could I have it? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

could I have it? could I have it?

Unread 09-24-2001, 01:15 PM
could I have it?

I was suppose to have LATVH/BSO on the 20th, but fired my Dr. 2 days before. I have new appt. with another Dr. on Oct 11. My hysterectomy was being done because of a lot of pain, terrible bleeding and yrs. of being on the pill, even though had tubes tied about 17 yrs. ago. Anyways, I never discussed all my problems with the Dr. (only had two visits with this Dr.) because he said do hysterectomy right away and that's what I wanted. I have had constipation for about 10 months now. Within the past 3-4 months I have had a lot of nausea, almost like morning sickness, even the thought of some foods make me feel queezy. And a lot of very painful gas. The first time I had the gas so bad it was on my left side, I thought I was having a heart attack. Also a lot more backaches then remember having before. I know from researching the internet that these are symptoms of ovarian cancer. I also know that since I have had 2 children and have been on the pill so many yrs. that this reduces my chances. I guess I just need to know what someone else thinks. My husband says, stop looking for things to be wrong, but I think if you are educated you can cope better. Any insights out there? thanks, dabadoo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2001, 01:42 PM
could I have it?

Hi dabadoo!!

Although the symptoms you describe can be associated with ovarian cancer, they could also be for a multitude of other reasons as well I would think.
I had ovarian cancer but I have suffered constipation practically my entire life, and I didn't have any back pain or stomach pain up until the weekend I actually took sick, and knew something was very wrong. I didn't have any nausea with my symptoms at all.

In hindsight, I know that I would get twinges of pain in my groin area off and on for several months prior to being diagnosed, which I passed off as little aches. I no longer have those so I assume they were related. But I am sure regular cysts would have alot of the same symptoms.

I would think if your doctor suspected cancer he would suggest an ultrasound and or CT scan as part of your testing prior to surgery. Have you asked about these tests at all?

I know its very hard not to worry, but from what I know, they often have a very good idea of what they are going to find before surgery with the help of the ultrasound and CT scan.

Has your doctor mentioned cancer to you at all? If not, and you have faith in him, then you should try not to worry too much. I agree about if you are educated on something its easier to cope, but I also think, at least for me, that just reading about something can cause me to suspect the worst. Thats just me though, and I am not saying that you do that, but I know I had to stop reading about cancer and chemo until I was finished it before I could read about it any further without driving myself crazy with worry.

Best of luck, and please keep us posted!! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers that all will be fine!!
Hugs,
Maria
Unread 09-24-2001, 08:51 PM
could I have it?

Hi dabadoo! Welcome to a great website - the women here are so helpful! And quick to right back!

First of all, I agree about being educated. Here is a great site about Ovarian Cancer, from a premier hospital in the United States Johns Hopkins. www.ovariancancer.jhmi.edu They are not as quick to answer questions there on the boards, but there are a lot of people with experience in ovarian cancer that may be able to answer some of your questions. It also is a great resource for symptoms, FAQ's and what to do next type things.

The tricky thing about Ovarian cancer is that the symptoms "whisper" as they say. I explained ALL of mine away. Of course, very large cysts may have the same symptoms! I too experienced the nausea, cramping, and heart attack-like pain off and on for a month or so before a sought medical attention. It wasn't gas, it was parts of the cyst breaking. I was given a CT Scan (I had had a prior cyst removed found in just a transvaginal ultrasound). Since cancer was suspected, a gyn onc did the actual surgery. This is a much better idea since they are able to stage and clean out everything they possibly can while they are in there. And they are highly trained in what to look for and do.

I agree to an extent to not LOOK for things that are wrong, but no one can explain to your husband how bad that pain on your left side was (only a person that has experienced it can understand how scary it is) So, I suggest that you sit and talk to your doctor more seriously. Do they recommend a CT Scan or a PET Scan? Has a cyst/tumor been found? Did you get an ultrasound? Do they even know what they are looking for or are they just going for the hysterectomy? If they suspect cancer, have they done a CA-125 blood test? Can you feel a hard lump on your left side? Can you comfortably lay on your somach and not feel something there? I have been through all of this, and I had no idea what I was up against until I started researching and asking questions. Trust me, if you are better educated in the area, you will get better treatment because you are able to ask the right questions. Keep us posted on how things go, feel free to email me if you would like. Good luck!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2001, 05:46 AM
could I have it?

I think that the best thing you can do is speak to your new doctor and tell him your concerns. You will want to have a close relationship to this doctor, and hopefully you will find him very helpful. Get as much info as you can and never hesitate to ask questions...even if you think they are stupid! No question is stupid!! Best of luck to you!!
Unread 09-25-2001, 08:30 AM
Hi!

Maybe it would be better not to think the worst until you have more testing done. Have they done a biopsy on you at all? Have you had an ultrasound? Hysteroscopy? Usually your doctor will discuss possibilities with you if he suspects something this bad. You said you fired your Dr. Have you found a new Dr. and gone yet? My suggestion would be to get to a good Dr. and be checked out thoroughly before you start letting your imagination run away with you. I know it's not easy, but I think it would be better for your emotional well-being. It is the unknown that you are fearing, so I think you need to find out from a Dr. what is going on?

:eagle:

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!
Unread 09-25-2001, 01:23 PM
could I have it?

Thanks ladies, for all your input. Yeah, I know not to think the worst. And really I'm not cause I know these symptoms could describe a lot of illnesses. I guess I just feel a little lost since I am starting this hysterectomy process with Dr's I don't have a history with. I have only seen a general physician since we moved to Colorado 7 yrs. ago. He had an ultrasound done on me 16 months ago cause he thought my uterus was very enlarged. It came back as normal. Then in June of this year went to same office, saw a different Dr. and she said, "I think you have a tumor, your uterus is very enlarged." Proceeded to explain the previous year and she said, "Oh well, they can see it and I can't." So I went back a few weeks later and saw first Dr. and said send me to gyno. And he did, and gyno said , "I agree with other 2 Dr's, lets take it out. He turned out to be a jerk. So now I go to a different gyno. on the 11th. I only hope that this Dr. will let me explain everything. You know how some Dr's make you feel like they really don't care what you're saying. thanks for listening, dabadoo
Unread 09-25-2001, 04:43 PM
Dabadoo,

I know what you mean about some docs not seeming to care what we have to say. I really relate to that. Before this gyn I went to one who was that way and it drove me crazy..a woman, but she was such a jerk! I didn't stick with her for very long. I guess all you can do is communicate the best you can and be sure he/she gives you some answers before you leave the office because you need some peace of mind.

Unread 09-26-2001, 06:50 AM
could I have it?

Hi Dabadoo,

I'm so glad you've gotten a appt with this new Dr. I know its hard to go through the waiting stage again but its much more important to feel comfortable with the physician/surgeon you have.

Hopefully this new Dr will be able to shed some further light on whats happening and give you more specific answers. You might want to ask about some of the tests the gals have mentioned, see if they might be something this Dr might want to check into.

I wish you the best on your upcoming visit. Please let us know how it goes.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 09-27-2001, 03:30 PM
could I have it?

Dabadoo,
I agree that you should educate yourself and find a doctor you can communicate with and in whom you can trust. That's critical to your medical care, no matter what it is you're dealing with. I, too, have had to see a number of doctors because many of them were jerks (see my post on the Pre-Op Forum).
But you can get overwhelmed with all of the information. Take some breaks from your research and visit with the women here. Read or see something funny. We are all dealing with very serious medical issues. The only way to get through it sometimes is with a sense of humor. That's why I like the whole Hyster Sister concept, with crowns and affirmations about chocolate!
There is a list of questions you can ask your doctor on the main page of this site. Look under the Pre-Op menu there.
Good luck. And let us know what happens.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register