Realistic Recovery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Realistic Recovery? Realistic Recovery?

Unread 11-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Realistic Recovery?

Hi Ladies,

I'm scheduled for an LAVH on Dec. 4th. I'm very nervous. I am currently working on my thesis to complete my masters degree. After the surgery, can I expect to be able to read/research and write using my laptop? If so, how soon? I just hate the thought of not being able to make progress on my thesis since I'm graduating in May and need the break to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Re: Realistic Recovery?

redbird2009,
Congrats on your studies! Way to go!
Depending on your surgery and recovery, each one of us has had different rates of recovery. My first two weeks I felt I was in a fog most days. I let the dog out one morning and forgot to turn the alarm off. Needless to say I had the security alarm company dispatch a car. I did catch it in about five minutes after they called my cell phone (I did not answer, I did not recognize the number and it went to voice mail). lol After the two weeks I was able to do a little bit of work (I am a bookkeeper, and work from home).
I would not push yourself, but I do see you researching and studying while you are recovering too.
I plan to go back to school to get my second BS, this time it will be in nursing.
Good Luck with your Masters!
Don't forget your tummy pillow when you make your visit to the castle!
Unread 11-27-2009, 10:56 PM

Hi redbird,

I was using my laptop in the hospital the day of surgery. I may have been unusual because I did not need lot of anesthesia because they gave me a epidural also. So if you want to be more mentally alert ask for (or accept if offered) an epidural. I was doing a lot of computer work on the laptop or desk top during recovery. The only thing is that you will need naps as well as a lot of extra sleep. I have done the Masters thing and feel that I could have done this type of work after recovery. So I wouldn't think you would have a problem.

Good luck next week!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2009, 07:24 AM

I have been wondering the same thing. I do some freelance writing, and it's a daily type of thing (about 1 1/2 hours a day). I'm having a dVH in January and am wondering how far ahead I'll need to be in order to keep up.
Unread 11-28-2009, 10:04 AM

Hi redbird2009

I took me two or three weeks to be able to concentrate and think. However, you should be able to do the more mechanical aspects of research--trying different databases, inserting search terms, and finding articles that you can save to read later.

I work in higher education, and I do need to do different kinds of thinking at different times. It was about a month before I could do any challenging reading (and remembering of what I read!), but I did find that after a couple weeks, I could mull over some ideas while my eyes were closed and I could scribble some notes.

I would suggest that you plan on at least two weeks of no thesis progress while you concentrate on healing--and then, start to get back into it gradually. If you have a chance, you might want to sketch out a research plan of sorts, identifying the databases, articles, and writing sections you hope to work on. This may help you ease back into your work after your surgery.

Unread 11-28-2009, 02:29 PM

Thanks ladies! I'm planning to take it very slow. Definitely will not try to do any extensive work for the first couple of weeks. Hopefully by resting for the first two weeks, I'll be in a better position to get started after that. 6 more dyas to go
Unread 11-28-2009, 04:41 PM

I too work in higher education and my experience was similar to Fritzi's. It is hard to really concentrate for the first couple of weeks and it improves very gradually. You could reasonably plan to do some mentally undemanding work (I had marking to do at that stage) in the early weeks. I suggest doing some of your thinking lying down so you don't try to sit up more than your body is ready. Be very disciplined about your recovery - walking, restng, drinking, regular toiletting etc. Don't neglect your body while trying to get your mind into gear.

Good luck with your recovery and your Masters.

J
Unread 11-28-2009, 07:21 PM

I had a really difficult time with thinking the first two weeks, and I couldn't read anything except really light stuff. The other thing is that sitting lets fluids gather in the pelvic area, and that's painful in very early recovery. Can you prop yourself and your laptop up on pillows so that you can be reclining? And not use your abdominal muscles to read or write? I can do that sometimes. Good luck!
Unread 11-28-2009, 08:10 PM

Congrats on the thesis and pending graduation, what an accomplishment for you.
I think I must be having the easiest recovery on record. I was back to work (accounting) part time after a week and am back full time now. I had LAVH on 11/10. You just have to listen to your body and rest when you get tired. I did very little except watch TV during the first week but have been up and running ever since. Best of luck
Unread 11-29-2009, 06:16 AM
Realistic Recovery?

In response to the laptop question - even with the complications, I was clear headed within a couple days. I was updating Facebook from the hospital bed. My level of discomfort going in was so bad that even with all of my incisions I felt better than I had almost immediately.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register