hysters and ovarian/cervical cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hysters and ovarian/cervical cancer hysters and ovarian/cervical cancer

Unread 09-26-2001, 02:31 PM
hysters and ovarian/cervical cancer

I was just wondering...

Did any of you sisters have a hysterectomy scheduled for something like fibroids or an enlarged uterus and then the MD found cancer?

OR...for those of you with ovarian/cervical cancer...did the MD know or suspect before the surgery?

thanks...still nervous.

Freckle, aka Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2001, 02:56 PM
findings

I am going to the castle tomorrow and am starting to worry about what all they might find. I'm anxious to hear what others have to say about that and their experiences. Thanks, JH
Unread 09-26-2001, 03:10 PM

The reason for my TAH/BSO is because of family history of ovarian cancer, my mom had it and her mom died from it. My Mom also has had breast cancer. Last nov a small complex cyst was seen on my right ovary by ultra sound. I am watched because of family history and in June when I had my annual checkup I also had a trans vag. ultra scheduled. This time they could not find the right ovary so they did the CA125 blood test which is a tumor marker for ovarian cancer. Well it came back high. After seeing many ob/gyn oncologists as well as my ob/gyn they all felt given once you can feel and see ovarian cancer it is usually too late and in my case they could not feel it, everything felt normal but test was high and I have a strong family history this was the safest route. Still don't know for sure as the pathology report will take a while. She said everything looked good to her eye but has to disceted and all checked out to be sure and it takes time. Hopefully by next week I will finally know! If it is cancer I know we have caught it early and I am one of the lucky ones and if it isn't great, I now don't have to worry any more about that end, and now only have to deal with the breast! Do I feel I made a mistake no way! Cathy TAH/BSO POVC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2001, 03:41 PM

Hi Lisa,

I think I may have replied to you on pre-op a few days ago, and so I am probably repeating myself here, but in my case they did know pre-surgery that my tumor was cancerous. I had an ultrasound and they found the mass on the ovary, but that alone did not tell them if it would be malignant or benign, so I had the CT scan the next day, and my gyn had the oncologist look at the results and from that along with blood tests, they determined it was more likely to be cancerous than not to be.

I know its hard not to worry Lisa, and I guess in a way it was easier for me going into surgery knowing what they expected to find, so when I awoke my first question was do I need chemo, not was it malignant. I had 2 weeks of this knowledge between my CT scan and my surgery, so I had some time to digest what I was facing.

Try to keep positive thoughts!!
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!
Hugs,
Maria
PS: Cathy, keeping you in my thoughts and prayers as well that your path reports come back clear!!
Unread 09-26-2001, 04:35 PM

To sum it up rather quickly...My papsmear came back bad so then I had a biopsy done. That came back bad too, so we knew that we were dealing with cervical cancer. After surgery the organs are always sent to pathology where they are looked at closely and the full diagnosis was made. Luckily I was "carcinoma in situ", meaningly it was the early stages and I didn't need additional treatments of any kind.
I really do think that we all worry if they will find more than we are expecting before going in for surgery. The doctor will tell you what he is expecting to find and why. Have you asked your doctor? I am sure that you will feel better once you open up to him and ask some questions.
I also wanted to welcome you over to the forum and invite you to feel free to ask anything that is on your mind. It helps to talk to others who have been there and we are all very happy to help in anyway!
Unread 09-26-2001, 06:58 PM

Hi Lisa,

I didn't know "for sure" that mine was going to be cancer but the odds of it not being it were pretty slim. I had first discovered a problem quite by accident after requesting a CA125 blood test done. It came back extremely elevated, next was sent to the Gyn for an exam, MRI which showed a large mass and then consulted with my Gyn Oncologist.

We didn't completely rule out other conditions but the chances were pretty slim considering all factors. It gave me time and helped me adjust to the probability of facing cancer.

I know its nervewracking at best wanting to know exactly what's going on but try to be patient if you can and concentrate on the positive thoughts of healing whatever is ailing you.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to you. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 09-27-2001, 04:52 AM

My condition was precancerous before my hyster. Unfortunately , they didnt remove it all and it eventually progressed to cancer . Cervical cancer is usually very easily detected , not like ovarian. The two cancers are not related . I know how scared you must be feeling right now, we have all had some experience with cancer and we are here for you, please dont forget that. Sending you lots of love x x x
Unread 09-27-2001, 08:23 AM

Hi, Lisa -

Well I guess I'm a little different then most of the ladies here. It was discovered that I had a large left ovarian mass when I had an abdominal and pelvic ultrasound done to try and determine why I was bleeding so heavily. This was ordered by my PCP and she then sent me on to my OB/GYN for further evaluation. I had a pap smear done along with an endometrial biopsy and blood work to start out with. The pap was abnormal but the biopsy and the CA125 were not. My CA125 was 8! The pap was done while I was still bleeding and my doctor thought this may have something to do with the abnormal results. He then did a transvaginal ultrasound and found nothing. He also did a colposcopy which also found nothing abnormal. He was almost ready to say hold off on the hysterectomy but decided to send me for a CT scan. The scan showed that the "mass" was still there. He wanted to do an exploratory surgery but I said no way. I was 52 years old at the time, had been having irregular periods for over 2 years, and was tired of having no periods for two or three months and then having the periods from he!! when I did start. I would bleed so heavily that I needed to change pads at least every half hour if not sooner. So I told him I would only agree to a TAH/BSO. That was done on 12/5/2000 and I did great! He had a GYN/ONC assist him just in case but my mass was benign. Surgery was only 90 minutes, minimal blood loss and I had very little pain. Then on the day he discharged me, he came in my room with this long face and said he needed to tell me about my pathology report. Apparently they found a very small carcinoma-in-situ in my cervix. He couldn't believe it. After all the tests I had done before my surgery, nothing had indicated this at all. The little sucker was just starting and had not invaded any where else so they got all of it and I didn't need any further treatment. Boy, was I glad I insisted on the full surgery! I don't have a family history of this so it was that much more of a surprise. My OB/GYN was still talking about this when I went and had my staples out and when I went for my six week check up. He just can't believe all the tests missed it!

Good luck to you!

:usflag:
Unread 09-27-2001, 06:14 PM

Hi Lisa:

I never had any gynocological problems before my pap came back abnormal. Gyn called it benign atypia. He scheduled me for a colposcopy. He told me he really didn't expect to find anything. He figured the pap results were a false positive. Unfortunately he was wrong. He referred me to an oncologist for surgery. I ended up having a radical hysterectomy. I had Stage 1b invasive cervical cancer. Lucky for me, it hadn't spread outside the cervix.

My gyn has been practice over 25 years, and he said he had never had a pap come back as benign atypia that ended up being invasive cervical cancer. Sometimes you just never know!

Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 10-01-2001, 06:36 AM

I went in for a pelvic ultrasound to get a baseline picture of suspected fibroids, no treatment planned, just a baseline, and they found not only fibroids, but also ovarian cancer, and dermoid tumors. What a shock, and I was very frightened by the questions the tech was asking. When she asked when my next appointment with the doc was, and I said "next year for my regular yearly exam" SHE got scared, and all but ran out of the room to call my doctor.

I had a hysterectomy two weeks later, and am doing very well a year later. (well 11 months.)

Maggie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register