Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Dec 14-Dec 20,2009 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Dec 14-Dec 20,2009 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Dec 14-Dec 20,2009

Unread 12-14-2009, 05:00 AM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Dec 14-Dec 20,2009

If your hysterectomy was between Dec 14-Dec 20,2009 this is the place to post your progress during your hysterectomy recovery.

If you have a question about your recovery, please start a new thread to receive answers and support for your concerns instead of including the question in your update! There is information on how to start a new thread in this link: New Here? or you can use this link: Post a New Topic in the Post-Op forum.

Post how you are doing here when you are home and well enough to sit a few minutes at your computer.

We hope you are recovering well with plenty of rest and water and a bit of walking. Don't forget to pamper the princess!

How to use the Recovery Progress Reports thread:

• 1. This thread is for the purpose of sharing updates on your recovery as you heal from your hysterectomy.

• 2. Generally, ONE or TWO posts on this thread per member/per day is adequate to share your daily progress and to share encouragement with your surgery week Sisters.

• 3. Remember to start a new thread on the Post-Op message board to ask your questions.

• 4. The Progress Report threads will be moved at approximately 8 weeks post-op to the Date Club forum inside the HysterSisters clubhouse.

• 5. Remember all the love and support you got here as a pre-op member? Now it's YOUR turn to give back to the women in the Pre-Op Hysterectomy Support forum. Extend your hand and your hugs in replies to our pre-op ladies in waiting. This will complete our circle of women helping women!

• 6. You can also share support and experiences with post-op members in all phases of recovery in the Post-Op Hysterectomy Support forum by replying on the new threads they create.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Dec 14-Dec 20,2009

Had my LAVH yesterday and home today. Feeling ten times better than I did this time yesterday! I was surprised at the level of pain right after and for about 12 hours following the surgery, but now there doesn't seem to be that much pain. I guess I didn't hear them say that I could push my morphine button every six minutes, so at first I only did it once. Once I found out, I probably was pushing it every six minutes, but then as my pain lessened, I found that dosing myself about every 10 to 15 minutes while I was awake, and every time I woke up, helped a lot. It really did help me rest and get some sleep. My surgery was scheduled for 9:30 but I think it was closer to 10:30 and I was in my room at 1:00. My catheter and packing was removed at 5 am and I was peeing at 9 on my own, so I didn't even walk until this morning. That first time up was shaky, but I've been doing well since. Hope all my sisters are doing as well!
Unread 12-16-2009, 12:17 AM

I had my surgery this morning and I got to keep my overies!!! So excited. The surgery went well and there was a lot of pain for those twelvish hours afterwards. I think I ended up getting two extra shots of pain medication this morning and one this evening and I have been hitting that morphine button as often as possible. Lets see, surgery was at seven am and at nine pm I was supposed to sit on the edge of the bed for a bit but I ended up standing so they could change my bedsheets because I have been spotting. My sleeping patterns are all messed up obviously since I am posting this at midnight. Oh and I have the sweetest most amazing nurses ever. hope everyone else is feeling ok and getting plenty of rest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2009, 06:29 AM

Surgery was Monday and got home last night. Finally slept some last night..but when I woke up I felt like I had been hit by a truck. Must be all the deep breathing and the handling of my body during surgery. Feeling better this am.
Unread 12-16-2009, 10:06 AM

Felt good yesterday when I got home but noticed last night the swelly belly achiness and bloating... took a gas-x that really helped with the bloating...stayed off my feet more last night and that helped....
day two: my lower back and abdomen are achy, but not too bad....still taking my meds every 4 hours and an added dose of ibuprofen this morning for the achiness. My daughter brought my granddaughter down (21 months) to lie in bed with me this morning before she went to daycare...that was really nice. Other than that, I have my laptop, my water, my meds and nibbling on a bagel...what could be better than that?
Unread 12-17-2009, 06:55 AM
Re: Dec. 14th -TAH - returned home last night 7:30pm

I will say that the worry up to the actual surgery was the wosrt part of this procedure. All the "what if's" and "why's" bumping up against each other in my head had me fairly close to a panic at 7:50am when I was getting wheeled towards surgery. I was crying when the doctor came in to speak to me. I don't think he has ever seen me cry before and I'm pretty sure it was as upsetting for him as it was for me.

Day 1: The last coherent thing I remembering saying to the anesthesioligist ( a real nice lady whose name I cannot remember but she was angel) was "Oh, you've just given me the happy juice, haven't you?" I remember being wheeled out the door into the hallway and nothing beyond that until I was in post op. The nurses introduced themselves (again, I don't remember who they are but I think I may have met them before surgery), asked how I was doing, told me *I* was doing well, and that I had kept my ovaries. After that I slept till I got sent to my room.

The rest of the day is a blur. The pain that I expected never arrived, I think at most it was a 6 or 7 (my scale) which puts it up there at about the same level as day 2 menstrual cramps, and the morphine was my friend.

I know my husband stayed with me and I developed an affinity for orange jello--otherwise, I slept.

Day 2: My room mate was a lady who had had a TVH and towards early morning (3am day 2) we were both coherent enough to discuss and compare our surgeries. Turns out both of us don't sleep well in strange places so we spent most of the evening and early morning watching Christmas movies, discussing our families etc. She was given real food at dinner time and I remember the smell of it made me feel ill, but she got ill--OUCH! She was released at 11am, and I had the room to myself the rest of the day. The catheter was removed about 10am. I think it bruised my urethra because the first time I had to go potty it really hurt and my body wouldn't let me go. However a few hours later I went it was a huge relief. After that there were no problems. I did five laps around the nurses station (They called me speedy gonzalez-hah!). Each time I walked I felt better.

No appetite to speak of. I ate some malt-o-meal (could have been cream of wheat) for breakfast, and a bowl full of apricots at lunch. A spoonful or two of mashed potatos and some fruit cocktail for dinner. Nurses gave me Milk of Magnesia and I got to shower--yay! That felt good, just having the hot water pour down my back. I was a bit concerned about the dressing but it was air dried by the time I went back to bed to sleep.

Day3: Day three, and breakfast arrived, I had my appetite back but could hardly eat any of the french toast they gave me. I did manage to eat all the oranges though. Same for lunch, (apple cobbler and ice cream) I'm hungry but a few bites fill me up. I'm released to return home at 12 noon, but my ride isn't available until 7pm. I did six laps before noon, and then my Doctor tells me to slow down. I'd been off morphine most of the morning and was taking motrin. I think I may have overdone it yesterday, I'm a bit more sore then I expected to be this morning. Happy to report swelly belly arrived, but the gas was relieved by tucking one knee up on the bed and trying to do a modified squat...thank heaven's nobody around to hear but me...I had to giggle. Dinner was good, mashed potatos, carrots, beets and fruit salad. I'm vegetarian, but I ate it all, yay!

Recieved the pathology back, uterus enlarged to twice normal size..yeowch! One small patch of abnormal cells inside uterus and on cervix...mild to moderate dysplasia, and NOT the carcinoma in situ I experienced 12 years ago but well on it's way. Also mild endometriosis. I'm very glad I got a second opinion. I'm fairly positive that this operation would have been the result after tests, leep etc.

Day 4: Has arrived, looking forward to more motrin in about 20 minutes, already walked a few laps around the kitchen and am drinking ice water. Going to go back to the room in a few and read, also wait for my hand to wake up. It's not the first time I've slept so hard I put a limb to sleep. Big concern...I slept so well I put my left hand to sleep and my ring and pinky finger haven't woke up yet. A friend of mine had a baby five weeks ago and she died of a blood clot two weeks ago Sunday. Think I'll give it another half hour or so and then call and find out if it's something I should be scared of or not. Call me a worry wort...

Second concern...no shower in the downstairs part of the house. Gonna need sponge bathed...will that keep me clean enough? One of those questions I didn't even think to ask the Doc yesterday.

Ladies, it wasn't that bad, your worst enemy is yourself and your fear. Yes, you will be sore, but it's a major surgery and right now my current pain is less then my weakest period cramp. I'm taking one 800 mg. motrin to control the pain. My doctors and nurses were angels and my biggest problem is keeping entertained and not overdoing it.
Unread 12-17-2009, 08:27 AM

Hello Ladies,

This is my first post other than my intro post. I had my Da Vinci surgery on Tues Dec 15th. We took the cervix and uterus and left my ovaries.

Day of surgery...I arrived at the hospital at 9AM for my 10:50AM surgery. I was so excited! I was awake when they took me into the room and I got to see the robot and all the equipment. It was really neat. The last thing that I remember was them wrapping my arms with a blanket and using a chip clip to keep it in place. They finally placed a face mask on me and I was out cold after telling the anesthesiologist to make sure I was asleep before they started (I watch too much TV)

I woke up sometime in the afternoon with a catheter, oxygen and a morphine. Most of that day was a blur. I had some cramping but most of the discomfort was from the catheter. They took me upstairs and tried to make me comfortable. My Dr came in and said everything went well and I could get up when ever I felt like it. I decided to stay in bed for a while. I still had the catheter and these things on my legs to keep the blood from clotting. I knew once I took them out that I would have to get up so we removed them the next morning. I did not get much sleep in the hospital. It took me over 6 hours to eat a turkey sandwich because my mouth was so dry. I would take a bite and nod off to sleep for 20 minutes and wake up with it stuck to my cheek!

Day 2-We removed the catheter around 5AM and started on the percocet so I could get home by noon. I finally got out of bed at 10AM. I was really shaky and it took me a while to get on my feet. Once I was up and moving I could really tell a difference between the morphine and the percocet although the pain was not as bad as I had anticipated. I would call it more of uncomfortable than pain. I was released about noon to come home. The ride home was rough (I did take a pillow) and the walk to the steps was very difficult. I went right to bed. I have been sleeping on and off since I returned home. My longest strech was 6 hours last night. The bad part is that I slept through my medicine and when I woke up I could hardly move. I was very sore and it felt like I was his by a truck. I have also had a lot of gas pains. They seem to by in my intestines, not too much in the shoulder.

Day 3- I am up at the computer now still trying to get the achenes back under control. I am really tired but I do not want to get back in bed right now. I am going to cat nap on the recliner in the living room.

So far I am pleased with everything. Recovery is never fun, but I have to admit, it is VERY NICE being waited on hand and foot! My DH has moved to the sofa (he tosses and turns all night so I kicked him out) so I have a CA King bed all to myself complete with my library books and all the on demand that I want!

I hope everyone else is doing well.
Unread 12-17-2009, 07:50 PM

I had my LAVH on the 15th at 3:30. Removal of the right tube and ovary as well.
The pain was not too bad.. the cathader was the worst part. they removed it the following am.. only they forgot to remove the packing.. I tried for hours to urinate over several feet of gauze! The straining caused a lot of bladder soreness and now hemorrhoids. I have never had those in my life. It wasn't until I strained some of the packing out that I was able to show the problem. Hopefully with that bump in the road behind me I can move forward from here.
Stayed in the hospital 28 hours, then came home!!
I am sore, but have had no problem getting around or eating. Tried too soon to cut back on my pain meds.. won't try that again for a day or two..
will update soon.
Unread 12-17-2009, 08:41 PM

I had LAVH and ovaries removed, TOT, A&P on Monday. I was told it took more than an hour to get me intubated before surgery began, then my uterus was much larger than expected and had to be removed in pieces. All together, the surgery was 4 1/2 hours. My pain has been minimal - more disomfort and tenderness. My bladder isn't funtioning that well, so I was in hospital until today. They removed catheter but sent me with one to do "in and out" catheterization on myself if I get blocked. The idea of having to do that freaks me out a bit! I do have a nurse friend who has offered to do it if necessary, but I hope things don't reach that place. Any suggestions about how to handle my bladder issues are welcome. I have ibuprofen for pain, something for bladder spasms and cipro. I am tired but happy to be home.
Unread 12-17-2009, 08:49 PM

Hello all I tried to post previously...but somehow I lost it...Here goes again.* My TVH plus bladder sling was Dec. 15 at 9:10 a.m.* I too cried on my way to the OR...but I did manage to control myself before I saw the surgeon.* I remember the OR holding room - they gave me a nice warm blanket and started my IV (the 3rd attempt - they had tried twice in ambulatory surgery!).* Anyhow - I do NOT remember actually going to the OR.* I don't mean to scare any of my pre-op sisters - but the pain immediately followng the surgery was FAR worse than I expected.* I am not a wimp...and I am not a complainer and maybe that's why it took me by surprise.* I had convinced myself that I would sail through this with nary a pain pill....doesn't life have a way of humbling us!I am a small person, but the recovery room nurses told my family that they gave me enough pain killers for a very large person and didn't dare give me anymore even though I was begging for it.* Back in my room, my sister-in-law (a nurse) was pushing fluids on me, and though I'm grateful now, I was pretty* sick of it then!* I was asking for pain killers, but they wouldn't give me anything until 5 p.m. when I was given fentenol - what a RELIEF!* I had that every 2 hours.* Just before 11 p.m. my nurse asked me if I wanted to walk.* I said no - but told her that if she wanted me to I would.* She said she did want me to walk and she promised me more pain killers if I got up - so I did - catheter, IV bag and all and I walked to the nurses station and back.* I was given another dose of fentenol along with an ibuprofen based pain killer.* I don't know if it was the combination of the two medications, the fact that I had gotten up, or because the first 12 hours after surgery had passed, but I was able to rest comfortably for the rest of the night.* I was awake a lot, but the horrible pain was gone.* I drank a LOT of water, ate some ginger (for gas) and sucked on a few peppermints.* By 6:30 a.m. on the 16th they had removed my catheter (the foley bag had 2000 cc of urine - yes 2000 - so they figured my kidney was working pretty good )* and they also removed the IV - after giving me one last dose of fentenol.* At 9:00 I got up, used the bathroom, brushed my teeth and washed my face, took a stroll up the hall, and ordered breakfast (which only sounded good when I ordered it, not when it actually arrived.* It went back to the kitchen untouched).* Anyhow - when my family arrived at 10:00, they couldn't believe I was the same person they had left the night before.* I did feel like I had pee every 5 minutes - they said that was from the catheter being in.* Everytime I got up to use the bathroom, I walked the hall.* I just wanted to go HOME.I left the hospital at 1:30 p.m. and the ride home was rough.* I laid right down (after using the potty of course!).* By Wed. evening, my bladder had calmed down and I was able to sleep okay.* I used my body pillow (what a wonderful purchase that was!) and my tummy binder (another awesome purchase!).* I have tried to cut back my pain meds to just tylenol....but I believe I will take the prescribed narcotic before I go to bed this evening.I am already peeing and pooing normally (can't believe I just wrote that!).* I* walk around the house as much as I can and I'm drinking a TON of water and taking my acacia fiber regularly.I have no appetite, though, and I don't know when that will return.* All the gas makes me feel full so quickly.The horrible anticipation of this surgery was so much worse than the acutal surgery.* The recovery is going well, the pain is manageable, and I'm enjoying the time with my incredible husband and my very attentive dog.*
To all of my hyster sisters - thank you for the support and advice!*

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register