vaginal surgery versus da Vinci for cystocele, rectocele, vaginal vault prolapse | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

vaginal surgery versus da Vinci for cystocele, rectocele, vaginal vault prolapse vaginal surgery versus da Vinci for cystocele, rectocele, vaginal vault prolapse

Unread 12-15-2009, 11:04 AM
vaginal surgery versus da Vinci for cystocele, rectocele, vaginal vault prolapse

I just scheduled my surgery for the above procedures. The nurse asked if I wanted da Vinci or vaginal surgery. She said robot surgery had many advantages. no catheter, one night stay, less pain, a more rapid recover. But the odd thing is that vaginal was recommended by the visiting fellow who evaluated me back in May. At that time, I just accepted it, but with today's nurse's endorsement of the robot surgery... I'm at a loss. They DID want me to participate in a study for a new kind of vaginal surgery, so I'm now highly suspicious about their originally pushing the vaginal surgery. They came in with a kit that would be used to measure, etc for this study, as if knowing I would be willing to participate. After their spiel, I declined and that was that. But now I don't know. The nurse certainly made the da Vinci laparoscopic seem the way to go. Almost a no brainer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Re: vaginal surgery versus da Vinci for cystocele, rectocele, vaginal vault prolapse

I had the DaVinci (total hysterectomy) and if I had to go back and do it over again, I'd go with the DaVinci. And, I did have a catheter. I was however, out of the hospital within 24 hours of arriving for my surgery. I've felt great every day post-op for the most part. I've moved around too much a couple of times and paid for it at the end of the day. My biggest surprise has been how good I have felt.
Unread 12-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Re: vaginal surgery versus da Vinci for cystocele, rectocele, vaginal vault prolapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasva View Post
I had the DaVinci (total hysterectomy) and if I had to go back and do it over again, I'd go with the DaVinci. And, I did have a catheter. I was however, out of the hospital within 24 hours of arriving for my surgery. I've felt great every day post-op for the most part. I've moved around too much a couple of times and paid for it at the end of the day. My biggest surprise has been how good I have felt.
That's amazing and awesome! I couldn't believe it when the nurse said it was an overnight as opposed to 3 nights with vaginal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2009, 02:02 PM

I have never heard of staying 3 nights after a vaginal repair surgery. I stayed 2 nights after a vag hyst with repairs (cystocele, rectocele, severe uterine prolapse) plus BSO, but only because I was having problems urinating (ended up going home with the catheter due to lots of swelling from A&P repairs).

I have not heard of A&P repairs being done via da Vinci surgery - did you ask how many of them the surgeon has done that way and what the success rate has been? The 'standard' route for prolapse procedures has always been vaginal. If it's truly a better way, great; I just hope it isn't a case of someone going a little crazy with a fun new toy.

s,
-Linda
Unread 12-15-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferbabe View Post
I have never heard of staying 3 nights after a vaginal repair surgery. I stayed 2 nights after a vag hyst with repairs (cystocele, rectocele, severe uterine prolapse) plus BSO, but only because I was having problems urinating (ended up going home with the catheter due to lots of swelling from A&P repairs).

I have not heard of A&P repairs being done via da Vinci surgery - did you ask how many of them the surgeon has done that way and what the success rate has been? The 'standard' route for prolapse procedures has always been vaginal. If it's truly a better way, great; I just hope it isn't a case of someone going a little crazy with a fun new toy.

-Linda
Wow. I was told 3 nights by 2 different doctors. This is the urogyn department of Mayo in Rochester. I got the idea that both vaginal and da Vinci were pretty standard for them, especially since they allow the patient to choose. I was told that they usually advise the da Vinci for sexually active women because there is less risk of reducing vagina size too much.
Unread 12-15-2009, 03:12 PM

My gyn did my daVinci hysterectomy but never mentioned it for my repair work a month ago.
Unread 12-15-2009, 05:18 PM

I'm going to have to call Mayo Clinic again, because all of these replies leave me more puzzled than ever!
Unread 12-15-2009, 05:53 PM

I am puzzled also. I had robotic surgery for my hyster, and had a sacral colpopexy (sp?), which you may have to fix the vaginal vault prolapse. But since I've never heard of the rectocele and cystocele repairs being done any way except vaginally, I am not sure how the robotic repair would work or be helpful.

I'm suprised that they said you wouldn't have a catheter. I only had rectocele repair this time, but I had a catheter for almost 24 hrs. I was really swollen down there.
Unread 12-16-2009, 07:19 AM

I just had my copoplexy surgery done with the Davinci and it went very well. I also had cystocele, rectocele, vaginal vault prolapse and the copoplexy corrected both. By bringing the vaginal area back to where it was suppose to be both proplapses were fixed. They did some reinforcements so make sure the I did not have any reoccurrence and did a bladder sling. The surgeon was able to do the whole thing with the robot including removal of the uterus. I went this way because repairing the vaginal vault prolapse via the vagina was not considered as good as a repair as doing the copoplexy abdominal for someone my age (43). With DaVinci I had the abdominal surgery done without having to cut my abdomen.

I was in the hospital overnight and went home with a catheter for 3 days then it was removed. I will be 2 weeks out tomorrow and I can say I feel pretty great. I am glad it was not done vaginaly because I have no pain or discomfort at all in the vagina and it makes me less apprehensive towards sex with DH when I get the clear. I just feel normal. No more heaviness, protruding bladder or nothing. I am glad I decided to do the surgery with the robot. Best decision ever.

Read some of the "Our Hysterectomy Stories" for Robotic Assisted surgeries for a feel of recovery.
Unread 12-16-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skachel View Post
I just had my copoplexy surgery done with the Davinci and it went very well. I also had cystocele, rectocele, vaginal vault prolapse and the copoplexy corrected both. By bringing the vaginal area back to where it was suppose to be both proplapses were fixed. They did some reinforcements so make sure the I did not have any reoccurrence and did a bladder sling. The surgeon was able to do the whole thing with the robot including removal of the uterus. I went this way because repairing the vaginal vault prolapse via the vagina was not considered as good as a repair as doing the copoplexy abdominal for someone my age (43). With DaVinci I had the abdominal surgery done without having to cut my abdomen.

I was in the hospital overnight and went home with a catheter for 3 days then it was removed. I will be 2 weeks out tomorrow and I can say I feel pretty great. I am glad it was not done vaginaly because I have no pain or discomfort at all in the vagina and it makes me less apprehensive towards sex with DH when I get the clear. I just feel normal. No more heaviness, protruding bladder or nothing. I am glad I decided to do the surgery with the robot. Best decision ever.

Read some of the "Our Hysterectomy Stories" for Robotic Assisted surgeries for a feel of recovery.
Skachel-- thanks for the info!!! I am strongly leaning toward robotic surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register