Can it wait? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Can it wait?

Trying to decide if I can wait until Feb or not.
I have a uterus 16 week preg. sized and at least 1 large fibroid 12 cm a smaller fibroid 3 cm with more possibly hiding behind calcified deposits.
The large fibroid is pressing on my liver and right kidney.
I have a lot of pelvic pressure and something that feels like it is pressing on the inside of my right hip bone.
I have all the usual symptoms as well.
We just found out that insurance will not cover TAH until sometime in February.
DH wants to go out of pocket and self pay it out, instead of waiting.
Of course I want it done like yesterday LOL,
but I'm having a hard time trying to weigh the risk of waiting to the expense. Any thoughts??????
February isn't that far away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Re: Can it wait?

I wish you the best in your decision.
Unread 12-15-2009, 05:53 PM

I got my hospital bill and I don't even want to begin to think about having to pay that myself. But if you did pay it out of pocket would you be able to claim it on your income tax schedule A for itemized deductions? It has to be over 7.5% (I think - I can never remember until I look at the form, but I know we've never had enough medical expenses to qualify) of your income.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2009, 07:33 PM

Hi prplnutbutrfly

If your symptoms are interfering with your daily life, then February might be pushing it too much. However, if you're able to function and your symptoms haven't been worsening quickly, maybe you would be okay.

Here are some questions you might ask yourself (based completely on things I experienced with my own fibroid): Are you missing work? Are you having people accompany you to the grocery store because you are sometimes unable to push the cart without getting lightheaded? Do you spend most of your time at home lying down with a heating pad or on medication?

Do what is best for your long-term health--and no matter when you have your surgery, it's never too early to start to pamper the princess!
Unread 12-15-2009, 08:18 PM

The hospital has a 45% off for private pay customers.

I don't go out much at all any more. I homeschool my kids ( their curriculum is online so I don't have a lot of prep work I just go through it step by step) Everything has come on suddenly, I don't have any energy to even do the grocery shopping. I have been sending DH with a detailed list. I spend a lot of time laying down trying to "stretch out"
Unread 12-16-2009, 10:05 AM

wow! That's a tough spot to be in. I delayed my surgery to make adjustments to my health insurance too. I really didn't have to... and am now regretting waiting so long! BUT I wasn't looking at paying even 45% of the hospital bill. I know that for my procedure the cost is usually 10 to 14K....
Unread 12-16-2009, 10:20 AM

Yeah including dr. hosp. and anesthesia it will be about 12k with 3k upfront
My husband wants to go ahead with it but I'm dragging my feet because I don't want to be the cause of such a big bill
I don't feel well today which is making decision harder.
Unread 12-16-2009, 10:37 AM

Sounds bad - sorry you have to make such a decision. Can't really help as I went privately in UK as my husband had health insurance, but could have had it done on the National Health if I had wanted to (though with a longer wait). My fibroid was 6-7cm and causing a few problems.

Only possible question is, have you asked your doctor if it will make a difference to the incision you have if the fibroid gets any bigger? I had a horizontal cut, but was told that if the fibroid had got bigger (I considered leaving it for 6 months to see what happened) then I would need a vertical cut.

Think this means a longer recovery (cut through muscles rather than separating them?) and scar would be more obvious. I don't know any medical details though.
Unread 12-16-2009, 03:52 PM

ahhhhhhhh!!!! I just want to scream and cry!
Just spoke to ins. co. and because I forgot to check a box on the form that I didn't see, it won't be covered until MARCH. I left a message with the supervisor and hopefully she can do something. If not then I guess it will be self pay. I don't think I can wait til March. My DH is so confident that it will be taken care of one way or another through faith in God (and I know this), and keeps reminding me that we don't go by how we "feel" we go by faith. I know this too, but when hormones are going crazy it is hard not to pay attention to those "feelings"
Sorry Ladies I just needed to vent a little.
Unread 12-16-2009, 03:57 PM

Oh, what a terrible spot to be in. March seems like such a long way away... I am happy that your husband is making sure that you know whatever you need done, can be done... regardless of the insurance.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register