxxxxxxxx
Unread 11-21-2009, 02:06 PM

I am 37, and had my dVH/RALH on Nov.9. I had 1 ovary removed in 2006, and Dr. said I should have everything taken during my hysterectomy. I said ok, she is the Dr, so I thought she was right.

I was supposed to have had my surgery on Oct.5, but was cancelled due to a temperature in pre-op, so I had another agonizing(sp) month, to think, worry, and wonder.

I met with my doctor 2 times, to ask numerous questions, and she was even my second opinion, actually I was scheduled for a hysterectomy in November 2008, but cancelled, it was not the right time.

I did research on my own, asked lots of questions, posted a few on here, and I finally said to my doctor 4 days before surgery, on Nov.5. I told her if it looks healthy, I want to keep it. I did not want to feel like I was playing God, I did not want it to be my decision. So, I prayed to God that he take this burden from me, and he did, I felt at peace with it not being my decision. I said, "it will be a surprise," and it was, it was the first thing I asked when I came to, in the recovery room.

I have no regrets, I know I did the right thing for me, ultimately it is your decision. Even if I have to go back to the OR, and have it removed later, I still have it, and all of it's benefits, even if it's not forever.

I hope I was able to shed a little light for you, if not there will be more replys soon, and alot of different opinions. Good luck, and God bless.

PS. If I wouldn't have gotten cancelled in Oct, I wouldn't have my ovary, (and all of it's benefits). God didn't think it was a good day for my surgery, he wanted me to keep my ovary, I truelly believe that.
I was so much more prepared both mentally, and emotionally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-21-2009, 03:39 PM

Hi december14

I had just turned 44 when I had my surgery. My doctors and I agreed that healthy ovaries should stay with the woman. I am not at high risk for ovarian cancer, and I have never had ovary-related problems. Even after menopause, the ovaries produce small amounts of hormones, and I wanted to go through natural menopause if possible.

I did agree that if the doctor saw anything suspicious during the surgery, he could remove them.

Perhaps you could ask your doctor for more information about the pros and cons of keeping the ovaries based on your own medical history.

I'm glad you found us here, so we can share our experiences with you as you prepare for your surgery!

Unread 11-21-2009, 03:46 PM

I had a TVH on Oct 21 and kept both ovaries. The doctor wanted me to keep mine because I am only 29 and he didnt want to have to keep chasing me with hormone therapy for years. Even though I did keep them both I am still having menopausal symptoms, but I have been told that they will wake back up and work again.
Unread 11-21-2009, 05:10 PM

I am 45 and had my DaVinci assisted Lap Hysterectomy on September 25. It was a huge decision whether or not to keep the ovaries. I had breast cancer at 37, and we have the BRACA2 gene throughout my maternal side of the family. I tested negative for the gene...and retested in disbelief. My gyn/oncologist felt I should keep my ovaries. He believed I'd be miserable in instant menopause - and may not be eligible for hormone replacement due to the breast cancer history.

So as many here, I said if they look healthy - keep them. He removed the tubes, cervix and uterus. Ovaries stayed.
Now 8 weeks later - I'm still not producing much estrogen. I have a lot of body pain and insomnia - feel anxious a lot as well. I'm looking forward to having some hormones on board again. Hopefully I'll have a better sense of well-being then.

So I guess I'll always wonder if I did the right thing, but this was my gut instinct - and my doctor's opinion... hope it was right!
Unread 11-21-2009, 05:35 PM

I'm 38 years old and didn't want to be forced into a surgical menopause. My doctor ended up taking one ovary due to a large cyst engulfing it but left me with the other one. I'm having some issues while waiting for the one ovary to level out but I don't think I'll need any HRT. You are only 44 - if there is no history of ovarian cancer in your family I would lean towards keeping them. Try to keep things as natural as possible!!!!
Unread 11-21-2009, 07:40 PM

I was 49 and not really into menopause except via a shot of Lupron. I, too, did not know what to do. Asked my nurse practitioner, who used to work for my GYN, and we talked about the women's health study done many years ago (results of which were flawed), and how the ovaries DO keep doing something for overall health even after menopause. She suggested that I have my GYN, who I completely trust, decide based on how they looked. Well, they looked great - I even have pictures of them - so they stayed. Now I am 52, going through menopause (I feel I do cycle about 2 times a year - so not officially menopause) and have had NO trouble at all. No hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia...nothing. Needless to say, I am happy with my decision.
Kim
LSH 6/2007
Unread 11-21-2009, 08:56 PM

I'm 43 yrs old. Had a TVH on Nov 17th and kept both ovaries. didn't want to go into menopause/take estrogen pills.( also strongly recommmended by my doctor) The doctor said my ovaries looked healthy therefore, I'm happy with the decision I've made.
Unread 11-22-2009, 07:13 PM

I had an TVH on Nov. 2, 2009--also bladder repair. I was told it was my decision as to whether I kept my ovaries or not. I am 60, post menopause and have been for about 11yrs, so not really in need of the ovaries I thought. However when the surgeon said it was up to me. I did a computer search, linked up with Hyster Sisters, and then to Web MD and an article about a long term study as to whether they should or shouldn't come out. The article states that it puts you at a higher risk for heart disease and a number of other things and that you still have a number of benefits, even post menopause.

I am a diabetic so I am more prone to heart disease and I have a history of heart disease in my immediate family, but no ovarian cancer to my knowledge and I even called my second cousin to check with that generation. So, I elected to keep them. Of course after I decided, my Doctors all advised against keeping them. I can only trust God that I have made the right decision.

One of my best friends is an OB GYN nurse and asked a couple of her assiociates at the same time and one was for and one was against.

My surgeon said if they didn't look good, they would come out and I agreed to that. He said they looked small and I guess that's a good thing.

I am encouraged to see other women also made that decision

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register