da vinci hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

da vinci hysterectomy da vinci hysterectomy

Unread 12-05-2009, 01:55 PM
da vinci hysterectomy

Hello, I'm going to have a da vinci hysterectomy in January. What should I expect the morning of surgery, and what can I expect after. Thank you for all your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Re: da vinci hysterectomy

Hi

I have not had this type of surgery, but here is a link to members who have and their stories:https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/articlelist_250.htm

Unread 12-07-2009, 08:29 PM

I had a da vinci 3 weeks ago. I think the prep was much like that of other hysterectomies. I had to stop eating midnight before and stop drinking clear liquids 3 hours before going to the hospital.

Once there I was with a pre-op nurse who asked lots of questions and prepped me for surgery. She did shave my pubic area as there was a possibility that the doctor would need to do a bikini cut (but this didn't happen).

I spent one night in the hospital. I had a morphine pump and then went onto vicodin & ibuprophen. I have 5 small incisions -- 2 on each side and one above my belly button. I do have some bruises and I had a blister on my stomach!

Recovery has gone well, but the inside needs just as much time to heal as they do with a traditional hysterectomy. After a couple of days the 5 incisions didn't bother me much at all.

I had surgery about 3 weeks ago. I just learned today that I should stay home for another 3 weeks (i.e., not go to work). That shocked me, but after reading this website, I'm thinking that that isn't too unusual.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2009, 09:39 PM

I had my DaVinci surgery on 9/23 so I will be 11 weeks out. I have to say at one point (I think it was 2 weeks out) I told my doctor (gyn/onc) that I wish he cut me open (TAH) so I knew I had surgery. I thought this surgery was very easy to recoup from (physically).

The morning of my surgery I arrived at the hospital and did all the paperwork stuff and then got changed into a lovely gown. The anesthesia came in and talked to me, I got my IVs then my surgeon came in and talked to me. I had a little bit more prep for the anesthesia group than probably most people due to my weight (I am morbidly obese) and there was a chance they would have intubated with me being wide awake instead in la la land.

I have to say it was the most calm I had been during the whole pre and post op surgery wise was when I was waiting to be taken in for surgery.

BTW, I never had my pubic area shaved and they put the cath in while I was asleep.

Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 12-07-2009, 10:20 PM

Dear ladies, Thank you for all your replies. It is much appreciated.
Unread 12-07-2009, 10:35 PM

had mine 4 weeks ago. Uterus and cervix are gone. The day before I had a liquid diet, took stool softeners to clear out everything (Dr. said it really helps to get the bowels out of the way if they are completely empty). Took a special shower with an antibacterial soap that night and the morning of surgery. Also did a special vaginal cream to make sure everything was sterile. Day of,checked in and went to sleep pretty quickly. Woke up in my room with an i.v. and pump for pain. Used it every few hours while I dozed in and out. Kept the cath. until the next morning and also the special leg compression stockings for possible blood clots. Got a normal breakfast and got on my feet to try to pee and walk the halls. I did have a C-section before and this was much easier. Went home that afternoon, just the day after surgery. Only had anti-inflammatory meds so stayed pretty clear headed. Still taking things slow, giving in to rest when my belly tells me so.
Unread 12-08-2009, 05:18 AM

Thanks for all this info! I am scheduled for a dVH in early January. My mom had a traditional hyst. in the 70s and she is flipping out that I would only be in the hospital ONE night--or even possibly go home "same day." She lives 100 miles away, so I can't bring her to a doctor's appointment. But I will be OK to go home after the just one night, right? I think I would rather recover on my own bed/couch. My husband is taking 2 weeks off work and I know that he will see to it that I don't do anything during those 2 weeks.
Unread 12-08-2009, 06:34 AM

Thank you so much for all your information. You were a wealth of knowledge. I certainly appreciate it.
Unread 12-08-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydogs View Post
had mine 4 weeks ago. Uterus and cervix are gone. The day before I had a liquid diet, took stool softeners to clear out everything (Dr. said it really helps to get the bowels out of the way if they are completely empty). Took a special shower with an antibacterial soap that night and the morning of surgery. Also did a special vaginal cream to make sure everything was sterile. Day of,checked in and went to sleep pretty quickly. Woke up in my room with an i.v. and pump for pain. Used it every few hours while I dozed in and out. Kept the cath. until the next morning and also the special leg compression stockings for possible blood clots. Got a normal breakfast and got on my feet to try to pee and walk the halls. I did have a C-section before and this was much easier. Went home that afternoon, just the day after surgery. Only had anti-inflammatory meds so stayed pretty clear headed. Still taking things slow, giving in to rest when my belly tells me so.
Oh man, I go in for DaVinci tomorrow morning so I am REALLY reassured by your experience with this! Thank you so much for posting this and thank you elfwyman for starting this thread!!!
Unread 12-08-2009, 02:02 PM

Thanks so much for those that have shared their experiences! So you are pretty much back to normal activity within 2 weeks? And also how swollen are you in the weeks after dVh? What did you all find helpful in having around for recovery?

Thanks!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register