Cervical Cancer: path report found cancer cells in cervix post op but no tumour- very unusual!HELP | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

path report found cancer cells in cervix post op but no tumour- very unusual!HELP path report found cancer cells in cervix post op but no tumour- very unusual!HELP

Unread 12-27-2009, 02:21 AM
path report found cancer cells in cervix post op but no tumour- very unusual!HELP

Hi every one,
hope you had a good christmas.
Found out just before christmas that my path report, for a hysterectomy for recurrent cin 3 was, and I quote,
'very unusual'. They have found invasive squamous cancer cells scattered across the top of my cervix. but no tumour.
squamous cells shouldn't apparently be up that high. Best guess is that a small tumour was wiped out during a loop excision last feb.
nothing in all the biopsies i had before op suggested anything other than cin3. The cells are in the blood veins according to my now, new surgeon ,and i have to have an MRI in early january before he puts a treatment plan in place .this is either more surgery to remove lymph nodes
to check them for cancer spread and a bit of internal radiotherapy, or external radiotherapy.
not exactly the christmas suprise i wanted but at this stage i have moved into planet surreal and cannot even remember what the turkey tasted like. hubby really worried ,as in our 25 years together i have never before lost my appetite!!
I am up and down like a yo-yo, and very upset that after a battle with my gyne to keep my perfectly healthy ovaries,
they are now likely to be killed off by the radiation.
Has anyone out there had this experience or am i as unusual as they think. My oncologist says he is consulting others about my case before he makes his next move.
pauline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2009, 05:15 AM
Re: path report found cancer cells in cervix post op but no tumour- very unusual!HELP

Hello. I've been watching your thread and wondering if anyone would respond. I've been through several post-op surgeries, one that was a series of surgical biopsies and three others that were laser surgeries. (There are not enough spaces in our signature lines for me to report on all of this!) My gyn onc reports on each pathology, each time. It's fairly common for our surgeries to distribute cells in unusual ways, to my understanding. Indeed, I have had biopsies taken of the whole vaginal vault, only to have them come out without sign of cancerous cells. The gyn onc says that probably what happened in these cases is that the pap and then colposcopy (his procedures for deciding whether to put me through surgical biopsies or laser ablation) took all the troublesome cells and that's why he comes up empty-handed during the more invasive procedures. I have a fairly aggressive amount of pre-cancer activity, and, evidently, a low immunity defense.

A long story, sorry - the short version is that I don't think your situation is necessarily very unusual, based on my experience at least. I hope you get some answers soon!

I wanted to add that I'm sorry you feel as if you are battling to keep your ovaries. Keeping them will help, perhaps, through menopause. But sometimes keeping them can add complications later on. Some of the women on the site have reported having to have surgery to remove them after they've had their hyst. Perhaps in your research, you might want to search this site and read up on the posts by women who talk about having kept their ovaries? Maybe one of the hostesses will come along soon and offer you some suggestions for readings on this site.

I hope things turn out however you'd like them to turn out. Let us know what happens, okay?
Unread 12-29-2009, 10:58 AM
Re: path report found cancer cells in cervix post op but no tumour- very unusual!HELP

thanks blueheron,
Just back from a few r&r days away. It was great to get away, cabin fever had set in for me as i was pretty house bound post-op plagued with a bladder infection that was wearing me down. but thankfully my
doc phoned on christmas eve, bless her ,to say that a lab report had finally found the bacteria that was causing my infec. and a new fourth
round of anti-biotics has worked. I really felt that i was looking at new
surgery in a weakened position but am beginning to feel more like my old self which is great. Its the waiting thats hardest especially as i had a breast cancer scare two weeks post op which was thankfully benign.
its been a roller coaster since I thought my brush with pre-cancer was behind me after my hyst! looks like you have dealt with many 'surprises'
yourself.its very reassuring that so many women have been through much more than me and are sharing their stories, so selflessly on this site.
I kept my ovaries after a lot of research and my own history of having had very debilitating 24 hour morning sickness with both of my pregnancies from homonal fluctuations.I don't regret that for one minute and if they go they go, but i made the best decision for me with the info that was available to me at that time.
will post updates from my mri and next consultation in jan.
hopefully when i adjust to this new twist in my story i will be able to help others who are dealing with this HPV misbehaving stuff.
stay well,and have a great new year,
pauline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2009, 05:20 AM

Hello. You DO sound refreshed in your message. There are many ups and downs, emotionally speaking, as we cope with our new selves. I hope you have a good new year, too!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register