Cancer Concerns | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cancer Concerns Cancer Concerns

Unread 12-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Cancer Concerns

I am still worried that I could get some other kind of cancer when i go back for my next pap,even though there they took my cervix, uterus and ovaries I still worry i could get some other kind of cancer, then what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Re: Cancer Concerns

Hi dshadow. I know that after a cancer diagnosis, we are apt to continue to fear its return or a new cancer. It's a natural reaction to a devastating diagnosis. My first cancer diagnosis was in 1983, when I had breast cancer at the age of 35. I spent years trying to get my legs under me emotionally and then had a second cancer diagnosis last year---endometrial cancer. It isn't what any person wants to experience, but I've found that one plays the cards that are dealt....., consults with the best doctors, and does what is necessary to get and remain healthy. I've been very fortunate to have had wonderful doctors taking good care of me, a supportive and loving family, my faith, work that I've loved......Thankfully, there's been life after cancer for me, twice!

I hope that you never have to hear that diagnosis again.

Barb A.
Unread 12-21-2009, 06:39 PM

Hi dshadow - I think many of us worry about the same thing. If we had another cancer, we'd deal with that one, too. There are a number of "sisters" who have had more than one cancer. I'm sure one will stop by to give you more informed advice than mine. Just wanted to give you a gentle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2009, 07:19 PM

Like the other ladies have said, it is unfortunate that we were diagnosed with cancer, and this is a normal emotional reacton. Living in fear. I'm sorry you have to go thru this.

I know it is easier said than done, but try not to focus on "what if, what will they do next". Just stay on top of all your follow ups, that is the best you can do and try to stay as healthy as possible. Because we go to our 3 month follow ups, GOD FORBID cancer should rear its ugly head again, it will be caught early and dealt with. I've known a few people who once they dealt with the cancer never went back to their follow ups EVER! Until they were in such excruciating pain, 4 yrs later. And of course the news was bad, the cancer was back and not even treatable. Had they gone to their follow ups, the recurrence could've been caught early and they would've had a better outcome. So, I guess, I'm just saying the best thing you can do for yourself is to stay on top of the appointments and report anything that may be of concern to you. Don't worry about sounding stupid with your medical team. They won't think you're stupid at all.
Unread 12-21-2009, 08:09 PM

I agree with the other ladies. Every twitch, pinch, or "weird" feeling now has me thinking the cancer is back. Its not. But this is what I believe we commonly refer to as cancer head. Hang in there, take it 1 day at a time, and feel free to vent to us whenever needed.
Unread 12-21-2009, 08:43 PM

I had a radical hysterectomy for endometrial cancer nine months ago. Last night, I experienced a tiny bit of spotting. No other symptoms. I phoned the Cleveland Clinic this morning, and have an appointment with my gynecological oncologist tomorrow morning. Now, I am having such a bout of cancerhead that I am a complete wreck. Suddenly, my back aches, my abdomen hurts. Help!
My cancer diagnosis last March was stage 1B. No further treatment.
How common is it for early stage cancer to return after surgery? Am I being hysterical?
Unread 12-21-2009, 09:35 PM

Bottom line~~~~ CANCERHEAD SUCKS!!!! Try to remember that we are all STILL human and we STILL have the same aches and pains as any other person whom has never had to face a cancer diagnosis. It is natural to think " oh no.... it's back"~~~ we all do at one time or another. Be faithful towards your followup care and believe in your medical team....they are watching for the lil beast to rear it' s ugly head so they can kick it's arse [email protected] Until such at time.............LIVE!!!

Someone once told me that " Billie the cancer didn't kill you but it IS keeping you from "LIVING"..........

I needed to hear those words to change my emotional course in this journey.........

I now LIVE~~~ I LAUGH~~~ and I LOVE again.

Cancer tried to rob me of all of this....

The worry is there but I just give it to God and put my faith in him and my medical team.
Unread 12-21-2009, 09:41 PM

Write For Me, I don't think you are being hysterical. But I am like you, sometimes when one thing happens it seems to intensify or cause other symptoms to occur. But you are right in getting in to see your gyno/onco and how great is that you can get in tomorrow morning! My gyno/onco is just down the street from yours at University. I know you are in one of the best possible places. Hopefully you will get some peace of mind tomorrow. Your cancer was pretty earlier, hopefully this is just one of those things. I've read alot of posts where women experience some spotting and even bleeding months after their hysterectomys and it turns out to be due to a benign reason. It is still possible for you too to be benign. But with our histories we are monitored much more carefully. Please let us know how it goes for you tomorrow and I'll be thinking good thoughts for you!
Unread 12-21-2009, 09:47 PM

Well it is good to hear these stories I had stage 1 ovarian cancer 8 years ago an dnow i have a 12cm ovarian mass, my doc says looks bening but wants to remove to make sure and my thought has been if i get cancer twice what are the chances of making it thru it again.. I am only 29.. I am having surgey jan 4th and have been g0od most of this time but today just broke down thinking if it is cancer again could i survive twice? Now my daughter is older, she is 10 how will explain to her. My husband is great is so strong for me and swares to me it wont be cancer this time, but only you guys who have been thru this understand my fears. I start thinking every little minor cramp or pain in any area is turning into cancer! I hate this, but hearing stories of hope helps me and I dont know any of you al but thank you everyone for sharing..
Unread 12-22-2009, 07:04 PM

Thank you for providing the strength and support I needed to get through this appointment today! Still have to wait for the test results to come back, but the doctor said he sees no evidence of the cancer recurring. Said spotting after a hysterectomy is not that uncommon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register