TAH because of adenocarcinoma in-situ on 12-3-09 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH because of adenocarcinoma in-situ on 12-3-09 TAH because of adenocarcinoma in-situ on 12-3-09

Unread 12-26-2009, 04:08 PM
TAH because of adenocarcinoma in-situ on 12-3-09

Do you still need pap smears after TAH because of adenocarcinoma in-situ? If so, how often?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Re: TAH because of adenocarcinoma in-situ on 12-3-09

I had a radicaal hysterectomy on 10/30 for adenocarcinoma in-situ of the cervix and my DR says I need to have a pap every 3 months for the first year then every 6 months the following year. I read that there is stiill some tissue left of the cervix and the top of the vagina replaces that part so it needs to be checked for recurrence.
Unread 12-26-2009, 04:33 PM

Hi...
Im having a hysterectomy for the same reason at the end of the month. Can I ask..how was your surgery...how are you feeling now? I hate to be personal, but has the ''other" part of your life changed much?
I'm just trying to get as much input as I can to prepare myself.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2009, 05:00 PM

I don't want to scare you but everyones experience is different. After my pap smear came back highly abnormal I had to go back to my gyn for the biopsy in the office,2 weeks later I had the cone biopsy,that went really well ,felt fine afterwards . Than I had to see a gyn/onc when the results came back adenocarcinoma in-situ of the cervix. When I went to him he said I definetly need a hysterectomy but we have to wait 6 - 8 weeks after the cone. I just wanted it done,tired of all the tests and being poked and snipped (it all feels a little degrading after a while). If I knew then what I know now I wouldn't be in such a hurry, The surgery lasted 6 hours when I woke up I felt awful, I think more from being on the anesthesia for 6 hours, and I was in pain, couldn't use the morphine after the first day it was making me nauseous. I was so tired in the hospital but couldn't sleep for long, so uncomfortable, it's hard to move in a hospital bed and you can't use your stomach muscles. Couldn't get out of bed till the 3rd day and when I did just the smallest walk made my legs hurt. It has been 8 weeks now and I still feel tired and have trouble sleeping , Didn't really feel better till my 5th week.Feel better now but still have heaviness in my abdomin and numbnes. By other part do you mean sexlife?
Unread 12-26-2009, 05:23 PM

yes, if you have a history of abnormal paps, then, even with the new guidelines that recommend paps less often for most women, you still need to have at least yearly paps, and should have hpv testing done as well to get the best indicator of your gyn health.
Unread 12-26-2009, 11:59 PM

I will be having paps every 4 months for 2 years with the onc/gyno and then if all is fine, he said I can return to my regular gyno.

I am 55 and had a modified radical hysterectomy done davinci robotic. I felt great after 2 weeks and made myself stay quiet for 4 weeks. I never felt any problems, but did find at 3 months I still had an area that did not heal well and had silver nitrate applied. I will be checked again in Jan to see if all is healed. I do not find that I tire any more easily and I never had "swelly belly". However, I now have started having swelling in my legs some days and I'm hoping it's not lymphedema.
Unread 12-27-2009, 09:56 PM

I had a radical hysterectomy (DaVinci) 5/1/09 for adenocarcinoma in-situ. My oncologist has me coming back for PAP smears every 4 months and my first follow-up PAP was abnormal (mild dysplasia). I will continue to see him for 2 -5 years and then back to my regular GYN if this ever clears up!!
And yes, I had the top of my vagina removed as well- so I think you will want to keep up the PAP test. (By the way I kept my ovaries).

By the way- I had DaVinci- surgery was 6 hours- I spent two nights in the hospital and then went home with a Foley Catheter for two weeks. After three weeks I was driving.

I did have 5 lymph nodes removed from my right leg and 4 from my left (all clear). I did notice a fair amount of swelling in my abdomen and upper thigh and assumed it was just post surgery swelling until I woke up one day with a huge swollen leg and foot. After a visit to the hospital to rule out a clot and some other tests- I was diagnosed with LYmphedema and am now spending my time at a Lymphedema Clinic for training for massage and wrapping. Also will be wearing various compression items in the future. I am very active so this is NO fun- and something I was not expecting at all!!!!!!!!
Unread 12-28-2009, 10:03 AM

Hi Shadow,
Sorry for all you had & are going through. xo
Was your operation through your abdomen?
Glad you are starting to feel better. This all sucks!
Yes, I was referring to sex...but it sounds as though that is the least of your worries right now. I hope you stay in touch.
You sound like me...I just wanted it done, but now in reading through the site as well as reading further information in hysterectomies..well let's just say I wish none of us were having to deal with this ****!
Sorry if that's offensive...I don't mean to be. Just expressing myself in my way.
Hope each day brings you back to yourself.
xo
Unread 12-28-2009, 11:05 AM

Hi LSAN62
Yes I had a bikini cut about 7 inches across. My husband and I just had sex the other night, I want to because I'm curious to see if it will be different (you here so many negative stories about it) and besides it been so long since I even thought about sex. My husband takes alot f medications due to a severe accident on his hand 2 years ago and he has high blood pressure and cholesterol .He has some trouble in that area of getting stimulated, so finally we were able to have sex and we went slow. It only hurt a little bit at first but otherwise I do want to have sex ,it felt alittle different and I didn't have an orgasm but it was the first time ( only have to keep trying).
Unread 12-28-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsan62 View Post
Hi Shadow,
Sorry for all you had & are going through. xo
Was your operation through your abdomen?
Glad you are starting to feel better. This all sucks!
Yes, I was referring to sex...but it sounds as though that is the least of your worries right now. I hope you stay in touch.
You sound like me...I just wanted it done, but now in reading through the site as well as reading further information in hysterectomies..well let's just say I wish none of us were having to deal with this ****!
Sorry if that's offensive...I don't mean to be. Just expressing myself in my way.
Hope each day brings you back to yourself.
xo
It's been 4 months for me and I still have not been ok'd for sex. I thought I was fine and then thankfully got checked a month ago before visiting my husband and was told if I had sex my intestines could have fallen out because I had an area that had not healed properly and was very thin. I about died and now I am a bit scared about it. But I am going back on the 6th and will just have them assure me I am indeed healed enough or else I will just wait longer. This whole thing does suck and involves so much more than I ever imagined. I have heard of so many women having hysterectomies and it seems like it was no big deal. I guess when cancer is involved there are a lot more issues especially if they take the upper part of the vagina. And then I read about all the women on here who go on to have radiation and further surgery or treatments and I feel so bad for them. We just have to count our blessings of being able to have our lives and being relatively healthy!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register