Returning to work at 3 weeks ~ is this realistic? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Returning to work at 3 weeks ~ is this realistic? Returning to work at 3 weeks ~ is this realistic?

Unread 11-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Returning to work at 3 weeks ~ is this realistic?

I had abdominal hysterectomy Nov. 9. I just found this site today. I am still in pain and bored stiff, starting to feel depressed out it all now. My 2 weeks post op is tomorrow and will be glad to leave the house finally. I was hoping to go back to work on Nov. 30 (3 weeks post-op). I am a kindergarten teacher. Is this realistic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Re: Returning to work at 3 weeks ~ is this realistic?

valpal2

We're very glad you've found us and hope you'll enjoy the wealth of information and support here!

A hysterectomy (especially abdominal) is major surgery with the initial and vital healing taking approximately 6 weeks, during which time complete rest is usually advised; full recovery can then be anywhere from 3 months to a year. Do you have a check-up with your doctor soon? You should have his/her clearance before returning to work.

Have you found our <link> Post-Op Page yet? It's packed with information for your recovery. Please think about the situation very carefully since you've only this one chance to heal properly.

Sending all good wishes as you continue to heal!

Unread 11-23-2009, 10:20 PM

They say everyone heals differently. I had a TAH/RSO 9/25. My boss wanted me back at 4 weeks - before the surgery doctor said that 4 weeks might be possible since I have a desk job (paralegal). However, I didn't feel well enough to go back until 6 weeks and regretted the decision instantly. Sitting at my desk made me very uncomfortable and sore. I ended up doing a few half days so I could go home and rest. My advice is to take it easy and ease back into work if you can. I feel going back too soon has lengthened my recovery. I am 8 weeks out and am just now starting to feel better each day. Trying to sleep at night is a different story...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2009, 07:37 AM

I am 3 weeks post op with severe endo, cautery and ahesions with a total hyster. and I cannot imagine going to work. I pushed a cart around Walmart yesterday and basically had to go to bed for the night after that...

Please be cautious because once you start back most bosses won't let you take off again.
Unread 11-24-2009, 08:44 AM

Dear Valpal2:

I had a complete hyst. (LAVH) on 7/20/09; and although it was not an abdominal hyst. I was still "very sore." However, I "had" to go back to work after 3 wks. I am also in the childcare business; and although I work with older children (no lifting...whew!) I truly regret having done so-looking back though, I really had no choice! But...if you have a choice I "highly" recommend waiting a couple more weeks.

At first, I felt fine, and as the days went on, my soreness got worse and I was SOOOOOOOOOOOO tired, it was unreal...like all the other ladies here have posted: we all heal differently-but we do only get "one" chance to heal!

Good luck!
Unread 11-24-2009, 09:57 AM

Hi there. I had a TAH on Nov. 9th, and even though I have a desk job there is no way on earth I would go back to work next Monday (my 3 week date). Well, I guess I would if I were going to get fired and find myself unemployed in this current economic climate, but even then, ugh. TAH is a major surgery, and even though you may feel "okay," your body is still healing on the inside, and will be for weeks yet. As everyone says - you only get one chance at a good recovery. I get bored easily too, and believe me, there have been days already I thought I was going to go crazy - and its only been two weeks! However...even though six weeks may sometimes seem like an eternity, in the grand scheme of things, it is a small price to pay for a strong healthy recovering body! Consider it a gift that you can give to yourself. That's the way I'm looking at it anyway. I am not going back to work until Jan. 4th, after the holidays. I don't know how much reading you have done on this site, but read as many of the posts as you can. I feel like I've gained a wealth of experience - much of it what NOT to do - by reading about other women's mistakes. Good luck to you in your recovery!
Unread 11-24-2009, 10:15 AM

Thanks so much. I believe finding this website is what helped me to make the right decision for my health. Thank you for telling me your stories and thanks for the encouragement. I will now stay out 5 full weeks and the 6th week I will go back for 1/2 days only. Since I am a teacher, after that week it will be Christmas holidays so I will be able to be out an additional 2 weeks. Good luck to everyone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register