Fear Overload -- Surgery 9/26 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fear Overload -- Surgery 9/26 Fear Overload -- Surgery 9/26

Unread 09-23-2001, 02:00 PM
Fear Overload -- Surgery 9/26

Hi fellow sisters:

I just realized that I don't know at all what to say, yet I feel the need to join you. I guess my thought processes are frozen shut at this point. I don't feel prepared, yet I am happy with my doctor. I met her for the first time on Friday, we are doing the surgery on Wednesday (9/26). I have a mass on my ovary which needs to be removed, and the CA125 test was 'slightly' elevated -- which I heard could mean nothing. I really don't want the option of getting pregnant anymore and I don't mind not having periods, but am I missing other reasons to keep healthy organs? I could also do without this worrisome series of events in the future as well. Well, that felt better getting this off my chest! :-)
BTW, do people start treating you differently? I find that some are really helpful and others are so scared for me they have no words and can't even really look me in the eye. Of course, I'm not sure I was ever such a giver before either -- now that I'm walking the walk, it will be far easier to know what does and what doesn't help people! Thank you for this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2001, 03:12 PM

Hi Hillstreet!

I had a TAH/BSO on 9/20/01. Rest assured, that as the other sisters say, the waiting truely is the hardest part! I don't think you are missing anything in your thought process. For me it was a "quality of life" issue and the problems that I had leading to the TAH were such that I figured my kids are grown, not having anymore, the organs were no longer helping me, but quite the contrary, hurting me. I'm glad the surgery is over. I have one step left and that is the removal of the surgical staples on Tuesday. I wish you the best as you go through your surgery. Take the advice of myself, and other hyster sisters, and get plenty of rest, take care of yourself, get plenty of rest, and drink lots of fluids!!! You'll be ok.

People did not treat me any differently once they found out I was having this surgery. When they find out was ok with it so were they.

Take care and we'll keep you in our prayers for a quick surgery and a speedy recovery!
Unread 09-23-2001, 03:14 PM

Hello and welcome Hillstreet. Pre-op is very scary...and very emotional for everyone. I had cysts on both ovaries (one suspicious looking as the dr. said), fibroid on uterus and had been having trouble with my cervix for several years...hence my tah/bso March 2000. I was terribly scared that the suspicious looking cyst would be cancer...I just couldn't get that out of my head...but it wasn't. I know that probably doesn't calm your fears...but just wanted to let you know I was in your shoes once and can vividly remember how scared I was. My surgery and recovery went smoothly.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Again, welcome to hystersisters...you'll find lots of comfort here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2001, 04:25 PM

Hi Hillstreet Welcome to Hyster Sisters. I'm so happy you found us: it really is a wonderful site where you'll find lots and lots of support and some information you can actually use.

As the others have pointed out, Pre-Op is scary. That's why we say it is the hardest part: our imagination is much more adept at torturing us than the hand of the surgeon.

I didn't find people were treating differently when they found out I was having a hyst. Maybe that's because most of them knew the battle I'd been having for the past 4 years due to the pesky fibroid that was causing tons of bleeding. Some, of course, were extremely worried about the surgery and recovery. They were surprised at how good I felt immediately post-op.

Hang in there, your wait is almost over. Post as often as you want and ask any question you want to ask. We'll be right here with you, every step of the way.

Unread 09-23-2001, 07:10 PM
Register

Hi Hillstreet,
I'll be in your shoes in less than six weeks, but by then you'll be feeling much better. I'd like to suggest that you go back to the Register screen and add your surgery date. The sisters are really good about communicating with the gals who are going to the castle soon. Best wishes, Jan.
Unread 09-23-2001, 10:07 PM

Friend, when you saw me through my own hysterectomy three months ago, who would have known you'd be a lady in waiting soon?

Breathe in, breathe out, and rest assured that you will be fine. People told me I would feel so much better after my hysterectomy, and they were right. And, know what? You will, too! The number one most important thing you can do is to get plenty of rest, as the ladies here will tell you.

And one other thing: let people pamper you! You deserve it!

My prayers are with you now and will be with you especially on Wednesday!

Love,
Jan
Unread 09-30-2001, 08:13 AM
Re: Fear Overload -- Surgery 9/26

Quote:
Originally posted by Hillstreet
Hi fellow sisters:

I just realized that I don't know at all what to say, yet I feel the need to join you. I guess my thought processes are frozen shut at this point. I don't feel prepared, yet I am happy with my doctor. I met her for the first time on Friday, we are doing the surgery on Wednesday (9/26). I have a mass on my ovary which needs to be removed, and the CA125 test was 'slightly' elevated -- which I heard could mean nothing. I really don't want the option of getting pregnant anymore and I don't mind not having periods, but am I missing other reasons to keep healthy organs? I could also do without this worrisome series of events in the future as well. Well, that felt better getting this off my chest! :-)
BTW, do people start treating you differently? I find that some are really helpful and others are so scared for me they have no words and can't even really look me in the eye. Of course, I'm not sure I was ever such a giver before either -- now that I'm walking the walk, it will be far easier to know what does and what doesn't help people! Thank you for this site.

{{Hillstreet}}} I'm also new here .. in fact, this is my first day posting .. but my story is the same as yours, except that my CA125 was perfectly normal. But I have the same fears, especially of ... well of getting the results when I wake up (see? I can't even type 'that word' ..pathetic .. ) I swear if THAT wasn't a worry I wouldn't be nearly so freaked about this surgery, but unfortunately it is ..

Well, I just noticed that you've had your surgery by now! And I really hope for you that your results were NOT bad and that you're already on your way to a speedy recovery!!
Unread 09-30-2001, 12:02 PM

Hi everyone:

I'm back -- surgery Wednesday and home by Friday afternoon.
Good news -- no cancer. Even better news, everything else looked good. So, I'm back without an ovary and a 'large orange-sized mass.' I opted to keep everything else if it looked OK, which it did! The main part of recovery is the vertical, abdominal incision which needs to heal. Oh well, I never could wear a bikini my entire life anyway! I feel a little like a fake here, but I know the road, while not as long as I expected, is not exactly short either. One more thing, how women do C-sections and then get handed a baby is beyond me!!!!! Thank you God for my three vaginal deliveries -- or I may only have had one child! ;-)

I'll try to spend more time here to support you 'ladies in waiting.' The waiting is very hard, but I think an important time of self-exploration. Good luck to everyone!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register